PDA

View Full Version : OT: Swearing

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Ok... having been so kindly advised by Crozier that the "b" word (see here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30370))is not appropriate, is there a guide outling what language is appropriate or not when posting to PF1?

I always prided myself on not swearing here, and would've thought the "b" word was ok? Seems to me like a storm in a teacup if you ask me. Similar to the whole "bugger" advertisement a while back.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Lo. - Dont okay!

Just dont start...

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Awwww shucks... not even a little troll?? Man, you're no fun! :p

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2003, 03:17 PM
> Awwww shucks... not even a little troll??

My sister used to have one of those... You'd rub its belly while saying your wish and it would come true while you were sleeping!!!!

I even tried it once, but I was a little disappointed :(

roofus
22-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Yea and Bumbuddie seems to reckon crappy is a swear word!!!
I would consider using the lords name in vaine more of an offence than saying crappy.

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2003, 03:29 PM
> I would consider using the lords name in vaine more
> of an offence than saying crappy.

Yup! I agree :-)

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Lol... oh dear... We are really cutting a fine line now...

Lo.

honeylaser
22-01-2003, 03:31 PM
There is filtering software running on the forum (see here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=23683&message=74911)). All the real bad stuff doesn't make it through. I guess the mods have the powers to add words if they became a problem, and they haven't as yet.

I personally don't see what it so offensive about the B word. Or the other B word. Or the B word from *that ad*. But thats just me, and I'm more than happy not to use them.

I've had One Telling Off (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29221), and thats quite enough for me.

Baldy
22-01-2003, 03:55 PM
> There is filtering software running on the forum (see
> here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=23683&message=74911)). All the real
> bad stuff doesn't make it through. I guess the mods
> have the powers to add words if they became a
> problem, and they haven't as yet.
>
> I personally don't see what it so offensive about the
> B word. Or the other B word. Or the B word from *that
> ad*. But thats just me, and I'm more than happy not
> to use them.
>
> I've had
> One Telling Off (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=29221), and thats quite
> enough for me.

Yes I well remember LOL

I didn't think there was such a thing as swearing anymore. What one person thinks is acceptable, another will see red over.

When I was a teenager (I'm 50 now) you could be arrested and brought before a judge and fined for using the F-word. A friend of mine was arrested one Friday night for telling a policeman that he was a pig.

Times have changed. For the worse too

BALDY:-)

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Baby boomers vs Gen X'ers?

Btw, what comes after Gen X??

Lo.

Clueless
22-01-2003, 06:08 PM
The thread you linked to was an appalling example of human behavior. I am part human myself and am currently feeling some shame that i might be tarred with the brush of poor behavior.
Please, just to ensure that no other threads develop along the lines of this or any other offshoots, keep it in the original thread, and may those who wish to fight keep it going within the walls of that thread.

.Clueless

Baldy
22-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Who's fighting Chris?

Susan B
22-01-2003, 07:14 PM
> Ok... having been so kindly advised by Crozier that the "b" word is not appropriate, is there a guide outling what language is appropriate or not when posting to PF1?

No, unfortunately there is no guide. Sometimes I wish there was but where do you draw the line? As someone said, what is totally acceptable to one is highly offensive to another.

Personally, when I post here I use the kind of language that I would normally use in public or front of my mother, which is quite different to the language that I use in my home or talking in private to friends. That doesn't mean my language is normally foul - far from it, I won't tolerate continual foul language in my presence - but it is a bit more relaxed than what I would use here.

I consider a good guideline to appropriate language to be how you would speak in front of a respected person, whether that person be a Church Minister, a principal or maybe even an admired member of the opposite sex whom you were trying to impress. Most people would hardly be saying "****", "prick", "bastard", etc as in the thread that Honeylaser posted and I don't think it is appropriate here either, whether written in full or asterisked as in f***.
Goes to wash mouth out with soap

roofus
22-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Susan!!!!!! I think you need to where the butterfly suit tonight!!! :-)

-=JM=-
22-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Swearing has lost it's point now. It used to be "cool" and you felt rather naughty. Now the F word is used so often that it's losing it's usefulness. We need new words now.

roofus
22-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Yea, like "Cool" :-)

Mike
22-01-2003, 07:56 PM
> Swearing has lost it's point now. It used to be
> "cool" and you felt rather naughty. Now the F
> word is used so often that it's losing it's
> usefulness. We need new words now.

whatever :) Just don't swear. It's easy... and I find conversation a lot easier to follow, and a lot friendlier when there's no foul language involved. It's not needed, there are plenty of other words to use instead, so why don't we? It's quite easy. I've never sworn, and I never will... and it does annoy me when others do - it's an unnecessary waste of bandwidth :)

Mike.

