PDA

View Full Version : Sending 'BCC' bulk email to all contacts in MS Outlook

tonymck
06-02-2003, 06:06 PM
I need to send a generic email out to all my personal and business contacts. I'm just sending them my updated email address info. but I don't want every person knowing who else is in my contacts file, hence the need for a bulk BCC mailout.

In the past I have had people send me emails like this, and noticed they had 'undisclosed recipients' in their BCC box, if this is the way to go, how do you do it? And in the TO: box do I simply put my own email address?

Regards
Tony.

Susan B
06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Very easy - first of all create a new contact, call it "Undisclosed Recipients" and put in your own email address.

Next create a new message, put your new "Undisclosed Recipients" contact name in the usual "To:" field, then add all your other contacts to the "Bcc:" field, fill in the message section and away you go. :-)

tonymck
06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Much appreciated, thanks Susan.
Tony.

Thomas
06-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Can't see need for first part?
I go to Bcc ,put names in and to my knowledge all recipients are unaware of the the others.

rayonline
07-02-2003, 12:34 PM
jus more formal i guess.
if u send BCC all people will think u sent an email to them only since they only see FROM: you, To: them only (1 recipient).

Undisclosed tells people this is a email sent to mass people.

Ray

Susan B
07-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Have done an experiment since my previous post in this thread with interesting results.

Am now using Eudora for emails rather than Outlook Express and have noticed that the "Undisclosed Recipients" contact doesn't actually show in the "From:" field as "Undisclosed Recipients" like I expected it to but rather has the email address that I used for this dummy contact. I am pretty sure that OE would display "Undisclosed Recipients" but I could be wrong. It isn't a problem unless you actually want the sender to be displayed as "Undisclosed Recipients".

Interestingly, by leaving the "To:"field out and just completing the "Bcc:" field the emails display "(Recipient list suppressed)" indicating that it was part of a bulk email send out.

It shouldn't matter which method one uses, unless very fussy, but do remember that different email clients may display things slightly different to how you see them in your own client.

rayonline
07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Outlook 2k, has this:

TO: myself as i have defined "undisclosed recipients"
BCC: always does not appear *as should*

i like this ... esp when u want to pple to know its a mass email.
Rayonline

rayonline
07-02-2003, 04:16 PM
i doh really like leaving to: out.
since if u have 10 recipients on BCC and none on TO:

what pple will see is

TO: each recipient.

therefore pple would think u send an email jus for them .... where sometimes u not want their impression.