PDA

View Full Version : Email from FORM: How to bcc and .eml?

GrahamB
23-01-2003, 03:31 PM
I have a website with a suitably working Response Form, using the following code:
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="MAILTO:graham@ariel.co.nz">

There are two problems I would like to resolve:

Firstly how do I arrange a Blind copy to another email address?

Secondly, this produces emails in.att format, which I have to open in Notepad. Is there anyway I can change it to .eml format, so i can open it in Outlook Express?

Greg S
23-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Those are good questions. I think we'd need to see how your server has configured their script to see why it comes in .att.

To get around the first question, I use a forwarder on my server to copy to any other address - this causes neither recipient to know who else has received a copy. I guess it could be done within the form-to-mail page itself, but unsure of exactly how, sorry.

My script goes:
<form action ="http://mysite.co.nz/cgi-sys/FormMail.cgi" method="POST">
<input TYPE=hidden name="recipient" VALUE="myname@mydomain.co.nz">
and it can call on a CGI either server-side or in my cgi-bin folder.

Who hosts your site?

sal
23-01-2003, 07:26 PM
im not entirely sure how the action="mailto:someone@some.com" works, because ive never used it, but i do know that its not the best way to get contact from visitors via form email. if you dont have access to perl/cgi, then there are free alternatives such as MailAForm.com and Cerebus Tools - form mailer (again, im unfamiliar with these, as i dont use them),

grtz sal.
tga

*heres another (http://www.widexl.com/remote/automail/index.html)

GrahamB
23-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for that response. I know there are more sophisticated ways of handling web pages, but I like to keep it really basic - within certain limits.

I found this afternoon that if I put another email address after the first, with a semi-colon preceeding it, I get my two replies. So that much is done.

Also, I use the same send method for a full Ordering System, and here, apart from wanting that extra copy it is very much a case of IF it ain't broke don't fix it!

But I would still like to receive more-or-less standard email!

TFYH
Graham