Susan B
22-01-2003, 09:35 PM
> Susan!!!!!! I think you need to where the butterfly suit tonight!!! :-)

Yes.... sorry roofus! :8}
Engages butterfly suit and floats off out the door

agent
22-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Just to answer your question Lohsing...

After the "Generation X"'s comes the ".,"'s. Yes, pronounced "the dot-commas". Very original, isn't it? ;)

And I'm being serious here too. It is the "dot-commas". I think I'm one of them. Who knows?

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Man, I think you are right!! What year do you have to be born in to be considered part of the "dot-comma's.... dot-com'ers??"

agent
22-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Can't remember, my mum told me this like halfway through last year.

A search on Google for various things like "generation dot", "generation comma", "generation dot comma", and "what comes after generation x" returned nothing whatsoever telling when it "started".

I'd assume somewhere in the late 90s though.

crozier
22-01-2003, 10:36 PM
I don't like bad language in public. In fact I get annoyed when itappears on TV earlier than about 8.30pm. And I don't think that I'm in the minority either. Not only is it a personal affront, but it displays a distinct lack of vocabulary. Perhaps it is a sign of the times, but we can all choose if we want to be where it is commonly used - playground, hotel, schoolyard etc. But why should I be attacked for complaining about it? you'd think that I was the one displaying offensive behaviour!

I was under the impression that this was a family oriented forum, somewhere where I could voice my opinions without insults or personal attack. Where my daughter could share the experience and learn with me. Instead it's been hijacked by a growing minority of foulmouthed, semi-literate oafs!

It's not just the swearing or the personal attacks, it's also the general schoolyard behaviour.... especially since school finished shortly before Christmas.

Well I, for one, am fed up with it. As the lunatics have taken over the asylum they can keep it!

Lohsing
22-01-2003, 10:42 PM
> I don't like bad language in public. In fact I get
> annoyed when itappears on TV earlier than about
> 8.30pm. And I don't think that I'm in the minority
> either. Not only is it a personal affront, but it
> displays a distinct lack of vocabulary. Perhaps it is
> a sign of the times, but we can all choose if we want
> to be where it is commonly used - playground, hotel,
> schoolyard etc. But why should I be attacked for
> complaining about it? you'd think that I was the one
> displaying offensive behaviour!

You haven't been attacked for it, and your points are appreciated. However, I would like to point out that you are in the minority when it comes to the "b" word used in the other thread.

A search through my posts should show you I do try to steer away from swearing in this public forum.

I just think it is a swing towards accepted culture, influenced mainly by the effect of media upon our everyday life. Baldy has given a good example of how far the pendulum has swung since his youth. Maybe this is just how it is?

Lo.

Susan B
23-01-2003, 06:55 AM
> I don't like bad language in public.

No, nor do I but I'm just a tiny wee bit more relaxed than you about the kind of words that are offensive in public. Remember: everyone is different. I don't find the word "bugger" to be offensive but for some reason I don't like "bummer" and to me "crap" and "****" have no place in public although I might use them in private.

> Perhaps it is a sign of the times, but we can all choose if we want to be where it is commonly used - playground, hotel, schoolyard etc.

It is a sign of the times and I think it's disgraceful. The kids today don't know how to speak a sentence without swearing and their everyday language is shocking. I do my bit to try and clean it up but it's like trying to hold back a tidal wave all on my own.

> I was under the impression that this was a family oriented forum, somewhere where I could voice my opinions without insults or personal attack.

It is and you can but you have to remember that other people feel that you are attacking them when you pull them up for bad language. Especially when Tom is told off and Harry isn't because you don't read all the threads. We are all going to have to contribute to keeping it clean and a simple "Please don't use <insert word>, it is considered bad language on this forum and offensive".

> it displays a distinct lack of vocabulary.

