PDA

View Full Version : PF1 clock/time

Terry Porritt
04-02-2003, 03:58 PM
I am seeing messages posted with a time error of about 2 minutes or so, eg. one posted at 3.48pm when the actual time was 3.46pm. I know Im nit-picking but....
Having just synchronised my RTC with CSIRO atomic clock in Aussie, Im going to click 'Post Message' at exactly 3.54pm NZDST, +/- 50 milliseconds...here goes

Terry Porritt
04-02-2003, 04:07 PM
It took 4 minutes if PF1 is correct, now if the speed of light in ancient units is 186,000 miles per hour, then the distance between Upper Hutt and Auckland must be about 40 million miles :)

Graham L
04-02-2003, 04:09 PM
You trust an Australian clock?

-=JM=-
04-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Did the clock take into effect the time for the data to travel?

posting at 4.30 be some clock on my wrist

joey
04-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Should be right now

Horses Hoof
04-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Haven't you guys got anything more to worry about? Hey, theres a war coming. The Atomic clock might stop working hahahahaha

Elephant
04-02-2003, 11:35 PM
OK... Posting from Tokoroa... Should take less time than from Upper Hutt. Will hit the post button at 11:35 pm.

The Atomic clock will keep working from the Fallout from a war I would think. :-)

Don't forget that this post will have to trip over the network cable.

Elephant
04-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmmmm... Worked for me!!!

Will post at 11:39 PM

Gets VERY bored watching the clock..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc!!!

Elephant
04-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Well I have tried twice and both were accurate. Don't blame PressF1.

Must be the fallout, hot air and interference from the Beehive down your way.

Time now 11:44 pm

This going by the clock in the lower right of my screen.

Gorela
04-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Might as well join in the fun! Although it appears that Joey has spoiled the fun a bit. So posting from the Hutt 11:50 or should we say 2350 NZDT

Clueless
05-02-2003, 12:06 AM
If someone could tell me how i syncronise to a network time server (i thought i'd use IHUGS even though i'm on paradise-cable)i'd join the test crew.

SuSE8, crap computer, 24/7 connected and running.
I have found servers, i have no idea what to do with them.

(Wonders if paradise have network time servers available somewhere. If they do the dont seem to be telling.)

.Clueless

Gorela
05-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Gidday Clueless,

You should really go to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ and check out the details regarding access of the Time Servers. All of the servers in NZ are class 2 and according to the listing there is only one server here that you can access with out asking.

There is a couple of class 1 servers in Australia that permit free access, but most request that you e-mail BEFORE accessing.

Hope this helps ;)

-=JM=-
05-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Terry: Could you please tell me what software you're using for you time synch?

Elephant
05-02-2003, 12:40 AM
I don't know if Terrey will answer but under WinXP the time will sync by default with "time.windows.com"

My guess is that this will be a USA server and due to to ping times I'm likely to be 350 milliseconds late for work today. :-)

Gorela
05-02-2003, 01:02 AM
Clueless

Just checked the SuSE 8.0 RPMs and the Time Server is xntp 4.1.1. Checking the SuSE patch database there has been a patch issued in May.

There is also a nice little doc for it as well. :p

Terry Porritt
05-02-2003, 08:08 AM
JM, I use a program called Dimension 4 from here:
http://www.thinkman.com/

There is a list of standards labs that can be selected from to synchronise your computer clock.
It's claimed to be accurate to +/- 50 milliseconds allowing for the ping time.
That should be good enough for general use.

There are a number of other similar programs, some that are not free, but this works ok.

If you have shortwave radio, you can also tune in to WWH/WWVH the NIST station on 5, 10, 15 MHz or VNG the Aussie station on the same frequencies and 16MHz to get a time signal.
Incidently it is also possible to extract the carrier frequency from these stations which is reasonably accurate, as a calibration frequency for checking signal generators or frequency counters by beating with a stable sig. gen to less than 1 Hz.

Thomas
05-02-2003, 08:41 AM
I find this crowd's clock reasonably accurate.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

robo
05-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Um, Terry, isn't it 186,000 miles per SECOND? Or does it go slower in Lower Hutt?
robo.

Terry Porritt
05-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Right Robo, you spotted the deliberate mistake :) :8}What a bloomer, still the others are too young to know about miles and things imperial !!!!!!

-=JM=-
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Cheers for that Terry,

Thomas
05-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Can it be both a deliberate mistake and a bloomer?

tt01
06-12-2005, 05:09 AM
...get a dedicated ntp server, it solved my problems !

see: [edit: URL removed]

Laura
06-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Anyone who notices that this new poster has dragged up 7 ( yes seven) old threads regarding computer clocks will see that they're all simply spam - to publicise a commercial UK website.

Don't encourage him.

JJJJJ
06-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Why all the worry about clocks? I have four dedicated clocks plus two watches plus ones on the microwave , the radio. the computer. And they all say something different.
I got up this morning at 4.22 by my bedside clock. Got dressed etc., came downstairs and turned computer on. It said 4.19.
If I go out to my car now it's clock will say somewhere near 5.00. It's still on proper time! My comp now says 6.00.
And who cares? I don't have to catch a bus. And if I did it would probably be running late anyway.

Cicero
06-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Hows that for a dedicated cynic? ;)

Graham L
06-12-2005, 12:45 PM
GRAMS: Various timepieces ticking, chiming and cuckooing. A chicken clucking. Finally a hooter.
Bluebottle: What time is it Eccles?
Eccles: Err, just a minute. I've got it written down on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.
Bluebottle: Ooooh, then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?
Eccles: Welll, um, if a anybody asks me the time, I can show it to dem.
Bluebottle: Wait a minute Eccles, my good man.
Eccles: What is it fellow?
Bluebottle: It's writted on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted.
Eccles: I know that my good fellow. That's right, um, when I asked the fella to write it down, it was eight o'clock.
Bluebottle: Well then. Supposing when somebody asks you the time, it isn't eight o'clock?
Eccles: Well den, I don't show it to 'em.
Bluebottle: Ooohhh.
Eccles: [smacks lips] yeah.
Bluebottle: Well how do you know when it's eight o'clock?
Eccles: I've got it written down on a piece of paper.
Bluebottle: Ohh, I wish I could afford a piece of paper with the time written on.
Eccles: Oohhhh.

So there.

Laura
06-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Why is it I can still recall each of those sound effects clearly - when I've no idea what I had for lunch yesterday?

And I just spluttered some of today's - choking with laughter- making the mistake of reading this while eating...
(So not sure whether to say thanks for the memories or not, Graham.
OK... I guess I should.)

Terry Porritt
06-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Why is it I can still recall each of those sound effects clearly - when I've no idea what I had for lunch yesterday?

And I just spluttered some of today's - choking with laughter- making the mistake of reading this while eating...
(So not sure whether to say thanks for the memories or not, Graham.
OK... I guess I should.)

Ok, now that you have finished eating.....
http://bloodnok.net/wav/punchup.wav

Laura
06-12-2005, 01:15 PM
A cheerful afternoon coming on, Terry.