PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Networking Question?

Poppa John
27-01-2003, 05:44 PM
(Yes is not the appropriate answer) Some times Maryann & PJ want to use the computer at the same time. We have a spare monitor & keyboard & thought we may be able, simply, to hook up to the main computer. I am running XP Home, 1440hz processor, 512 ram, 1 x 60g drive & 1 x 16g drive. I am sure it can be done, but how? Also what are the Pros & Cons? Thanks Poppa John
PS If anyone knows of Graham Petrie, I lost his phone number, tell him ,Sorry.PJ

robsonde
27-01-2003, 06:06 PM
I have seen this sort of thing done but i have no idea how.

the system was running win 2000 and setup in a cyber-cafe.

BTW no this is not a networking question , but a network could be part of the solution in the end. the system i saw was not networked in any way (only one CPU)

godfather
27-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi Poppa and Maryann

What you need is referred to as a "ServSwitch" and can allow multiple monitors and Keyboard access to 1 CPU box.

About US$500 for a two way unit. Thats about $900 + in $NZ

You cannot do it with software alone, there is nowhere to plug in all the extra bits. Ther servswitch takes care of that, and the software with it looks after things on the PC. You can get them with 4 and 16 inputs as well. Just add $$$

Gone off the idea?

-=JM=-
27-01-2003, 06:54 PM
for that amount you can get a cheap Duron rig.

Clueless
28-01-2003, 09:50 AM
I cant help thinking that "finding" a cheap minamal computer that can be unit 2 would be a better solution.

To many people, a system with the specs that would do the job would be considered obsolete, and seeing unit 2 (from what i can gather) need be little more than an second internet/email terminal, it shouldn't be that hard to find something for as close to nothing as makes no odds.

There seems to always be people here finding that "old faithful" just aint worth anything anymore..... maybe someone....... :D

Anyway.. Hello to you both. Good to see you posting here again!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
28-01-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree.. A second PC with and network them would be a good idea...

You can run two monitors easily enough, just 2x PCI cards.

Virtual Desktops is different from what you want I guess.

Im sure Ive seen it done though :-)

Cheers

Chillling_Silence

Poppa John
29-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Ok back again. I assume that means 2 x PCI cards & a connect cable of some sort & some software? Does one PCI card "fit all"? Think Windows XP & 98. If the XP m/c is the Main & the 98 m/c the slave, I take it The XP has to be "On" to allow the 98 access to the internet, & when both are on line will be slower? Poppa John

Poppa John
29-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Now that I have read that thro again I think that means networking. PJ

godfather
29-01-2003, 08:40 PM
> Ok back again. I assume that means 2 x PCI cards & a
> connect cable of some sort & some software?

Yes, for the cable. An ethernet "Crossover Cable" from Dick Smiths
Windows already contains the necessary software.

>Does one PCI card "fit all"?
Should do. Check that your XP machine doesnt already have a network card built into the motherboard. Its a socket like the one your modem phone line lead plugs into but a wee bit wider. Its NOT a socket on your your modem, thats the socket for a phone (if a second socket exists on the modem)

They are about $25 each for a PCI network card.

Check the 98 machine to make sure its got a spare white PCI socket on the motherboard.

>Think Windows XP & 98. If the XP
> m/c is the Main & the 98 m/c the slave, I take it The
> XP has to be "On" to allow the 98 access to the
> internet, & when both are on line will be slower?

Yes, if the modem is on the XP machine, it must be on before the 98 machine can connect.

The speed of the data down the phone line has to be shared between both PC's, so generally it will be slower, especially if you are downloading a file or a similar activity on one.

SusanB is the expert on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on XP. There was a near record length thread a couple of weeks ago getting it going.

Good luck!

Poppa John
29-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Goddie, Plus.

Had a look behind the Tower Tin Box,& see the following on what I assume is the Motherboard. 1xpurple plug to keyboard, 1xgreen to mouse. 2xUSB to scanner & printer, 2x9pin Turquoise sockets (empty), 1x15 pin Buff socket (empty). 3xAudio sockets.
Next level down is the Monitor outlet. Next down again are 2 phone jacks
Right at the bottom is a 25 pin Black socket (empty).
No empty white one, this is on the XP m/c.No idea what is on the 98 m/c.
Will also look for Susan B's topic. Thanks PJ

godfather
29-01-2003, 09:21 PM
PJ, the White PCI socket is on the motherboard, under the cover on the PC. Its not on the back. When it plugs into the m/b, the socket for the network cable is then available on the back of the PC. One of those metal "stips" comes off where it plugs in, just like a modem plugs into the motherboard inside the PC.

Don't go quoting colours to me, remeber I am colourblind!

Its open heart surgery we are talking about. No trouble to you!

Poppa John
29-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Goddie all is clear. However that is forbidden territory to me, those dark depths in there!!. Have to rethink this one. Graham Petrie where are you???
Re the Heart, you have a good memory!!!! Poppa John.

Susan B
30-01-2003, 06:00 PM
> However that is forbidden territory to me, those dark depths in there!!. Have to rethink this one.

Oh Poppa John, don't be such a coward!! If I can do it, so can you! :p :D

> SusanB is the expert on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on XP.

Yep, I know everything now! :p :D

> Will also look for Susan B's topic.

I don't advise it... :p

> when both are on line will be slower?

It's not that bad, unless one (or both!) computers are downloading files continuously. For general surfing on both PCs it's not noticeable.

> Graham Petrie where are you???

Do you not have his email address? No promises, but I will see what I can do...

Nice to see you back Poppa... hopefully we'll see more of you and Maryanne soon. :-)