Then you will have to teach people what IS acceptable!!! Give them a substitute to use! Instead of the F-word tell them to use Toyota (credit to Babe for bringing that one here :D).

Les, like you say this is a public forum and it reflects society as it is out in the big bad world, though I do have to say that 95% of the people who come here are probably better mannered than what you would find "out in the street". I think you are going to have to relax just a tiny little bit otherwise you are going to drive yourself and others away from this wonderful forum.

I have just had a brilliant idea!!! Can I suggest that you make up a list of what offends you along with acceptable alternatives? We can then have a discussion and put an "unacceptable words and their alternatives" list into the FAQs. That way all we will need to do is point offenders in that direction and hopefully no more arguments will ensue. Good idea?? :-)
Engages butterfly suit once more and floats off out the door to work

Clueless
23-01-2003, 07:00 AM
"Toyota"

Great.... I knew there had to be some use for the word!

:D

.Clueless

cyberchuck
23-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Crozier:
> Instead it's been hijacked by a growing minority of foulmouthed,
> semi-literate oafs!
I don't know - don't forget that some of the newest and most recent contributors - like me and agent (for example), haven't been that foul-mouthed. You did get me on one occassion I think, but that was it.

> It's not just the swearing or the personal attacks, it's also the general
> schoolyard behaviour.... especially since school finished shortly before
> Christmas.
Different parts of the school yard influence different types of behavior. If your in the school library, would you expect personal attack? - or if your playing rugby/soccer on the field I don't think you could expect personal attack - except when you score for your team and the others get upset by it - but I wouldn't say that's personal - more disgust that you managed to score and they didn't stop you

> Well I, for one, am fed up with it. As the lunatics have taken over the
> asylum they can keep it!
Your not going to leave are you? - there are things you can do to stand up for yourself without invoking personal attack - inform Bruce what's happening could be one!

Susan:
> It is a sign of the times and I think it's disgraceful. The kids today don't
> know how to speak a sentence without swearing and their everyday
> language is shocking. I do my bit to try and clean it up but it's like trying
> to hold back a tidal wave all on my own.
Could you change "The kids today" to something a little less majoric? - maybe "Most of the kids today" or "many of the kids today"??? - thanks!!

As for your idea in regards to a FAQ over language in this forum, although an excellent idea, wouldn't it be easier just to have a script on the server, so if word = crap then replace with c*** or a less offensive word? - or why not ask Bruce to add them into the Profanity filter?

CyberChuck

roofus
23-01-2003, 07:41 AM
> I was under the impression that this was a family
> oriented forum, somewhere where I could voice my
> opinions without insults or personal attack. Where my
> daughter could share the experience and learn with
> me. Instead it's been hijacked by a growing minority
> of foulmouthed, semi-literate oafs!
>
This personal attack here is just as bad as the language we are discussing about. Once again Crozier you contradict yourself.
Why just because you don't use the word bollocks does it make it ok to call someone an oaf?

Also someone mentioned that we should update the swearing database so that if someone types in a swear word it gets replaced with F****, but as susan noted, its just as bad as saying the word because your mind decyphers what the would should be and hence is used in the context it was intended for. What needs to happen is that if there is a swearword the message can't be posted.
But might i say i havn't seen a thread that has the F word in it. This thread was created because of a couple of people getting upset about crappy and bollocks. Not really hard core crime is it!

Crozier what does your daughter think about you callling other people names? Is she allowed to do this to other people? Maybe she is one of these people in the play ground we are refering to?!!!
Something to think about eh!

roofus
23-01-2003, 07:46 AM
I just had a read of the flame thread "Backing up my game"

I think this good christian aka as crozier is going to hell. He preach's his all mightness and goodness but then contradicts himself by picking on people and calling them oafs or morons!

Must be a catholic

roofus
23-01-2003, 07:50 AM
thats "aka known as crozier"

just for Mr exact himself, otherwise he won't understand

honeylaser
23-01-2003, 08:06 AM
> thats "aka known as crozier"

Being picky of grammar here, aka stands for "also known as", so you just stated that twice.

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Okay - That's too far!

Telling sobody they're going to be going to hell has no place here man!

As a christian too, I believe that everybody in this world has a choice to make, and should they believe in Jesus Christ who rose from the grave after three days, they will be saved to spend eternity in heaven!

