PDA

View Full Version : Networking and Firewalls

caffy
28-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I've got my computer networked to my parents computer (both use WinXP Pro), and my computer connects to the ISP thru the gateway with no problems. The other morning I could access the internet, sign into MSN Messenger, open Outlook Express and receive emails etc etc...then that afternoon, I could not access to anything, even though I WAS connected to the ISP.

MSN Messenger said something about my computer being behind a firewall that was restricting my access, so I disabled the firewall option on the gateway computer through Control Panel > Network Connections > right-click on ISP > properties > Advanced Tab > Internet Connection Firewall. But this didnt solve the problem.

Internet Explorer searches for the page, and then says Page cannot be found. Outlook Express says mail.(isp).co.nz could not be found, when trying to connect...

Does anyone know what I can do now?

Thanks,
caffy

Danger
28-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Tried System Restore?

caffy
28-01-2003, 03:25 PM
How do you do that?

caffy
28-01-2003, 03:38 PM
I dont want to restore my computer to the way it was...means i would have to set everything up again, install programs etc...

Don't think this would solve the problem...

Susan B
28-01-2003, 04:01 PM
System Restore will only reset your computer back to the last restore point which shouldn't be more than a week old (but don't quote me on that). It isn't reinstalling Windows.

To do a system restore go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Choose the System Restore option and follow the wizard, selecting the last good restore point prior to when your problems started.

It's not guaranteed to solve your problem, but it might be worth trying. You might have to do it to both Win XP computers as well. Remember too, that any programs you installed since the last restore point will not work until you reinstall them but your data should be OK.

If that doesn't work, post back for more help.

caffy
28-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Okay, this is weird - but I was playing games on my computer, and out of curiosity tried to check for e-mails on Outlook Express, to see if that problem was still persisting, and to my surprise, it connected!

Internet is working again as well, and so is MSN Messenger...wonder how this happened? I didn't do a system restore or anything like that.

Must be one of those technical things!

Thanks for your help anyway...