PDA

View Full Version : AVG Update

Kiwitas
22-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi to all AVG AV users,

Grisoft has almost 1Mb of virus definitions,(1001.2 kb's)
to include W32Ditex&W32Farmer and the Worms,Eroc,
Retro & Socay to name a few, for you to download and keep up
with the "Baddies"!

Go get em and keep NZ clean!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

bba12
22-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I'd better update. I find AVG great! :)

Misty
23-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks kiwitas, however I downloaded earlier tonight from Grisoft and the download, which was - d602ndnb - , is 3.06Mg. Have I got something different than you ? I have the free version of AVG
(though am thinking of buying something else to increase security some more).

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2003, 08:51 AM
You might have not updated recently so It might have downloaded some older definitions etc.

Misty
23-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Chilling_Silence - I think I understand that a bit, makes sense.
I only downloaded AVG about 2-3 weeks ago and it was probably a basic platform(if I can use that term) of v6.0. The thing that fooled me was the download (of 3.06Mg) had only one description, but it was probably made up of lots of little parcels which had been issued over a period so that the later you got the basic platform the bigger the add-on. Is that how it works ?

Terry Porritt
23-01-2003, 04:51 PM
The other thing that happens, is that the AV executable engines also get updated periodically, these are several MB. Usually when this happens you get asked to restart your computer. A plain signature file just installs without a restart.

Maybe thats what happened to you.

Greg S
23-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi. Has anyone ever discovered an adequate test, or in other ways, proved that AVG is effective? Maybe it's just me, but I've NEVER get any sort of virus problem, reported or intercepted; not in 7 years of Internet and computer use, and therefore wonder if this programme is at all good? The most I've had, on two occasions, were suspicious looking emails, which I deleted out-of-hand, which I suspected were worms.

How do you know, if you don't get any viruses usually in the first place?

I use AVG now, after good old InoculateIt stopped their free prog, but hmmm - should I feel confident in AVG? Of course I update regularly, and know sufficient about PC security for it not to cause me sleepless nights!

E.ric
23-01-2003, 07:10 PM
testing, seem to have a problem loging on

Jen C
23-01-2003, 07:16 PM
> Hi. Has anyone ever discovered an adequate test, or
> in other ways, proved that AVG is effective?

> How do you know, if you don't get any viruses usually
> in the first place?

You can download an antiviral software checker from eicar - The Anti-Virus test file (http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm)

Jen

Terry Porritt
23-01-2003, 07:23 PM
For some reason I couldnt get Jens' link to work. This is the test file code:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Use a text editor and type the above as a single line, save the file as eicar.com

Eicar = European Institute of Computer Antivirus Research.

Terry Porritt
23-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Now Jens' link is working after a lot of clicking :)

Jen C
23-01-2003, 07:29 PM
> Now Jens' link is working after a lot of clicking :)

I hope you didn't wear the link out Terry :D

Terry Porritt
23-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Something funny was going on, I wasnt able to post for a while either, F1 asked me to login again even though I was already logged on??

One fault I found with AVG is that it would tell me that various DOS Bios utilities were virus's, presumably because they had code to write to the Bios. Even one of Vernon D. Buergs List programs got thrown up as a virus, whereas F-Prot just ignored the same utilities, otherwise AVG seems ok.
The only virus's Ive had as email attachments were isolated by ZoneAlarm. (my email client is not recognised by AVG)

-=JM=-
23-01-2003, 09:03 PM
I've always found AVG to work fine for me.

I'm using Nortons on this PC (thanks robo.) with it's email checking it listens to the email being sent/receivied through the standard 110/25 of pop3/smtp.

bmason
24-01-2003, 10:19 AM
AVG works for me.

Its eudora plugin has picked up all the MS outlook worms I've been sent and I've used it to clean out a number of infected systems.