PDA

View Full Version : Opera Version 7

Elephant
03-02-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm just trying Opera Version 7 as my browser. So far I am very impressed.

In the past I have used IE 3 to 6, Netscape various versions and I even tried Mozilla briefly. I have always gone back to IE after my play in the past.

Somehow I don't think I will be doing that this time.
Very fast and compact!!!

Just thought you might like to know. :-)

stu140103
03-02-2003, 04:27 PM
> I'm just trying Opera Version 7 as my browser. So far
> I am very impressed.
>
> In the past I have used IE 3 to 6, Netscape various
> versions and I even tried Mozilla briefly. I have
> always gone back to IE after my play in the past.
>
> Somehow I don't think I will be doing that this
> time.
> Very fast and compact!!!
>
> Just thought you might like to know. :-)
>
Opera Version 7 they have now released the Final version
if you want to try Opera you can get it here: http://www.opera.com/download/

Neil McC
04-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Does Opera include an email setup in it? Just interested in a browser,as I don't want to muck around with setting up another place to store emails in,as I'm happy with OE6. Thanks.

tweak\'e
04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
opera has its own very basic email client. tho i still prefer to use eudora.

Elephant
04-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes....

Opera has an Email client.

I have not yet used it but I am going to try it. Currently I use Outlook 2002 and have tried Eudora, Incredimail, Outlook Express and Pegasus.

Neil McC
04-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Ok,thanks. But-- can I just use it for browsing the net,and carry on using OE6 for emails? ?:|

Elephant
04-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Yes you can.

You can use Opera as Browser and any Email client you want.

Horses Hoof
04-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for recommending it Elephant. It is really excellent and makes IE6 seem like a real dog. I cant believe how speedie it is. I am a noobie to PressF1 and this is the first thing I have downloaded on recommendation of this forum

So thank you Elephant. Do you know why IE6 and the other M$ browsers go the same speed as a Morris Oxford?

Elephant
04-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Possibly IE is a little bloated...

I don't really know. If have used IE for yonks as I stopped using Netscape around version 4 even though it wasn't bad. Tried others but always went back to IE.

This Verion of Opera (7) seems better than the other versions of Opera I have tried.

Rod ger
04-02-2003, 06:37 PM
If you look at the Opera download at 3.2MB (without Java) as opposed to the size of IE is it any wonder it runs faster!! Lean & Mean gets my vote every time. (besdes I have a limited HD space)

stu140103
05-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Security Flaws Found in New Opera Browser

have a read of this news :
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109192,00.asp
from Pcword.com

sal
05-02-2003, 02:52 PM
> Security Flaws Found in New Opera Browser
>
> have a read of this news :
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109192,00.as
>
> from Pcword.com

and its STILL safer than IE apparently, lol,

yeah, im really impressed with Opera, i downloaded it with the java support, why, im unsure of, lol, since i dont use many sites that require the java plugin, its a really good sized browser, and has a lot of flashy stuff, the thing i like the most are the mouse gestures, really cool for the lazy guys with an old mouse like me :),

grtz sal.
nz

tweak\'e
05-02-2003, 02:59 PM
sal- what ver of java is bundled with opera7 ?

Clueless
05-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Horses Hoof,
i reformatted a 486 not too long ago and tried to run IE on it. It kinda protested and failed miserably at most of the tests, so i put Opera6 on it, it slugged, but atleast it could run flash stuff, be it f-r-a-m-e- a-f-t-e-r f-r-a-m-e

There a few tricks that IE can run and opera ignores... this is why opera does the job quickly

.Clueless

Horses Hoof
05-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Thankyou Clueless

The more I use Opera, the better I like it. The only thing it seems to do is load pages bit by bit, whereas M$IE6 tends to load it in one shebang. I am on dial-up, and find the way Opera allows you to surf the web - while downloading heaps of Mp3s is quite impressive

Regarding those security holes, they will probably have a patch for that just as quick as M$ would post for IE. Its only new, so there are bound to be a few found

Horses Hoof
05-02-2003, 04:06 PM
> sal- what ver of java is bundled with opera7 ?

I had a look tweake, and it says something like Java 2 but I am not sure if thats the version or not

Miami Steve
05-02-2003, 04:38 PM
> sal- what ver of java is bundled with opera7 ?

It uses the Sun JRE (Java Runtime Environment) 1.4.

I haven't used Opera before, so thought now is as good a time as any to give it a go. It looks to me like it has a bit of a memory leak. I started it up this morning and checked the memory usage (around 14Mb). Throughout the day I have been checking, and it is now up over 100Mb. (OS is Win2k). Is this normal behaviour? ?:|

Cheers
Miami

Neil McC
05-02-2003, 04:46 PM
I've just allowed cookies,which has let me sign in!Been playing with Opera today.Seems to load Press F1 pages about the same as IE6,but it is faster on the web.I'm viewing this through both programs,seems strange! This is my first try of anything other than IE. Quite good fun. :-)
Lots of different options.

tweak\'e
05-02-2003, 05:42 PM
>It uses the Sun JRE (Java Runtime Environment) 1.4.

i'm looking for the actual ver number. if its 1.4 it will be something like 1.4.1_01.

E.ric
06-02-2003, 02:58 AM
You are right, I just loaded 7.01 & tring it in windoze, I wonder how long the Linux version come out.

Oh the spelling checker on the blink now?

