PDA

View Full Version : external modem

Shiloh
19-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Can you leave an external modem plugged in and turned on over night when the computer is turned off. When I do this the computer will not detect the modem when I boot up next day. I have to switch the modem off and on then reboot. The retailer told me to turn the modem off at night If so should I unplug the power pack as well, this would be a pain in the butt.

godfather
19-01-2003, 07:38 PM
If the modem has a switch on it (on/off) then this will be adequate for powering it down. You would not achieve anything more by turning off the power pack.

Shiloh
19-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Thank You. Is it advisable to turn this switch off when the computer is off ?

godfather
19-01-2003, 08:12 PM
I am not sure why your PC needs to have the modem off at boot time.

I used to run 2 external modems, they were never turned off, ever. The PC's booted no problem and recognised the modems. The only time it was ever a problem was if you tried to access the modem and it was not turned on, that usually needed a reboot. Hence I never turned them off, its the opposite to your situation?

This was under Windows ME and Windows XP

Are we talking about a serial RS232 connected modem, I assume.

So I can't see any problem leaving the modem powered up even when not used. It doesn't use much power.

Susan B
19-01-2003, 08:18 PM
I have found that I have to make sure my external modem is switched on before turning on the computer or the modem won't be detected. Mine doesn't need to be switched off then on again though.

With this Win XP computer there are so many devices (eg speakers, monitor, modem) with lights still glowing after the PC is shut down that I now turn the switch off at the wall. All the devices are on a surge protector so I've only got one switch to turn off and when I turn it back on in the morning everything is ready to go again.

Whether it is necessary or not I feel more comfortable turning them all off when they are not being used.

Shiloh
19-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Yes it is a serial RS232, I leave it on all the time, but the last three mornings I have booted up it has not detected the modem until I turn off the computer, switch the modem on and off and reboot.
I have removed and reinstalled the cable. The modem is only two weeks old, it may be faulty.

Shiloh
19-01-2003, 08:27 PM
I would add the modem was turned on when not detected, running win xp

godfather
19-01-2003, 08:46 PM
If it never used to act this way, your suspicions could be correct.
If possible to take it back and try another would be the first step. It rather sounds like the modem is locking up after being left on, to the extent it won't respond at the boot time.

I don't believe thats a normal behaviour.

Shiloh
19-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Yea I'll take it back. Thank you both for your help.