PDA

View Full Version : Help Help, Database Design - Web Site

Annanz
20-01-2003, 08:34 PM
We own small toy store, which has been run my parents for over 20 years. We like to put it online, but need some advice. I understand how to design web page, like layout, frames & drop down menu etc using Microsoft Frontpage. But instead of having to create a page for every product, would like to use database to retrieve the product information from, like pictures & text. Looked at using Microsoft Access but been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out, even though spent a lot of time reading help files online. Is there any database program all products that can make this job a lot simpler???????

JoGiles
20-01-2003, 09:20 PM
My preferred way of doing this is using a web based language called PHP, and a database program called MySQL.

Once the information is in the MySQL database, it's simply a matter of PHP retrieving the information using basic statements, however this may be a bit difficult for a beginning website designer.

You may need to design your site how you like it, make the templates, and then get a database designer and website programmer (such as myself) to do the harder parts.

Good luck,
Jonathan

Heather P
20-01-2003, 10:45 PM
To create web pages you need to either know HTML or use a program to create the HTML for you.

To create a web site with database access you again use HTML to create the layout, but use a different language - PHP, ASP or ColdFusion - to access the database.

The database itself could be created in MSAcess or MySQL or similar.

My suggestion would be to design the layout for your site on paper then find someone else to do the database side of it.

If you're planning on on-line sales you will also need a shopping cart attached to the site.

If you need a hand you could contact me - heather details co nz (add the appropriate symbols in the address)

Greg S
20-01-2003, 11:09 PM
haha - It sounds like the other 'helpers" are out to make bucks from our free help forum! LOL I'll happily set it up for you, no cost, no obligation, whatsoever.

Just drop me your contact email addy.

Rgdz
Greg

JoGiles
21-01-2003, 02:25 AM
I'm not out to make any bucks, and made no mention of that! :)

I said exactly what Heather said - the advanced stuff will probably need someone else, and Heather, you and myself have all offered to give a hand.

I hope my attempt at helping is not interpretted as me trying to make bucks, as it makes me feel extremely shallow.

Hope one of us can help, however I'm in Singapore for the next week...

Ciao,
Jo

Greg S
21-01-2003, 09:52 AM
My apologies to you and Heather.

Dolby Digital
21-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Of course, the other side of the coin, get a free web site by asking on a free website forum (no offence Anna).

Some of us have to make a living (well try anyway) I'd love to write open source software all day but it seems that money is way that we trade these days.

Annanz
21-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Appreciate the replies, but if I need to learn Database programming where do I start??? Got another month to fill in, before going back to Uni.

Do understand it's going to take a lot longer than a month to learn, just don't want to be dependent on someone else. Just hoping there could have been simpler way of doing it, without learning database programming.

This is probably stupid question because; there is probably no way of telling what database programming language was use to design database for http://www.iqtoys.co.nz

Dolby Digital
22-01-2003, 01:42 AM
There are some hosting services which provide a shopping cart as part of their services e.g. hostme.co.nz (uses php/mySQL - note that I haven't used their service!) so presumably you can design a site around it and their software will handle all that "dirty" database work.

sc0ut
22-01-2003, 02:45 AM
if you want to learn a sever side program (e.g. ASP, PHP or Cold Fusion) i did a 9 month course @ the National Collage Of Design and Technology (based in Ack, Well and ChCh) the Dip IT teach you how to make a online Shopping cart using ASP they also do a bit of PHP (enough to make basic things)

here is what i made (it is NO WHERE NEAR finished and i haven't uploaded all the pics) but you can see it is data base driven by all the quarry-strings
http://www24.brinkster.com/sc0ut/asp/index.asp

if you want to learn a bit go to www.w3schools.com (not w3schools.com "s" it is some religious cult) here you can learn ASP, PHP, SQL, XML.......

personally i prefer ASP cos i find it easyer, its really easy to make member only sites in it

i'm raveling

oh and it looks like ASP on iqToys cos of"?page=4" but most sever side programs use similar quarry-strings

Heather P
22-01-2003, 09:16 AM
As you are starting from scratch one possiblity is to first check out a host.

Work out what you need:
- access limitations (if you get big with lots of hits will you pay extra?)
- disk space
- type of database
- shopping cart
- credit card facilites (if you are into high volume turnover then you may want something that will do credit checks for you. If it's only going to be one or two toys a day this can be done off line and the credit check facility added at a later date if required)
- languages they support

A couple of places to start are:
www.2day.com
www.netsmart.co.nz

When you find the host then learn the language.
The three major languages (currently) would be ASP, ColdFusion and PHP.

sal
22-01-2003, 02:39 PM
>>This is probably stupid question because; there is probably no way of
>>telling what database programming language was use to design
>>database for http://www.iqtoys.co.nz

its not asp, but actually php, they used phtml (http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0%2C%2Csid13_gci213572%2C00.html), which is rarely used as an extension for php pages (.php is the norm these days),

you are right in saying a month is abit short of time to learn how to make a fully database driven website, usually your looking at about 3 months if coding from scratch, and thats with knowledge of what your doing.

of the language/database combinations already menioned here, id have to suggest the php/mysql bundle,

do a google search to look for some tutorials, but you'll find it might be best to get some basic knowledge on your database/language of choice, and then seek professional help, (one of the offers from here would be invaluable)

btw, what does your current webhosting package consist of? (xx MB webspace, xxGB transfer, languages supported, any database provided?)

grtz sal.
tga