Now.... To tell a christian they are going to go to hell is kinda low matey...
I for one would be very offended.

I know that if crozier believes in Jesus Christ and accepts him as lord and savior and repents from his ways, then he will spend eternity with god in Heaven.

Now - All christians do still do things wrong, but the thing is (Although some pre-believers do this) we admit it and ask for forgiveness from god and those who we've done wrong towards.

Dont go into attacking peoples religious beliefs on a Computer Heldesk Website alright! Find somewhere else - Please!

Veale
23-01-2003, 08:27 AM
> As a christian too, I believe that everybody in this
> world has a choice to make, and should they believe
> in Jesus Christ who rose from the grave after three
> days, they will be saved to spend eternity in
> heaven!

Some people may find your preaching as offensive as the rest of the people here swearing!

A message to a select few... On the odd time I come to this site, all I find is people like you posting rubbish like the above.

Why don't you all turn your computers off for the day and go outside for some fresh air. Some of you are displaying signs of carbon monoxide poisoning which is common if you stay in the same room for long periods of time. There is life outside of Pressf1.

honeylaser
23-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Looks like we got that Great Debate going ;)

Rather than simply agreeing to disagree, how about we look at it like this. They are a heck of a lot of people who post here. We all make an effort to respect other peoples opinions and feelings, and generally that works just fine... but in some cases, people will have differing opinions - such as what is and what is not acceptable in terms of language used.

For the range of people that post here, from first time computer users in their 60's, to people with children, people without, Christians, Catholics, Mormons, Atheists, students, children and the odd dog or cat; there are suprisingly few issues. When they do surface, instead of trying to label someone as being wrong, or their opinion being not valid, we should all try to learn something then move on. We all have common goals and interests as far as the purpose for this place goes, and when you don't agree with something, it's fine to state that. Saying "I don't agree with what you just said" or "That offends me" is perfectly fine. There isn't any need to dissolve into slanging matches and insults.

PressF1 is a great service, and we are very lucky to have it. I'd hate to see everyone jeopardising what we have because of different opinions. Let's stop throwing our toys, eh?

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 08:45 AM
> Looks like we got that Great Debate going ;)
>
> Rather than simply agreeing to disagree, how about we
> look at it like this. They are a heck of a lot of
> people who post here. We all make an effort to
> respect other peoples opinions and feelings, and
> generally that works just fine... but in some cases,
> people will have differing opinions - such as what is
> and what is not acceptable in terms of language
> used.
>
> For the range of people that post here, from first
> time computer users in their 60's, to people with
> children, people without, Christians, Catholics,
> Mormons, Atheists, students, children and the odd dog
> or cat; there are suprisingly few issues. When they
> do surface, instead of trying to label someone as
> being wrong, or their opinion being not valid, we
> should all try to learn something then move on. We
> all have common goals and interests as far as the
> purpose for this place goes, and when you don't agree
> with something, it's fine to state that. Saying "I
> don't agree with what you just said" or "That offends
> me" is perfectly fine. There isn't any need to
> dissolve into slanging matches and insults.

I fully agree with you, and can stick with that :)

>
> PressF1 is a great service, and we are very lucky to
> have it.

Indeed - Think of the number of people we've all helped out with their computer problems :D We're putting repair-men/women out of a job! In a good way though :)

> I'd hate to see everyone jeopardising what
> we have because of different opinions. Let's stop
> throwing our toys, eh?

Now now - Throwing your computer should be reserved for when its just lost hours of you work, Then you can throw it out the window.. Otherwise it'll break ;-)

roofus
23-01-2003, 08:48 AM
I apologise for my comment in regards to crozier and hell.
I too am a Christian, but got a bit wild in the heat of the moment, crozier just amazes me with comments.

crozier
23-01-2003, 08:48 AM
>Some people may find your preaching as offensive as the rest of the people here swearing!

Posted by Veale: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29277&message=117248#117248

"Last time I heard, New Zealand was a country where people were free to express any beliefs they had, whether it be Christian, Muslim, mormon, atheist etc etc. What people celebrate (or don't celebrate) on December 25th is up to them."

Well said Veale!
New Zealand is a Christian country and, as such, Christians a free to express their beliefs.

