PDA

View Full Version : dos TCP/IP

heni72847
02-02-2003, 12:47 PM
is there a way to have file sharing under dos through TCP/IP
or a server of some kind for dos

i need to be able to write onto the hard disk that is running dos from windows ME or 2K
not just accessing file from the dos machine

DOS-based Microsoft Network Server won't work becaue it only works with win95 and 98 and older versions of NT

tweak\'e
02-02-2003, 12:52 PM
mayby i've missed the bus here but why would you want a dos server app if you are running ME/2K anyway? why not just a normal windows one?

Merlin
02-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Yes, what you require is possible.

The instructions for setting the DOS machine are here (http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/Dosservr.htm)

Decide what you want to share - the entire drive or a directory

Use Net Share to set write access - your description indicates you want FULL access to the DOS drive - or at least a specific directory. Set the password too.

I haven't done this on a workgroup - only a domain where I created a profile to suit.

Also, the shared resource will not appear as a networked resource in 2000. To access it map to the drive.

stu140103
02-02-2003, 02:41 PM
> Use Net Share to set write access - your description
> indicates you want FULL access to the DOS drive - or
> at least a specific directory. Set the password
> too

if your network is running all win and it is at home.
you don't really need to set a network password. I have a network at home. my computer is fully shared with no password.

tweak\'e
02-02-2003, 02:52 PM
> if your network is running all win and it is at
> home.
> you don't really need to set a network password. I
> have a network at home. my computer is fully shared
> with no password.

with win9x/me its all to easy to hack into a pc due to the networking having full shares with no password.

heni72847
02-02-2003, 10:33 PM
just got a old comp with hd
just want to be able to store some back up file and stuff