PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Stylus 660 printer

summertime
05-02-2003, 08:22 PM
I thought I had a problem of empty cartridges but when I took the printer in to be checked the technician said it would not recognise the refilled colour cartridge. He said this would be because of the "heads" and would be costly to fix. Is there another solution apart from throwing the printer out?

drys
05-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Summertime. Is this a refilled old cartridge or a new cartridge Epson have an on board IC that needs to be reset if its a refilled cartridge for it to work.
Trev

rugila
05-02-2003, 09:26 PM
I've got an Epson Stylus 670 USB which I think is essentially the same printer. Always worked fine with all of (a) genuine Epson cartridges (b) Calidad cartridges (c) refilled (by me) black cartridge. Never tried refilling colour myself though.
If you used refilled cartridge, wouldn't an alternative to throwing printer out be to use genuine Epson cartridges instead of the refill, expensive though they may seem.

summertime
05-02-2003, 10:17 PM
The technician said he couldn't get it to work with either a refilled cartridge or a brand new one....the printer won't recognise the colour cartridge. Any suggestions?

Gordon.
06-02-2003, 07:24 AM
There is a place in Christchurch that does (used to) repairs to printers and also supplies aftermarket ink cartridges for Epson and others.

The address is New Zealand Shareware, 114.A Conway Street in Barrington. He works from home so you could call by and see what he can do for you. They also have a web site below

http://www.inkjet.co.nz/newcarts.html

It is always possible that you are getting led along the garden path.

Before you fork out for something new I would suggest you get a different opinion. If its crapped itself the father/son team at Conway Street will tell you so.

rugila
06-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Gordon has good suggestions.
Maybe the problem is with the technician rather than with the printer.

Graham L
07-02-2003, 03:03 PM
The printer probably has replaceable printheads, so the tech might be right. But usually poor/no printing would be the symptom of a dead piezo head. However Epson tell you that if a cartridge is removed, it can't be put back in. So the "ink Out" light stays on. :-(

I had this problem with a Stylus 200. Lots of ink; determined to not accept the cartridge. Since I was just checking it before tossing it (part of an auction lot) I wasn't concerned, but I fiddled a bit just for fun.

I got it to accept the cartridge by: Power on, use the Load/Eject button to move the head to changing position. Remove cartridge. POWER OFF. Power on after a while, Go through the Load/Eject again to get to change position, and replace the cartridge. (Epson warn you not to push the heads around by hand. I agree with Epson ... it could easily do damage).

At least I think that's what I did :D ... I was fiddling. A couple of head cleans, and it's good as gold. (That was a black cartridge (Stylus color 200 has separate head/cartridge units for colour and black, and uses only one at a time ... I think the 660 has both in place at the same time).

summertime
08-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I have been in touch with inkjet and he is going to look at it for me.