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 08:52 AM
did you ever get that tree to come out right in the end??

agent
23-01-2003, 08:56 AM
> New Zealand is a Christian country and, as such, Christians are free to express their beliefs.

I'm probably interpretting this wrong, but does that mean that people of other beliefs cannot express their beliefs? Or that if a Muslim is proclaiming something on Queen St the police are likely to arrest them?

Instead of saying New Zealand is a Christian country, I'd say the majority (and it may not be big) of people in New Zealand are Christians. That doesn't make NZ a Christian country.

And hey, I don't believe that there are any gods whatsoever, but I don't go out preaching my thoughts, because it's my business and I don't feel the need to. Of course, I'd love it if people all shared my point of view, but that's being unrealistic.

Veale
23-01-2003, 09:04 AM
> > New Zealand is a Christian country and, as such,
> Christians are free to express their beliefs.
>
> I'm probably interpretting this wrong, but does that
> mean that people of other beliefs cannot express
> their beliefs? Or that if a Muslim is proclaiming
> something on Queen St the police are likely to arrest
> them?
>
> Instead of saying New Zealand is a Christian country,
> I'd say the majority (and it may not be big) of
> people in New Zealand are Christians. That doesn't
> make NZ a Christian country.

Thats being picky, he was making a point. And if you want to get technical, If New Zealand has a majority of Christians as you said, it does make us a Christian country. The majority rules I do believe.

Petty arguments such as this aren't worth fighting over however.

Veale

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Read some interesting stats here:
http://www.nasamike.com/main/book/preface.htm

agent
23-01-2003, 09:12 AM
In a democracy, yes, the majority rules, but it's the minority that spoils it for the majority

agent wonders if he's now taken croziers side accidentally

honeylaser
23-01-2003, 09:20 AM
> Thats being picky, he was making a point. And if you
> want to get technical, If New Zealand has a majority
> of Christians as you said, it does make us a
> Christian country. The majority rules I do believe.

As of 1996 (and the Statistics dept agrees that since then "Fewer people are identifying with the major Christian denominations, while more people are identifying with the major non-Christian religions"), 1,738,428 people identified with being Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist - while 1,879,878 people identified with other or no religion (including Buddhist, Hindu, Jedi etc). Not much of a majority, really.

I'm not on either side of the argument, just stating the facts, BTW.

roofus
23-01-2003, 09:27 AM
hey this isn't a thread about religions, its about swearing! :-)

If you want a religious debate, well thats a whole different thread. And no one think of starting a political debate either! lol :-)

Dragonslayer
23-01-2003, 09:33 AM
> Instead of saying New Zealand is a Christian country,
> I'd say the majority (and it may not be big) of
> people in New Zealand are Christians. That doesn't
> make NZ a Christian country.
>

You really that the majority of poeple in New Zealand are Christians??
According to the 1996 Census at:

http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/external/Web/nzstories.nsf/092edeb76ed5aa6bcc256afe0081d84e/553e95d870abb153cc256b1e0080ad44?OpenDocument

1,338,384 people have Other response including no religion out of 3,618,303 total.

Compared to the rest of the religions on the chart, Then Christians DEFINATELY are NOT the majority.

agent
23-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Ooooooh! Politics! This could turn out to be the most interesting thread in a while... :)

Well, how about I start... Bill English is a country boy, and that's where he should stay. National has traditionally appealed more to people who live in rural areas, and Labour to "city-folk".

Now, we could get into why politicians are always ugly, but there's no valid argument for why they are... :p

Lohsing
23-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Is it just me, or has my OT thread been hijacked by religion and politics?? :(

;)

Lo.

crozier
23-01-2003, 09:59 AM
>1,338,384 people have Other response including no religion out of 3,618,303 total.

>Compared to the rest of the religions on the chart, Then Christians DEFINATELY are NOT the majority.

If you add up all the Christian denominations featured in that census you come to arounf 1.9 million. Then Christians DEFINATELY are NOT the majority.

Pollly
23-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I've just read this thread and the 'Backing up my game' thread, and I've started to wonder what they are putting in the water in NZ nowadays?

Pollly from The Netherlands (Het land waar alles mag!)

