PDA

View Full Version : power and boot problem

Alvin Alvrez
06-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi, I have a problem with a pc not powering up, the power supply is fine as are all the cards and ram installed. When the machine is turned on the power lights all come up but the drives won't power up. If I disconect for example, the ide cables the drives will power up but as soon as I re-connect them they do nothing. Sometimes the machine will bootup perfectly. I assume it must be a motherboard problem but if anyone else has come accross this I really need to know.

Thanks
Alvin Alvrez

Steve Askew
06-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Hi Alvin, Sounds like the ide cable may be around the wrong way, have you checked that pin 1 on the ide cable (Usually a red stripe) matchs pin 1 on the motherboard?

cheers Steve

Kame
07-02-2003, 01:34 AM
Are the IDE cables around the right way?

Another possibility is that your power supply isn't powerful enough to power all your hardware components.

Alvin Alvrez
07-02-2003, 08:05 AM
The ide cables are fine, I've changed them to different ones, makes no difference.
The strange part is sometimes the pc will bootup perfectly into win98.
I have checked the power out to the drives when the power is on (but the machine hasn't booted) and it's fine there (have also tried a 300watt psu out of my machine).
I can only think it must be either a bad earth on the motherboard or a componet breaking down, or even a dry joint somewhere.

The possiblilty of it being the bios is also there.

Any idears?

HELP..

Graham L
07-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Try unplugging the IDE cables, and booting from a floppy.

Then double (or treble) check that the IDE cables are the right way round. That is, that pin 1 on the mother board goes to pin 1 on the drives. If they are flipped, you will have be grounding some of the bus lines, and this does not help the computer to work. ;-)

If you are using CS selection (unlikely, but possible) make sure that the cable has the correct end connected to the MB. (All 40 wires go MB to first drive, then there are only 39 wires to the second drive). Wrong way= No Go.