PDA

View Full Version : Formatting a cd-rw disk

andy
03-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm having trouble formatting cd-rw discs. I've never used them b4 but thought I'd give it a go seeing as a few of you told me they were the bees knees a while back.
I have a P4 2.4, 512mb, Via P4pb, win XP system with an MSI 40/12/48 cd-rw using Nero and IN-CD. I have 2 cd-rw disks (MSI) that came with the writer. I tried several times last night to format either disk. The instruction box said that this should take between 10 and 30 minutes. The process seems to go so far then stop, although the hd light was still hard on. On the last attempt, I gave up and aborted after an Hour and 58 minutes. The process appeared to still be continuing but I had to go so I turned it off.
How long should this take? Does it really take 2 hours + and should I just keep going? If so, I'll stick to using a zip disk. Advice please.
Regards,
andy

Gordon.
03-02-2003, 07:01 PM
I had the same problem with Nero InCD using but using a slower CD Writer and slower Computer.

Would format so far and seemed to stall, take it out and start again and with each go at formatting it, it seemed to go further till after about 4 -5 tries it would be formatted and ready to use and it did work as it was supposed to but for all the hassles it was quicker to save directly to a zip or plain old CDRW.

Susan B
03-02-2003, 07:57 PM
My 24x10x40 Lite-On CD writer takes 20 minutes to format a 650MB 4x-10x CD-RW disc using InCD so that I can use it "like a floppy". This is on a Pentium II 266 machine.

You definitely have a problem - looking at your specs you should be able to format much quicker than I. Unfortunately I don't know what could be wrong, but perhaps Nero and InCD may need uninstalling and reinstalling? Or updating? I haven't updated mine at all from what came with the writer 15 months ago so yours would be more recent than mine.

You don't have any other burning software on your computer such as Adaptec do you? Burning programs don't like living together.

apute
04-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I have used cd-rw disks for saving files on my hard drive but mainly for saving music. I have never bothered to format the cd's and am curious as to why you would want to.
I would suggest that you just use them without formatting them.

Cheers

rayonline
04-02-2003, 01:42 PM
try a different cdrw and see if it helps.

Susan B
04-02-2003, 04:40 PM
> I have never bothered to format the cd's and am curious as to why you would want to.

They have to be formatted if one wishes to use them like a big floppy disk.

apute
04-02-2003, 07:50 PM
they don't need to be formatted.
The only reason floppies are formatted is if they are being used by different operating systems. Floppies and also CD's are useable straight away.

godfather
04-02-2003, 08:04 PM
If you want to use the "drag and drop" feature of InCd, you need to format them I believe. Personally I wouldn't bother with InCd, I would just drag and drop to a separate directory then burn that to CDR.

Naraku Kasai
04-02-2003, 08:13 PM
I find it easier to just throw the things away, I don't want to risk my CD-RW for the sake of a $1 CD.

andy
05-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. The cd-rw does need to be formatted to work in incd (and floppies only work because they are preformatted) but I've given up on this - if a re-writer can't format disks that are sold with it and bear the same manufacturers brand, using the software supplied with the rewriter, then I guess its a crock of shite. I think I'll replace it with a respected brand drive and see what happens. Its only three months old so I'm gonna take it back to the shop and see if I can find someone who speaks english and try to get it sorted. In the meantime, I'll continue to use my zip drive for backing up.
Cheers
andy