PDA

View Full Version : Playstation thru Computer Monitor

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey - i hav an amd duron 1.3ghz, 40gig hd, gigabyte kt400 m/b, 256ddr ram, and a nVidia GeForce4 MX graphics card. I will explain to you what I am trying to do: I have a Sony mini system with a/v inputs in it. I have plugged my playstation into thos inputs, and hav run a video cable from the video out at the back of my mini system, to the video in slot on my nVidia GeForce4 MX. I am running the sound of my playstation thru my stereo, and was trying to get the video to show on my computers monitor. Is there a way of doing this? If so, how?
Any Help would be appreciated,
-Jordan

Baldy
18-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't you be better off using a TV? It is probably a bit too complicated to hook up successfully

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 07:44 PM
I would have done that except I dont have a TV anywhere close to where my computer is - and i don't really fancy moving it closer to the TV :P - Any help on how to set it up with the video going thru my computer monitor??

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 07:46 PM
I would have used a TV if there was one closer - i could always move my computer out of the study and closer to the TV, but I don't really fancy doing that :P - Has anyone got any help/suggestions on how to get the video running thru my computer monitor??
-Jordan

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Oops sorry bout that double up of basically the same msg - PressF1's site said there was an error posting the first msg :P

wotz
18-01-2003, 08:31 PM
?:| am I missing something here? Why would you need to move the pc to the TV?

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 08:33 PM
:P sorry bout that a bit tired yet again :P this is how it is: I hav a comp in my room - my olds dont let me use my playstation on the TV when they are using the TV (fair enough :P) but, they use the TV all night :P - so, i thought i would hav a go @ playing the playstation thru my computer - it may be difficult, but i wanna giv it a go :)
- Jordan

godfather
18-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Explain why you need to put the video circuit through the Mini System?

Audio I can understand, but Video? Why doesnt the Video out of the PS go to your Video in on the GF4 card, then just use whatever software you normally use to view external video?.

Some would have come with your GF4 card

csinclair83
18-01-2003, 08:43 PM
i dont know if what i gonna say is true but i got told u can get a lil program to install on ur computer and u can actually play playstation games on the computer..using normal cd drive....
the only catch is u cant use playstation controls...u'd have to preset some..

i've not tried this but heard of it...mite juust be a rumour...if it is..sorry..

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey - i am running the playstation thru the stereo , yes, for sound reasons - i thought i might as well use all the features on my stereo and hook up the video from the playstation into the stereo as well. @ the back of the stereo there is a video out plug (usually used for plugging into a TV). I hav run a video cable that came with my GeForce from the video out - to the video in on my computer ( i could just hook up the playstations video out cable to my computers video in directly but, yeah, not much difference). What software do I use to veiw external devices? I hav installed all the software from the GF4 CD and all the latest updates from the www.nvidia.com site. ----->csinclair83: Twas not a rumor that you heard - it is called a playstation emulator - i didnt use one - 1. Because I already hav a playstation and thought i might as well use it :P - and 2. Because I like to use the playstation controllers and don't have the money to by the special input needed on my computer to insert playstation controllers :P.
So If anyone can tell what program I should be using to play the video from external devices, plz speak up now :) - once I have that program I should be sweet (hopefully). Thanks every1 for ure help so far.
-Jordan

flyer590
18-01-2003, 09:14 PM
I don't think it is possible (at least easily ;-)) to hook up your playstation to a monitor. The Linux kit for Playstation 2 includes a lead to hook up the PS2 to a monitor, although it can only be used for Linux, not games (as explained on this (http://playstation2-linux.com/faq.php#Can_I_use_the_monitor_cable_with) page).

csinclair83
18-01-2003, 09:17 PM
y dont u be the first to invent a computer
that can dual boot, and run xbox..playstation and computer games all on 1 system thru 1 cd drive...and have stockets in back for each control required...and for it to run as a normal computer...
u'd make megabucks for that since alot of people have either xbox and pc or ps2 and pc...

put my name down for credit if u do this :P

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Here - I just quickly signed up with yahoo and did a crap diagram and put it on a crap page so you could get the picture of how its setup in ure head :P Crap Diagram (http://www.geocities.com/playstationthrucompmonitor/ crap_diagram.html)

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 09:33 PM
hang on - you cant enlarge the image - just a sec.....

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 09:44 PM
or maybe.......just 5 mins :P - man yahoo page builder takes a long time to load :(

godfather
18-01-2003, 09:54 PM
I understand what you are doing (the diagram enlarges if you know how) and it should work, with the caveat that the Mini System doesnt screw the video for any reason. The Mini System certainly wont add any quality, and I would bypass it for the video lead only, but your mileage may vary.

All you need is the right driver/software for your GF4. For displaying external video.

Now I have never had to use it as the work I have done, I used WinCoder (I was capturing the video) but it displayed it fine. That software came with my GF4 MX 460.