Susan B
06-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Giving Opera a test drive for the first time.... man it's FAST!!! :O

Looks a bit different to IE and I need to tweak all the settings and find my way around it, but so far so good. It's strange how PF1 threads look different -- the Spell Check/Preview/etc buttons change to light yellow when moused over (IE doesn't do that) and there's a thick line under the subject heading of each post. I wonder how come Opera does that and IE doesn't?

I do feel brave... first I converted to Eudora earlier this week, now Opera. The things some people can talk me into.... :p
Goes off to study TweakUI settings.

Horses Hoof
06-02-2003, 04:29 PM
I miss not having the Google Toolbar with it though

Clueless
06-02-2003, 05:19 PM
HH,
Is there not the search feild to the right of the location bar like with Opera6?

.Clueless

Susan B
06-02-2003, 06:22 PM
> Is there not the search feild to the right of the location bar like with Opera6?

Yep, there sure is. Works well too.

What I'd like to know is how can I have a similar bar to IE's "Links" that I have on my IE toolbar? I really miss those quick shortcuts and don't want Opera's "Hotlist" taking up valuable real estate. Anyone got any ideas?

Neil McC
06-02-2003, 06:33 PM
How does the search field work,Susan? Have doubleclicked to select one of the drop down lines,but nothing happens.Just like F1 tonight.I'm only allowed to see two posts tonight!!This just happens to be the 2nd one.

Susan B
06-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Neil, all I did was click in the search box, typed out what I wanted to search for then hit Enter. Since Google is at the top of the list the Google page then pops up with all the sites found. Quite neat. :-)

Neil McC
06-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks.Sue had to use Opera tonight to get into foodinaminute,cause IE6 kept saying she needed a password to get on site.'Twas her first visit there.Went straight in with Opera!
:D
Boy this thing is different.Click on emoticons and my post message disappears till I backspace.

Neil McC
06-02-2003, 09:09 PM
And what happened to the supposed adds on this free version? Or is Norton's internet security stopping them! :-)

Clueless
06-02-2003, 10:05 PM
>What I'd like to know is how can I have a similar bar to IE's "Links" that I have on my IE toolbar? I really miss those quick shortcuts and don't want Opera's "Hotlist" taking up valuable real estate. Anyone got any ideas?

Susan, it is but one key to make the hotlist come and go
excuse the blasphamy pressf4

.Clueless

Clueless
06-02-2003, 10:07 PM
BTW ctrl+b gives you the list of tricks like the press f4 trick mentioned above

disclaimer... this is the way with opera6
correct me if i am wrong

.Clueless

Danger
06-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Susan>What I'd like to know is how can I have a similar bar to IE's "Links" that I have on my IE toolbar? I really miss those quick shortcuts and don't want Opera's "Hotlist" taking up valuable real estate. Anyone got any ideas?<

Susan, list your favorite sites in the "Personal Bar" heading under bookmarks, then go to "View" and turn on the personal bar, all your favorite links will be along the top of the tool bar.

Neil, the adds will appear after 2 weeks, unless you pay for them not too.

What I would like to know, as my other post has disapeared, is how to manage cookies so that only the ones I want will download, and all the others I block without being asked each time.

Tony S.
07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
In reply to Danger, your prevoius posting is still there. Go to privacy in the Preferences and you can edit all the filters there, or just tick throw away new cookies on exit. That will allow cookies for sign in them delete them on close down.

Susan B
07-02-2003, 08:17 AM
> it is but one key to make the hotlist come and go
> excuse the blasphamy pressf4
> BTW ctrl+b gives you the list of tricks like the press f4 trick mentioned above

Clueless, that's fantastic!! What really handy tips - thanks for that! :-)

> list your favorite sites in the "Personal Bar" heading under bookmarks, then go to "View" and turn on the personal bar, all your favorite links will be along the top of the tool bar.

Thanks Danger, I've just tried doing that but maybe I need to restart Opera because the links aren't showing on the Personal Bar yet. I did learn last night however that I could add and subtract my own links to that bar just like in IE's Links and that made my day. :-) All I need do now is figure out how to squash things up in order to claim some screen real estate back.

I'm with you on the Cookie issue though and hope that someone can enlighten us as to their management. We could tell Opera to delete the lot of them on exit, but that might mean we would have to sign in to PF1 each session and I don't want that. Just have to experiment I suppose. ;-)

Susan B
07-02-2003, 08:21 AM
> Click on emoticons and my post message disappears till I backspace.

Neil: hold down Shift when you click on the Emoticons link and it will open in a new page.

> Boy this thing is different.

Yes, it is. I do a lot of mouse dragging to highlight text to copy and paste and Opera doesn't select to the end of the last line in a paragraph easily like IE does. Is taking a bit of getting used to. It has lots of good features tho -- SPEED being one of them! ;-)

Neil McC
07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Tried that Susan!Now it works.Mustn't've been pushing hard enough on the shift key. ;\
Now I'll try to find my copy I was going to post when F1 disappeared this morning.
I've set up preferences the following way.File,preferences,privacy.Enable cookies,display received cookies.Don't accept 3rd party cookies.And throw away new cookies.Then when starting up in F1,the login screen comes up and I signed in.And a screen comes up asking me if I want Wand to save my password,yes.After I enabled display received cookies,a screen came up and asked if I wanted to save F1,which I accepted.So when I go to F1,I click login,then Wand and I'm in.So till someone explains how to go straight in like IE6,where I can save the cookie but no others,this is it!