PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Icons misbehaving

Curly
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
For whatever reason, all my desktop icons are scrunched up on the left side of the screen. Must be something I did, but not intentionally.

I have right clicked on the desktop and worked my way through all of the options, but no they seem to prefer the left side of the screen and with the speed of a flash of lightning they scream back from whence they came. (You can almost hear the screech of their tiny brakes and the whine of downshifting through the gearbox, as they approach that favoured left side margin), :-)

Guess it's gona be simple - but it has me stumped. Oh yeah, op sys is Win98.

How do I makem stay where I want, or putem?

tweak\'e
01-02-2003, 04:27 PM
sounds like you have "auto arrange icons" on.

Curly
01-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes U are right Tweak'e but nothing I do will remove the tick beside the auto arrange item. So consequently I am back to square one.

How can I get out of this seemingly endless loop ?

Chilling_Silence
01-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Try it in safe mode and see what happens...

Terry Porritt
02-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Sometimes when there is a corrupted icon problem, it can be helpful to delete the file, shelliconcache, in c:\windows, reboot, and windows will rebuild the icon file.
This just may cure the problem. There is also an icon repair option in TweakUi that could be worth trying.

Cheers

Curly
03-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Trying it in safe mode made no difference, the tick beside 'auto arrange' remains. Any other thoughts?

Curly
03-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Tried deleting shelliconcache, restarted but no change.

Terry where would I find 'tweakui' ? Will try that, but if it does not work, is it possible to reload Win98 again without removing the existing copy, perhaps that would fix the problem. Dunno - just a thought.

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2003, 10:30 AM
try searching pcworld.co.nz for Tweak UI

Yes, you can install over the top, that may work, but give Tweak UI and clearing the Icon Cache first :-)

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Ahh... I thought it was a MS program:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

Download from there :-)

CYaBro
03-02-2003, 11:22 AM
I might be spinning a bit here but could it be the Magistr virus??

That made the icons on the desktop do weird things.

Curly
04-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi CYaBro, nah, the computer concerned has never been and probably never will be connected to the net, therefore no virus activity possible :-)

Input is text only generated by a voice recognition program.