PDA

View Full Version : Win xp - Dialup Adapter

Beef
06-02-2003, 08:43 PM
i want to give my beginner friend who just bought a new computer with win xp, I was setting it up for him and I forgot to install Dialup Adapter, can you give me a step by step on how to install it

Jim B
06-02-2003, 09:12 PM
What make you think you do not have everything you need to set up a connection.
Is the "connect using a dialup modem" greyed out in the connection Wizard.

Beef
06-02-2003, 09:35 PM
he can connect to the internet, just i forgot to install that I think cause it comes up with PPP error and TCP error sometimes

And I asked for a Step-BY-Step guide not a question

Stumped Badly
06-02-2003, 10:10 PM
XP doesn't install "dial up adapter" as found in Win9x versions.
If your friend can connect to the internet then his problems lie elsewhere & a bit more info on his problem will be needed if we are to supply a "step-BY step guide"

I was going to ask about a couple of things that happen when he does connect, but I see you're not taking questions..........

Beef
06-02-2003, 10:13 PM
i said it comes up with a PPP error and sometimes a TCP error when connecting to remote computer..I can't remember, and i don't have easy access to his computer

Kame
06-02-2003, 10:22 PM
These errors sometimes show up usually when the connection goes wrong. There must be more to the error than just the simple error message. Usually a code with it as well.

The error could be related to it not getting a dialtone, port already open, engaged signal (not being able to connect to the other computer), etc.

It could well be setup correctly but his ISP may not be the best.

Elephant
06-02-2003, 10:53 PM
If you want help here then I would suggest you answer any questions put to you if you know.

Dial up is installed by default in WinXP if a modem was in the system unit to begin with.

Click Start, Control Panel, Network connections.

Have you a dial up connection set up in there?

Have you the correct setting for the ISP in there?

Oooooooppppppsssss.... Sorry..... More question!!!!

Beef
07-02-2003, 07:51 PM
of course.

The connection was installed via Xtra's Connection Disk.

I think it was 768 for the PPP error I can't remember, I don't particulary see him everyday

Sorry about getting mad at the asking questions, I don't really know XP and I thought you could install it manually. (stupid windows XP) i hate it

Jim B
07-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Error 768 is unusual, it is due to having data encryption selected.
It is more likely to be error 678 which means the ISP modem is not answering usually due to an incorrect setting in the dialup connection somewhere.

I suggest you delete the connection and set up a new one with the wizard and then you will know everything is correct.
Go to Start/control panels/Network connections.
Right click on the Xtra connection and delete it.
Click on create a new connection and follow the wizard.
Set the following on each page
Connect to the internet
Setup my account manually
Connect using a dialup modem
Type ISP name, Xtra connection number,username and password
This will give you a connection with everything correct.

He could always call Xtra helpdesk, they should be able to sort it out quickly.