PDA

View Full Version : 2x ICQ's and Contact merging

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Im wanting to run 2x ICQ number at the same time on the same PC. Is it possible???

Also, Im wanting to migrate my old contacts to my new number - Can it be done simply with a program (Im using ICQ Lite here) or do I need to do it one at a time manually???

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

caffy
05-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Have you searched on internet?

I know there is a program out, that you can download and it enables you to run more than one MSN Messenger account at the same time.

Found out about this throught the internet, so maybe you could do the same for ICQ?

Horses Hoof
05-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Fantastic if you have a split personality. Will Trillion do it?

wotz
05-02-2003, 06:53 PM
The full version has the option to send contacts, but I'm not sure about importing at the other side. To run two, you might have to run a lite version and a full version. I'm not sure that will work either. You might have to modify the install path for one of them.

Kame
05-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Like me, I have no friends on ICQ so I tend to talk to myself alot. I run ICQ and Trillian. You could use ICQ2Go (web-base) and make it look like you have 2 friends on your contact list.

Basically any program that can run ICQ other than the official ICQ should work. I don't know if Linux version's of ICQ have been ported to Windows but you could try them.

Susan B
05-02-2003, 08:51 PM
> Im wanting to run 2x ICQ number at the same time on the same PC. Is it possible???

Ummm, yes you can. :p :D Like Kame says, use ICQ proper and Trillian.

> Also, Im wanting to migrate my old contacts to my new number

I haven't tried doing it with ICQ but with Trillian I just grabbed the folder with all the contacts in it and pasted it over the new (empty) contacts folder. With ICQ proper I have the following information in my notes for backing up ICQ. Note that it's a bit old now and thus refers to an older version of ICQ but it may still apply:

This one is pretty easy to backup. First, upgrade your version of ICQ to the newest version. Then, you need to find your install directory. Open up Windows Explorer (Start, Programs, Windows Explorer). From there, go to your ICQ directory (if you didn't specify the installation directory elsewhere, it's C:\Program Files\ICQ.)

From there, go to the "2000b" directory, and take all the files and back them up. These are the contact list files that you have, and it's the easiest way to keep them in the "post-apocalyptic" time after a nuke. The files you need all start with your ICQ number, with differing extensions.

Hopefully that will be of some help to you. :-)