PDA

View Full Version : simple annoying problem

dogboy
23-01-2003, 08:59 PM
dear people, have older pentium which while on the internet it continually freezes. Have tried to hit the start button, refresh button any button but nothing happens. the whole system has frozen. the only way out is to reboot the whole system. this only happens while on the internet, not while using mail or spread sheets. hope you can find a simple answer to this annoying problem. best wishes, sim

Jen C
23-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi and Welcome firstime poster to PressF1

First of all, can we have more details about your operating system eg Win98, and the browser you are using eg Internet Explorer 5.5 etc.

Cheers

Jen :-)

antmannz
23-01-2003, 09:59 PM
My best guess would be that the modem and mouse are trying to share a com port. Check out what com port the modem is using by going Start > Settings > Control Panel > Modems and post it back here along with the other info Jen C has asked for. :)

Elephant
23-01-2003, 10:08 PM
So do you get your mail via the internet?

tweak\'e
23-01-2003, 11:11 PM
a general cleanup may help. check for spyware (use adaware), delete index.dats(see faq) check BHO's (bho deamon or check plugins depending on browser), check temp internet cache size and history size. clean out temp files. scandisk then defrag.

otherwise please most more details on your system and problem.

kiwibeat
24-01-2003, 12:32 AM
you could try reinstalling your graphics drivers , MY PC was rebooting constantly due to a corrupted .dll file all fixed now running XP

roofus
24-01-2003, 08:00 AM
people!!!! Give this new member a rest. It's there first post, and your scaring her by telling her she needs to reinstall her videocard!!!!

Lets wait for some more info on her system at this stage eh!
Tweake's comments are the best to follow at this stage.

The modem will not be conflicting with the mouse, as that would result in the mouse freezing and not the whole system, they have already stated that they can check emails fine and its only the browser, so it's most likely NOT the modem.

Please no one suggest anything more till we hear back from our new member

roofus
24-01-2003, 08:04 AM
> people!!!! Give this new member a rest. It's there
> first post, and your scaring her by telling her she
> needs to reinstall her videocard!!!!

I don't know why i said "her" and "she"
especially when the alias is dogboy