PDA

View Full Version : adaware6 is out ! ! !

tweak\'e
05-02-2003, 02:40 PM
check it out here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=506&cat=31)

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2003, 02:44 PM
WoW!

Very sleek interface!

Very nice... Very nice... ;-)

1.45MB Download, but it'll keep out those nasties....

Well worth the download!
Thanks Tweak'e!

Jen C
05-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks tweak'e - Ad-aware 6 is very nice :-)

The scanning process takes much longer than the previous version and seems much more thorough (it poked it's nose into every nook and cranny file on my PC) even on the default settings. It is a pity the alert/finished .wav file still sounds like a flat raspberry! :p

A definite must-have upgrade for all those using Ad-aware!

Kiwitas
05-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Thank's tweak'e,

1st run found "DIALER" in registry and a couple in Temp Internet files

Not bad in 4-1/2 months since the old 5.83 version updated it's reference files!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Pato
05-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Many thanks for info tweak'e have downloaded programme.

Billy T
05-02-2003, 05:36 PM
JOOI, do we need to uninstall the old version before installing the new or does it install over the top?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jen C
05-02-2003, 06:24 PM
> JOOI, do we need to uninstall the old version before
> installing the new or does it install over the top?

I have always uninstalled the old version first.

What is "JOOI" ?:|

Billy T
05-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi Jen

JOOI = Just Out Of Interest

Thanks for the advice, I presumed it would be better to uninstall but ILIH and didn't want to waste time unnecessarily.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

ILIH = I Live In Hope

John H
06-02-2003, 11:33 AM
V6 picked up 7 things on my main box and one on my laptop, dialer among them, that were not picked up by v5.83

moamanz
06-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi,I was using adaware then switched to spybot.Sounds like adaware has caught up to it.Must give it a try when it arrives on the cd in the magazine.Thanks for the notice,I will be looking for it.

raddersnz
06-02-2003, 04:16 PM
> > JOOI, do we need to uninstall the old version before installing the
> > new or does it install over the top?

> I have always uninstalled the old version first.

And how do we uninstall the old one. I can't see an "uninstall adaware" in the start menu. I can't even see an entry in "Add/Remove programs" for Adaware.
I don't want to just delete the file, unless thats how you are supposed to do it ?:|
methinksnot. IHIL

radz:p

Susan B
06-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Hey radz :-)

I uninstalled mine a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it had an Uninstall option on the Start Menu. Have a look in the AdAware folder in Win Explorer to see if there's an uninstall.exe in there, and if not wait for more advice from the gurus here.

IHIL2 :p

Jen C
06-02-2003, 05:15 PM
> And how do we uninstall the old one. I can't see an
> "uninstall adaware" in the start menu. I can't even
> see an entry in "Add/Remove programs" for Adaware.

With the previous version I could not find an "uninstall Adaware" in the start menu (version 6 has one though), so I used Add/Remove in the control panel as it was listed in there. I then went around and manually removed the left-overs (eg desktop shortcut, and Adaware folder in Programs).

Jen

Billy T
06-02-2003, 08:04 PM
My Contol panl (W98) has an entry for removing Adaware 5.82 (Oops, I'm a bit OOD) but nothing off the Start menu except the program and manual icons. I'll uninstall from the Control panel.

Couldn't get into F1 to post this either. had to go back via the email notification of new posts ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Scouse
06-02-2003, 10:50 PM
I found that Unwise.exe removed virtually all of version 5 and its icons apart from the logs.
Version 6 found one Registry and 29 new files which version 5 missed only minutes earlier.
The extra time used a[ppears to be well worth it.

raddersnz
06-02-2003, 11:02 PM
> Hey radz :-)
> Have a look in the AdAware folder in Win Explorer to
> see if there's an uninstall.exe in there, and if not
I didn't think of that, but yes there is a file. It was called "Unwise". And it removed all but the .txt's and the restore points. Yes it got rid of the desktop icons for me.

> wait for more advice from the gurus here.
But you are a Guru.
Just don't break a nail on the battlefield :D
> IHIL2 :p

"Hooah"

Billy T
07-02-2003, 12:24 AM
Tell me Susan, what the heck is IHIL? Is it a variation on ILIH by any chance ?:|

I live in hope :|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Susan B
07-02-2003, 08:58 AM
> Just don't break a nail on the battlefield

:O I had better not -- it took me several hours to carefully paint them in camo colours using three different shades of green nail polish. :D

> Tell me Susan, what the heck is IHIL? Is it a variation on ILIH by any chance

Yep, Billy, it is a variation on ILIH: "I Hope I Live". Credit to radz for that -- he started it. He has convinced Jen and I that we will be far better assets to his team than Liam in AA (America's Army) with our "secret weapons". :p :D :p

While I'm here Billy, what is a " Contol panl"? Would it be any good as a secret weapon? :p :D

IHILGoes off for more target practice.

Billy T
07-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Uurrrgh :(

Bad proof reading is a sign of an overworked mind! I could try an con you by saying a control panl is part of the latest update for Win9x for Txt fanatics but the hoots of laughter would make my ears go red :8}

BTW, I'm slowly creeping towards the 1K club, and would you believe it, it won't be too long before WFTWE hits 50 :O. When I started I didn't even know that there were that many weird words out there.

Gotta go, gotta work.

No work = no eat

No eat = no poop

No poop = death

Moral of turdgid tale: WEP and be happy :)

Cheers

Billy :D :D

PS Nail polish sound nice, but not my colours ]:)

Billy T
07-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Hmmmmmm.........

Next time I'll keep my Adaware up to date.

V6 found 18 objects, Three dialers and 6 Hotbar in registry, plus 6 Hotbar files, 3 tracking Co and 1 ieaccess2 dialer.

Fortunately I saw Hotbar install itself so I killed it by deleting the main directory & exe file but the others were unknowns. I'm on Jetstream so I assume diallers are not a problem. Please tell me if that assumption is wrong ?:|

I'd been checking with spybot too! Obviously not often enough.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|