PDA

View Full Version : KVMS - can you get them

-=JM=-
03-02-2003, 01:56 PM
There's plenty of KVMs (Keyboard Video Mouse switch) about. But there don't seem to be any KVMS.

Seems strange for them not to include sound into them.

godfather
03-02-2003, 02:27 PM
> Seems strange for them not to include sound into
> them.

They don't include Serial Ports, Parallel Ports, USB, Gameport, etc either, but thats not the prime use of the devices.

-=JM=-
03-02-2003, 03:02 PM
hmmm thats a good point godfather :)

What type of KVM would you recommend, I have no idea on which ones are good and which ones aren't

Wanting probably for 2 comps (maybe 3). Also I've noticed that USB ones seem to cost quite a lot more. Is there any advantage in them.

Gorela
03-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Belken actually produce a KVMS. They definitely have it a 2 port version, but I don't know about a 4 port. Some time ago I bought a standard 4 port KVM, but ended up returning it as it wasn't very happy with linux.

I tried SuSE 6.4, 7.0, 8.0 and also Redhat 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 all to no avail. About the only thing I did accomplish was a substantial loss of hair ;)

That said though, it did work rather well in Windows 9x.

The problem in linux was that you lost control of your mouse ie it would race around the screen randomly opening windows with no input from me. I guess that will teach me for running linux with a graphical interface!

-=JM=-
03-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Well I think I've found what I want... .shoulda looked closer at the descriptions.

This is what I want (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=107421)

... ouch on the price though.... and if they don't work well with linux, that was the main point in getting one.

Gorela
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
As I mentioned though it was the standard KVM switch I used. Maybe that one does work okay with linux.

Anyway, I was sure you're the old school command line guy. So you wouldn't need a mouse or GUI!

-=JM=-
03-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Well yes I will be using the command line... if one wants to get proficient with the OS one will need to. I'm planning on having a second rig that I can do what ever I want with.... so it maybe running linux, or windows, or both or anything.

Gorela
03-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Just had an idea!

The other way would be to just buy a standard 4 port from DSE for $198 (without cables) and use a seperate connector switchbox for the sound.

I've been using the DSE automatic KVM's for quite a while now with no problems. It only gets tricky when you have more than four PC's connected. Then you need to get their manual two port switch and connect that to the auto 4 way switch.

Works a treat :)