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 10:07 AM
> I've just read this thread and the 'Backing up my
> game' thread, and I've started to wonder what they
> are putting in the water in NZ nowadays?
>
Its not the water - Its the high Radiation level monitors... ;-)

-=JM=-
23-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Every thing is going to offend some person somewhere. Replacing words with f*** or **** does not do anything in 90% of the times I can pick out what the word was without trying.

There is never going to be a list of words everyone aggrees to being allowed/disallowed.

Then someone can still probably say odpierdol sie huju bo
ci zapierdole .

[pre]hopes no ones polish[/i]

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 10:25 AM
http://world.altavista.com/ says that you made a spelling error?!

What language do the Polish speak? Portuguese? Perhaps Im trying the wrong languages!

roofus
23-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Hoe geet het met you Polly.

is that anything like "How are you Polly"?

Ik ler nederland spreaken

honeylaser
23-01-2003, 10:30 AM
> Every thing is going to offend some person somewhere.
> Replacing words with f*** or **** does not do
> anything in 90% of the times I can pick out what the
> word was without trying.
>
> There is never going to be a list of words everyone
> aggrees to being allowed/disallowed.
>
> Then someone can still probably say odpierdol sie
> huju bo
> ci zapierdole .
>
> [pre]hopes no ones polish[/i]

I don't, but I do have good google skills. Thats filthy.

Baldy
23-01-2003, 10:36 AM
> Every thing is going to offend some person somewhere.
> Replacing words with f*** or **** does not do
> anything in 90% of the times I can pick out what the
> word was without trying.
>
> There is never going to be a list of words everyone
> aggrees to being allowed/disallowed.
>
> Then someone can still probably say odpierdol sie
> huju bo
> ci zapierdole .
>
> [pre]hopes no ones polish[/i]

I AM......... I polish my head every day

BALDY:-)

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 10:39 AM
> > Every thing is going to offend some person
> somewhere.
> > Replacing words with f*** or **** does not do
> > anything in 90% of the times I can pick out what
> the
> > word was without trying.
> >
> > There is never going to be a list of words
> everyone
> > aggrees to being allowed/disallowed.
> >
> > Then someone can still probably say odpierdol
> sie
> > huju bo
> > ci zapierdole .
> >
> > [pre]hopes no ones polish[pre]
>
> I don't, but I do have good google skills. Thats
> filthy.

http://www.insults.net/html/odd/random.html
Had a look at that site... Not nice.. Im just glad most people arent polish or dont search google for it!

Pollly
23-01-2003, 11:40 AM
> Hoe geet het met you Polly.
>
> is that anything like "How are you Polly"?
>
> Ik ler nederland spreaken
>

You should sue your Tutor, Roofus. ;\

roofus
23-01-2003, 11:44 AM
lol
na i don't have a tutor. many years ago i had a dutch girlfriend, i was just trying to recall a couple of phrases i had learnt

Graham L
23-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Welcome to 1914. A study of swearing in modern English (http://www.andrewgray.com/essays/swearing.htm) is interesting. I see there is a book just out with a collection of colloquialisms from G B Shaw, called Not Bloody Likely.

Susan B
23-01-2003, 03:11 PM
> Could you change "The kids today" to something a little less majoric? - maybe "Most of the kids today" or "many of the kids today"??? - thanks!!

CC: I unreservedly apologise for that comment - I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote it and saw immediately after it was posted that it was too general but had no time to fix it. Yes, I definitely meant "a lot of kids", not all kids. Sorry. :-)

write-click
24-01-2003, 10:46 AM
It's funny, but when I first got my computer I used this site for information. Now I use it for entertainment! As for swearing, I swear myself but probably don't do it so much in writing - saying a swear word in conversation with like-minded people is quite different to putting it down on paper/on the net. I've only been offended once by the language in PressF1 and that was in a post I saw before the moderator - it wasn't there for long. From memory it was by someone with Mafia in their posting name and consisted of the kind of language you'd expect Linda Blair to spout if the Exorcist was made today! It was just one foul word or expression after another, and when someone asked them to cut it out, the language became worse. I'm pretty broad-minded but I was horrified by the almost violent nature of the post. I was too scared to respond to it in case they found out where I lived! On the whole, I think PressF1 is fine, I don't think people deliberately set out to offend others, more that some people are perhaps a little more sensitive than others. Maybe we could be a little less judgemental and adopt a 'live and let live' attitude.