PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer problem

sandy beach
03-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Look, I've got a problem with my CD-Writer. I've always wanted one, and the thought of having one, would drastically make improvements to how I store data. Now this CD Writer is the only device that has been giving me the most problems out of any other in the past or most that only were just minor!

Its done more damage than good......... and all I want to do is just copy a file onto a blank CD and thats it!

What I want to know, is anyone who has a cd writer, have experienced any of the following error messages:

*Could not perform EndTrack
*Command sequence error
*Could not perform Fixation
*Burn process failed at XXXXx
*Invalid writestate
*No seek complete

Is this a hardware problem?

I have absolutely no idea, and have tried the internet search etcc...before coming here and asking for assistance. I hope someone can explain my situation. Funny thing is, that I haven't copied more than 10 Cds, until I started getting these messages and I've had it just only over a month now..

My specs.
Windows 2000\xp
512 Ram
40Gb Hard Drive
CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW
Nero 5.5.81

godfather
03-02-2003, 09:38 PM
have you tried burning at a lower speed?

These errors could be generated by poor quality/out of spec CDR's
Or if CD RW's they could be too slow for the drive.

I would try a different brand of CD or slow it down first.

craig_b
03-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Most likely what you need to do is update the ASPI layer of windows.

The ASPI layer is a control system for sending data to the cd-writer. Nero should have had one with it, but it may not be compatible with the writer.

Did Nero come bundled with the cd-writer, or did another program come with it? If it was another program, try using that instead - see if it works.

Have you recently installed any other cd players / music extracter / cd writing or extracting software, as these all use the ASPI layer with windows 2000 / xp, and may have had an incompatible version of the layer with them?

You may also want to download the latest patch for Nero.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the latest nero patch (version 5.5.107):

ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/nero55107.exe

This here is a link to update the aspi layer of your system. This is from the nero site.

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll

Usage: Copy this file in the Nero folder. This new version solves the problem in not finding any CD-Drive after installation of Virtual CD.

If, after updating nero, and the aspi layer, your problem is still around, try getting this tool for diagnosing issues with nero.

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/InfoTool.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this turns up nothing, try to get some drivers for your cd writer from the manufacturers website - I just tried to get a link, but the site seems to be down at the moment...

Hope that helps,
Craig.

dot_com
03-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Hiya,

Firstly - what kind of files are you trying to burn?

sandy beach
03-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Hi GodFather,

Well, I wasn't too sure if this would change anything, as I'm just using what Nero has automatically selects for me by default.

But hey, Ill give it a go.

My writing speed for my CD W/RW is W48X\RW32X\Read40X

I am trying out the Transonic brand (24x) from the Warehouse and its OK. And I supposedly, this might be the reason, why I have been experiencing these problems.

As, the only other brand I have purchased was TDK (Multispeed 40x) and had no problems.

The difference between the two, was the "Cost" and "Price." I got more Cds (20) in a Pack using the Transonic brand. While as for the same price, I got only (10) Cds using TDK.

In fair in all, I did manage to copy some cds successfully using the Transonic brand. Five of them were successfull, just that now, its all errors from here on....

Thanks for replying

sandy beach
03-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi Dot Com,

The files or I should say, file is only a backup file from Win2000. Its about 667Mb in size. I am using a Transonic Brand "700 Mb" CD.

Any more ideas?

Thanks for replying

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Basically you're burning too fast for the CD quality, mixed with the drives CD likes/dis-likes!

I would go for a lower speed first off... minimum that the drive will let you write at is probably 4x, so try that!

Your PC's specs are more than high enough for the burning!

The next thing would be to buy different CD brands.

The difference between buying a 40x CD-R and a 24x CD is about a minute when burning, so I would go buy the slower recommended burn-speed CD-R.

Melody have always been good for me, but the best is the Kodak gold+Silver Ultima ones (650meg/74mins) but I cant find them.. :'(

Let us know how you get on :-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

sandy beach
03-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Hiya Graig_b,

Thanks for your informative advice. I will try your options also.

As for Nero, yes it did come bundled with the CD Writer. I got it from Dick-Smith. And, I haven't installed any other cd players/music extractors etc..

I haven't yet updated my patch to the latest one, as I previously did use the latest one, but still the errors showed....

Netherless, Im quite certain, that the ASPI layer might indeed do the trick, and I will let you know of the outcome.

Thanks for replying

sandy beach
03-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi Chilling Silence,

Thanks for sharing your advice too. At least this will give me a better idea on what to look for in Cds. Personally, I thought, that because of the higher writing speed, (40x ) was recommended for my device. I wasn't too certain about getting cds with lower speeds.

Your've made me think twice about when deciding about purchasing CDRs.

I will let you all know of the outcome.

Thanks for replying Chilling Silence!

roofus
04-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Shouldn't the buring programme such as Nero dedect the speed rating of a CD-R and adjust accordingly?

argus
04-02-2003, 01:57 PM
For what it's worth, I have, at various times, had Messages 1, 4 and 5 from your set.

Does the error always occur at the same stage of progress? If so, it may be a corrupt file, or a dodgy spot on the disc (I suppose you've tried looking for defects and wiping the disc carefully).

I've handled it in the past in two ways: either leave the file out (impractical probably on a complete backup; but it may be worth trying for diagnosis). Or simply lower the writing speed.

Or, are you sure the capacity of the disc is what it claims to be? "Could not perform end track" - if it occurs, as I assume at the every end of the write - could signal that there is just too much data for the disc.

Again, I've remedied this one by simply leaving a file out and putting it on the beginning of another disc. Probably, again, impractical for backup purposes.

Argus

PS: I have a particular CD which wrote apparently well (I'm sure I read some files off it as a check almost immediately). Now, some weeks later, it reads fine on any PC except the one that wrote it!
Does anyone have an idea of a solution to this problem (other than copying the whole thing to a clean disc?)

Lohsing
04-02-2003, 02:34 PM
> Melody have always been good for me, but the best is
> the Kodak gold+Silver Ultima ones (650meg/74mins) but
> I cant find them.. :'(

Chilling - I only buy Kodaks or TDK's... TDK's from Warehouse, and Kodaks (Ultima 80min ones) from CTech PC (http://www.ctechpc.co.nz).

If you're not fussed about speed, I have bought a 100 piece spindle from Jaycar Electronics... they stock the 12X Kodaks.

Lo.

sandy beach
04-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Hiya everyone,

Thanks for your help. I have managed to fix the problem (without your help of course) for now. Am still slightly skeptical if its going to last for long..... But for now, whats more important is that, as long I can copy my files onto CD, then I'm happy as it is.!

* I updated the ASPI file from Adaptec to V4.71 - As there was a problem.

* Decided again this time round to update my version of Nero, 5.58.1 to 5.5.10

* I may have to understand abit more about the sizes of files that Nero comes up with. My Win2000 backup file, was 667MB (displayed in Windows), but in Nero, this same file had increased to (approx 703Mb) an extra couple of Mb's.

I don't completely understand this?And, I believe that this may of also been the culprit of all the error messages.

So far, already, I have wasted at least 4 good Cds, for the sake of experiencing these irritating messages now.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know how I got on, and I also hope that this little bit of useless information, may help someone else, who might be in the same position now or the latter. Although, everyone experiences things differently, so .......

Again, Thanks everybody for your help.

Sandybeach