PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mmmm Dark Chocolate ;)

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Mmmm Dark Chocolate ;) (http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/60/66964.htm)

Susan B
06-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Just what you wanted to hear, eh Liam? :D

wuppo
06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Remember dogs can't tolerate chocolate - dark is worst for them. A large bar is enough to take out a 20kg mutt :|

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
;):D

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:34 PM
> Remember dogs can't tolerate chocolate - dark is
> worst for them. A large bar is enough to take out a
> 20kg mutt :|

Yea, out neighbor’s miniature dash hound ate a nice size bar and had to be rushed to the vet :(

raddersnz
06-02-2003, 12:37 PM
But the last paragraph states -
Best to keep your chocolate intake moderate, she points out. Healthy eating means incorporating a wide range of phytochemical-rich foods including fruits and vegetables, teas, and red wine.
Just remember that Liam

radz:p

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:46 PM
What’s that radders, the text seems to have gone ALL BLURRY :D I can’t make out a thing :p

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Wait, it's comming back now; Best to keep your chocolate intake, she point out. Healthy eating means incorporating a wide range wine.

Thanks for the tip radders, I'll keep that in mind :D

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 12:57 PM
*Decides to fix up the grammatical errors;

Wait, it's coming back now; Best to keep your chocolate intake, she points out. Healthy eating means incorporating a wide range of wine.

Thanks for the tip radders, I'll keep that in mind :D

raddersnz
06-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Thats right Liam, I'm glad you're going to Auckland University this year. They could do with some smarts peoples. Never enough smarts peoples these days.
Just be wary of the new law going around up there, and stay on a leash:p - at all times:p

radz G) :D

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Is that law for 'Akl City' or for tha 'Greater AKL region', cause we have some dong round here that yould realy use locking up (or a bullet).

raddersnz
06-02-2003, 01:19 PM
I believe it is for tha 'Greater AKL region'.
So no matter where you go, you'll need a leash on.:p

>>cause we have some dong round here that yould realy use locking up (or a bullet).
If they are as bad as that,, I think the owners will end up getting fined for breach of law. There is to be increased "dog controll" numbers.

Billy T
07-02-2003, 10:22 AM
So what happens if you feed a dog chocolate? Don't keep us all in suspense :O

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
What kind of fool would waste perfectly good chocolate
on a dog anyway. I mean, like, what planet are they from.?:|

godfather
07-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Chocolate contains theobromine (a compound similar to caffeine) which is poisonous to dogs.

A dose of 50 mg/lb can be fatal to a dog.

Milk chocolate contains 45 mg of theobromine per ounce and unsweetened baking chocolate contains 400 mg per ounce.

Just one ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate can kill a small breed dog. Theobromine when ingested by dogs causes release of epinephrine (adrenaline) which causes the heart to race and serious cardiac arrhythmias to develop.

Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, hyperactivity followed by depression and coma, seizures, and death.

wuppo
07-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Chocolate contains a toxin - theobromine. While humans tolerate theobromine, dogs can't. Enough of it will cause spasms / convulsions and death.

Unfortunately, chocolate is as attractive to dogs as it is humans, so they generally help themselves if it is within reach... :|

Jen C
07-02-2003, 11:41 AM
If you are wondering about the chocolate treats that you can buy in the supermarket for dogs ....

... food manufacturers producing "chocolate" treats for pets will either use a vegetable substitute which looks and tastes similar to human chocolate, extract the theobromine or use greatly reduced, safe levels

Cats shouldn't be fed chocolate either (same toxicity problem).

Moral of the story: Don't share your chocolate with anyone :D

antmannz
07-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Perhaps every small kiddie should be armed with a big block of chocolate as part of a dog defense pack. ;\

Susan B
07-02-2003, 12:07 PM
> What kind of fool would waste perfectly good chocolate

Only a stupid fool, Billy. :D

Seriously though, I think the biggest danger would be little children scoffing chocolate and either dropping it or giving in to the greedy drooling hound watching them and willing them to hand some over.

Best to keep little children eating chocolate away from Liam as well. :p :D

antmanzz: Just previewed this post when your reply came in.... good thinking! ;-) :D

-=JM=-
07-02-2003, 12:23 PM
there ain't no way I'm sharing chocolate with no one..;.... unless they share as well.

nz_liam
07-02-2003, 12:55 PM
> Cats shouldn't be fed chocolate either (same toxicity
> problem).

Really ]:) We have four annoying cats here ]:) *Goes to shop to buy the cats a late x-mas present :D

*This post was brought to you from a Linux box :D

nz_liam
07-02-2003, 12:57 PM
> Best to keep little children eating chocolate away
> from Liam as well. :p :D

*You wont beat me in AA by depriving me of chocolate; those MRE's contain M&M's :D

Clueless
07-02-2003, 03:09 PM
I used to feed my dog a bit of dark chocolate most days... shes as healthy as!

The type was whitakers dark choc sante bars.

I only stopped when the price went from 50c each to 65c each, and i thought it was time to end that addiction.

.Clueless

TonyF
07-02-2003, 05:32 PM
> > What kind of fool would waste perfectly good
> chocolate
>
> Only a stupid fool, Billy. :D

Yes indeed - dark chocolate is yummy, almost as good as bananas and cream !

"Impenetrable shields " Sort of eletronic condom ..... )

promethius
07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Clueless....that whitakers stuff isnt real chocolate...its compound chocolate....and it tastes really horrible.....u really didn't like your dog did you...

nz_liam
07-02-2003, 07:43 PM
>u really didn't like your dog did you...

I would have to discgree on Clueless's behalf, I think he loves his dog, hell his dog has a website!

Clueless
07-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Can't stand the ***** (http://something.orcon.net.nz/f1/images/Pugwash.jpg)

.Clueless

nz_liam
07-02-2003, 08:21 PM
LOL (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pugwash/)

Heather P
07-02-2003, 09:05 PM
So the answer is "Don't give chocolate to dogs, cats or children (in case they feed the dog)". Excellent idea - all the more for me! Does that mean I should stop my husband eating it too in case he feeds it to the dog?

Dog paranoia is running riot. Heard today of an 82 year old lady with an ancient 14 year old dog who regularly stroll down to the Mission Bay shops. Instant fine of $200 cause the pooch wasn't on a lead. Madness for the next month by the sounds of it.