PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Status of PF1 login and registration problems

Biggles
05-02-2003, 09:36 AM
We believe (fingers crossed ) that we've solved our persistant login/registration problem that has caused so much frustration these past weeks.

The problem has been tracked to a bug in the version of OpenLDAP we were using. The upshot of this bug was that new registrations were causing the connection between PressF1, and OpenLDAP (the login/registraion server) to get lost when a new user submitted a registration. This problem only popped up recently because it is related to the number of registered users we have. When we reached a certain number - BOOM.

We have upgraded to a new version of OpenLDAP in which this bug appears to be fixed, so registrations are now open again.

Thank you all for your patience through these trying times . . . .

Jen C
05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
> ...... because it is related to the number of registered
> users we have. When we reached a certain number -
> BOOM.

How many PressF1 registered users are there?

Jen

Biggles
05-02-2003, 10:11 AM
3707 - there'll duplicates in there of course.

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Well, If Horses Hoof signed up a few days ago, how come the URL to his user stats says he's user=5768??

See Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=5768)

-=JM=-
05-02-2003, 10:51 AM
3707 for pressf1 ;)

Curly
05-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Uncross those fingers Bruce :-)

Just logged in and composed a lengthy new post on some problems. Went to spell check and to my horror was presented with the logon screen. Previous experience has shown that when this happens your post is lost and sure enough it had gone into thin air.

I have not checked the board yet to see if it snuck through - but I doubt it did as there was no confirmation of the post.

Geeze I hate it when this happens :-(

Robin S_
05-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Maybe they're using bloatware from a ruM $oftware house!

Biggles
05-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Nope - no MS involved.

Chilling - user IDs are not in absolute numerical order.

Biggles
05-02-2003, 12:01 PM
khclhksjhfghjkjh

Biggles
05-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Well, just spell-checked and posted without problems.

Clueless
05-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Curly...
Use either the force, or the back button.. which ever suits you..
You will find that your post will reappear from thin air.

.Clueless

robo
05-02-2003, 08:42 PM
It didn't start at 1.
I'm about 1078 or something.
It's weird.
robo.

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2003, 09:25 PM
619 it says...

Robin S_
05-02-2003, 11:03 PM
I have just tried twice to submit the following new post -

"I have made 4 previous attempts in the last 48hrs or so to send new posts. All were unceremoniously dumped when I hit the Post Message button - they just evaporated. None was spell-checked or previewed. Over the same period I have posted a number of replies and all but 1 were successfully lodged.

This is a test firing to notify the problem and see if I get through."

I didn't get through - that now makes 6 unsuccessful attempts. Is there a gremlin around or have I been blacklisted or filtered out?

Robin S_
05-02-2003, 11:03 PM
I have just tried twice to submit the following new post -

"I have made 4 previous attempts in the last 48hrs or so to send new posts. All were unceremoniously dumped when I hit the Post Message button - they just evaporated. None was spell-checked or previewed. Over the same period I have posted a number of replies and all but 1 were successfully lodged.

This is a test firing to notify the problem and see if I get through."

I didn't get through - that now makes 6 unsuccessful attempts. Is there a gremlin around or have I been blacklisted or filtered out?

Robin S_
05-02-2003, 11:08 PM
On my 1st attempt to send the above reply I got a "This page can't be found" screen so I assumed it didn't go through and resent. It worked OK the 2nd time but both copies appeared. Does this give any clue as to what is going ?

robo
06-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Okay, I was out a little, but I was about the third to register. There are bus-sized gaps in the numbering.

mark c
06-02-2003, 12:05 PM
I really like reading the background to these technical hitches and I guess everyone else does too because that's what we are here for eh?

And the laughs :D

Kiwitas
06-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi Bruce,

It appears that not all the probs have been cleared as at 6.12 pm
Feb 6,there are only two postings on page1 with no refresh,although p2
is full with last post at 2.00+pm (same date)

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 06:23 PM
> Hi Bruce,
>
> It appears that not all the probs have been cleared
> as at 6.12 pm
> Feb 6,there are only two postings on page1 with no
> refresh,although p2
> is full with last post at 2.00+pm (same date)
>
> Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Yep same here, and I get the folowing error sumary PressF1 Error Summary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PressF1 Version: 2.2.2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException at
com.jivesoftware.forum.ForumMessageProxy.getSubjec t(ForumMessageProxy.java:75)
at org.apache.jsp.forum$jsp._jspService(forum$jsp.jav a:1983)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:107)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWra pper.service(JspServlet.java:202)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:382)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:474)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(St andardContext.java:2343)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.in voke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHand ler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217)at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection. run(WarpConnection.java:194)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I also took a screenshot of the error which you can view here (http://nzliam.kicks-ass.net/f1error.jpg).

Horses Hoof
06-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Looks like it needs to be reformatted or something. Quite funny that a computer help forum is always going down

Jen C
06-02-2003, 06:30 PM
:O What have you done to the page Liam!! A couple of "returns" in your [ p re ] tags might of helped! :p

PS* I am getting the same NullPointerException stuff as well.

Jen

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 06:38 PM
> :O What have you done to the page Liam!! A couple of
> "returns" in your [ p re ] tags might of helped! :p
>
> PS* I am getting the same NullPointerException stuff
> as well.
>
> Jen

Just for Jen ;)

PressF1 Error Summary
Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.jivesoftware.forum.ForumMessageProxy.getSubjec t(ForumMessageProxy.java:75)
at org.apache.jsp.forum$jsp._jspService(forum$jsp.jav a:1983)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:107)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWra pper.service(JspServlet.java:202)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:382)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:474)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(St andardContext.java:2343)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.in voke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHand ler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection. run(WarpConnection.java:194)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Susan B
06-02-2003, 06:40 PM
> What have you done to the page Liam!! A couple of "returns" in your [ p re ] tags might of helped!

It's not just the page, the whole forum is stuffed up again. :-( :_|

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Looks like they have a bug with the [pre ] tags too, I formatted that last post perfectly in notepad, then copied and pasted it, but F1 seems to have eaten my formatting and inserted some bold text somehow. :(

stu140103
06-02-2003, 08:45 PM
I just got this error : at 8:45pmThusday 6th feb 2003
on the front page of this forum

PressF1 Error
An error occured processing your request. If this problem persists, please contact the webmaster or administrator of this site.
Error Summary

stu140103
06-02-2003, 08:48 PM
I also got this:

PressF1 Error Summary
Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException at com.jivesoftware.forum.ForumMessageProxy.getSubjec t(ForumMessageProxy.java:75) at org.apache.jsp.forum$jsp._jspService(forum$jsp.jav a:1983) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:107) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWra pper.service(JspServlet.java:202) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:382) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:474) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:190) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(St andardContext.java:2343) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:180) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.in voke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:170) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:174) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHand ler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217) at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection. run(WarpConnection.java:194) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

nz_liam
06-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Everyone is getting that error, it's not just you, ChatF1 (http://www.chatf1.net.nz) is full of sulking users!

Steve_L
08-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Still problems for me, but not as bad as a few days ago. Seems that I am recognised by my log in name, but not always - then I have to log-in. And that extraaaa wiiiiiiide page here - a beauty.