PDA

View Full Version : Where does MS Word 2002 keep its user settings?

Sergio
28-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Each time I ghost back the C: drive I lose Words settings. Ie, custom dictionary, autocomplete, page margins etc. Where does Word keep these settings so I can back them up?

Thanks

Sergio

Susan B
28-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Word's settings, eg styles, margins, etc are in the normal.dot file. Not too sure about the custom dictionary and autocomplete though, will have to look that one up. Find normal.dot with a search on your hard drive.

Robin S_
28-01-2003, 10:17 PM
I have had no experience with Word 2000 but older version(s) of word kept some of their settings and things scattered around the "globe". For instance, text conversion files (probably don't contain actual settings) were in Windows\msapps\textconv and, in particular, the custom dictionary was in Windows\msapps\proof\custom.dic. There were other dictionary files in that folder and possibly other files containing settings. I would guess that the custom.dic file still exists in Word 2000 but possibly in a different location - try a search for it.

Gordon.
29-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Some of the stuff you want is under Word > Tools > Options > there is a bunch of various tabs in there so you can set your default Save location, Spelling and Grammar, User Information, Password Settings, etc

For Page Margins I have copy/pasted from the help file see below

If you don't want to use the default margins, you can change the default settings. On the File menu, click Page Setup, click the Margins tab, and then enter the settings you want. After you set the new margins, click Default to have Word save the new default settings in the template on which the document is based. Each new document that you base on that template will then automatically use the new margin settings

For AutoCorrect and to change these settings go to Tools > AutoCorrect and click on that and that will open up your options.

I don't know if you can actually back these up as such but if you know where the settings are I suppose next best option is to record them or take some screen shots for saving.

falvrez
29-01-2003, 03:31 PM
For saving your autocorrcts you need to run the sample template I think it's called sample9.dot in the samples (?) folder. Start it up and yo'll find the "backup/restore autocorrects" feature.