PDA

View Full Version : Something odd with pdf file attachments

write-click
04-02-2003, 10:45 PM
I was sent a couple of large pdf files yesterday that opened fine with Acrobat Reader but large sections are just gibberish (I know it came from a government department but this is different!). I set it up to print (the first five pages or so were fine) and got hundreds of pages with headings but just individual letters scattered over the rest of the page.

I asked them to send it again but it wasn't any better, and the scattered letters are showing in the onscreen version as well. They're sending me a hard copy by post, but has anyone encountered this before? I downloaded the latest version of Acrobat Reader but it made no difference. Very frustrating, so I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this or allow everything to print.

Miami Steve
05-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Are you sure you have the correct printer drivers loaded? I have seen Acrobat documents that missed random characters off the printout and it was solved by updating printer drivers. As I recall, however, the on screen view was OK, but it's worth checking.

Cheers
Miami

write-click
05-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks Miami, I'll certainly give that a try. The hard copies arrived this morning so at least I've got something to work on now. It's often the silly little things like this that cause the headaches!

Heather P
05-02-2003, 12:34 PM
It could easily be that they are not proof-reading their documents and something glitched.

Alternatively, when things are sent by emails they are sent in bits. A little like jigsaw puzzle. When it all arrives it is reassembled. It's possible one of the pieces went missing which has scrambled the entire thing.

Another possibility is a large file that exceeds mail box size.

Are the documents available on the web? Is so check it there.

You could ask them to open them on their own machine to check the first, then resend it as two separate emails (this would cut the file size).

Graham L
05-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Since PDF files are compressed, a corrupted copy (download) will give error messages.

I have had various problems with printing PDFs, so I normally print only a few pages at a time. That may be because of shortage of memory.

If you are seeing bad things on the screen, that would indicate a problem at the source end. The whole idea of PDFs is that the recipient gets the exact form the sender has.

write-click
05-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone, the updating of the printer drivers didn't work, and when they resent the pdf files they were the same - some pages had everything on them, others had headings and individual letters scattered all across the screen. Very strange! I usually find it easier to proof things onscreen, but at least this way I get to sit in comfort and put my feet up while I'm working! This has taught me one thing though - don't go away and leave a 147 page document to print unless you are sure it's all okay! I checked the first five pages and it looked fine, but I came back to a waste of ink and paper! It has never happened before, but most of the documents they send are saved in Word so I can edit them onscreen. In future I'll get them to try sending them one at a time and see if it makes a difference.