PDA

View Full Version : Computer dead - no beeps

Heather P
30-01-2003, 11:25 PM
I was asked to check a computer "with a dead hard drive".

Turning it on starts the power supply and one or two lights, a short whir (from the vicinity of the hard drive), a muted series of clicks (2 second intervals) but it goes no further.

No beeps, no monitor.

Does this mean dead ram or is something else checked first?

Stumped Badly
31-01-2003, 12:30 AM
First thing to try is another video card, if still no go try some new ram.
Are there any beeps at boot up?
Has the computer been moved recently, causing the video card to become dislodged?
Has anybody had the lid off?
Make, model, specs?

Stumped Badly
31-01-2003, 12:33 AM
Sorry, should have read it properly "no beeps"
Also check all cables are pushed hard home. i.e power, monitor etc.

B.M.
31-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I stand to be corrected here but I would suspect the ROM BIOS chip. Loose Video Cards, faulty RAM etc are usually indicated by a sequence of beeps. No beeps and no video would indicate to me a problem right at the very beginning of start-up.

Iíve still got a machine here that pulls exactly the same trick now and again, but heating the ROM BIOS chip with wifeís hairdryer brings it right. A pain in the butt, but I havenít been able to source a replacement chip.

antmannz
31-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Also had the same prob as you Heather P.
Turned out to be the CPU had fried (possibly from a power spike methinks, as several other components also died).
Try each of the removable components (hd, vid card, etc) in another compatible PC if you have one to eliminate them.

Heather P
31-01-2003, 02:01 PM
I took the lid off last night and couldn't see or feel anything loose so then came here.

Well I went to Google and typed: start up beeps
It led to a very interesting site: www.hardwarecentral.com
A quick look indicates that it's a good place to visit.

AMI BIOS Beeps:
"none You're supposed to hear at least one beep. If you truly don't hear anything, either your computer's power supply, motherboard, or PC speaker is no good. "

Phoenix Beeps:
Doesn't mention none but again starts with the motherboard.

Somehow I think it's dead and in need of new bits - possibly a motherboard. Time to give it back to my daughter's boyfriend to give back to his friend and tell him to go spend some money.

B.M.
01-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Heather, again I stand to be corrected, but I believe you should get Beeps of some sort (depending on the BIOS) even if you have the CPU, RAM, and Video Card sitting on your desk.

If you can locate the BIOS chip (and it is a plug in one) make sure it is sitting fully in its socket.

As I mentioned earlier donít be scared to give the chip, and then the Mother Board, a bit of a serve from your hairdryer. (Youíve nothing to loose) If by chance you get some action, check the time and date. If it is the BIOS you will probably get some idea of when things turned to custard.

Heather P
01-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks BM but problem solved. I offered to look at it in a weak moment. If it had been something simple (and free) like a loose cable or badly configured software (the original comment was "dead hard drive" which can mean anything) then I could have fixed it.

If it were a faulty video card or similar I could have diagnosed it and told them what to buy.

No beeps and nothing loading requires better diagnosis and more time than I want to spend on it so I've given it back with the suggestion of approaching someone who is paid to do this and has parts on hand.

Now to spend this rather hot Saturday afternoon doing something I'll actually get paid for.

Chilling_Silence
01-02-2003, 12:59 PM
B.M. said:
> Iíve still got a machine here that pulls exactly the
> same trick now and again, but heating the ROM BIOS
> chip with wifeís hairdryer brings it right. A pain
> in the butt, but I havenít been able to source a
> replacement chip.
Have you tried flashing the Bios to update it?

Heather P said:
> Now to spend this rather hot Saturday afternoon doing something I'll
> actually get paid for.

What's this???

Heather P
01-02-2003, 01:27 PM
>What's this???

Work.