Look on google for WDM drivers, I *think* they are for external video display?

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 09:56 PM
stuff it - it aint loading :( sorry bout that ppl - still, duz anyone no about a program that plays video from external devices (thru a video in connection)???
-Jordan

cyberchuck
18-01-2003, 10:09 PM
A few questions:
1 - are you using a video capture program to view the playstation on your monitor via the computer?
2 - are you hooking up the audio AV cables directly to your minisystem or are you going through an Audio in on your computer which oes to Audio out and then Audio in on your minisystem - although seemingly pointless if you are running direct to your Minisystem then you should be able to put it on Video or whatever the AV input connection is called and then hear the music from the playstation, whereas if your running it via the computer you will need to use Audio Capture (either with your Video Capture or Sound Recorder to hear Audio)

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:09 PM
godfather - i hav downloaded the latest WDM software from nVidia and installed it - i just cant find an executable from installing the WDM software that displays any video of any kind :S - is there one somehwere that i dont know about?

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:14 PM
cyberchuck - i am hooking the audio connections from my playstation directly into my mini system. i hav installed WDM video capture - and hav just gone into device manager and realised that it is not functioning properly. It says that it 'cannot start the device' code 10. What do I do?? This may be the key.
-jordan

JamesStewart
18-01-2003, 10:15 PM
ok, Every thought of getting a "Emulator" for your computer? Bleem! Is a really good one. It means you can play PLaystation games on your computer. Just type "Playstation Emulator" into google.com and look around. And the put the audio out from your computer into your sterio. I think that is the better otion (sell your playstation and buy a T.V LOL).

James

godfather
18-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Code 10 means no driver

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:27 PM
but i just downloaded the drivers today - hmmmm......i also tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver for the WDM video capture - any suggestions??

JamesStewart
18-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Yes, try an emulator!!!!

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:31 PM
james : -------------->read post 10 :P

JamesStewart
18-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Umm ok, dude, you can get a exact same controler as a ps (is it a ps1 or ps2????) from DSE (Dick Smith) for $29.00 that plugs into your computer. Is that too expensive + you could sell your playstation and get :D

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:39 PM
i wanna try it this way - okay? :P

JamesStewart
18-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Well, It sounds perthetic and complicated to me so, :|. If I was you I would:

A) Just use a T.V!!! (Move you sterio and playstion to where the TV is!)
B) Use an emulator
C) Stop spending so much time on a playstation................

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 10:45 PM
hey man settle, im just interested to see if it can work this way. and if it can - then it suits me good :)

Beef
18-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Stop telling him to use a T.V, he doesn't want to!!

it should just work by pluggin in the video out from the stereo (i understand that situation as I have a sony mini-system exactly like yours) into the gf4 video-in, now all you have to do is get software that will allow you to view the video that is coming in.

It won't be in any special playstation format bullshit cause it's jsut video.

So find yourself a video capture programme. and it should, it should work.

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 11:00 PM
beef, mate, beautiful sum up - that is exactly what I hav done - and I am looking for a video capture program @ the moment :):) - If anyone already knows of one - can you plz let me know :) thanks a lot,
-Jordan

Beef
18-01-2003, 11:01 PM
His Diagram (http://www.geocities.com/playstationthrucompmonitor/diagram.jpg)

It's pretty straight forward what he is tryin' to do..stop giving him **** about.

Beef
18-01-2003, 11:02 PM
There are a few video capture programmes on the pc world cd's a few months back.

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 11:06 PM
thanks beef - ill just go hav a look @ there site :):)

XP-dition
18-01-2003, 11:23 PM
beef :8} - you wouldnt happen to know what any of those programs were called would you?

Beef
18-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Ulead Video Studio 4, on the April 2002 cd. 300 mb..Free, Full version.

I think that may help you.

But with those drivers and that code 10, I have no idea about that really

valiantnz
19-01-2003, 01:56 AM
are you sure that your card supports video in. And it is not just a TV out plug in the back of your card. Just a while ago on gameplanet this guy was trying to say that you could use your tv out as a tv in(lol) this was a bigg unknown secret.(lolx2) and all you had to do was down load drivers for my vivo from nvidia and cap tv and you were away. Of course this didn't work. But you could try captv. It is free. I know you dont want to play on a tv. but it may have some thing useful in it.some one else here will know. But what sort of card do you have and what brand.Why I mention this gameplanet post is that is the same error that was thrown up when this fellow tried to use a tv out plug as tv,video in. Error 10 missing device. I would say that means no TVin decoder chip.Correct me if I am wrong please.

flyer590
19-01-2003, 06:49 AM
> y dont u be the first to invent a computer
> that can dual boot, and run xbox..playstation and
> computer games all on 1 system thru 1 cd drive...and
> have stockets in back for each control required...and
> for it to run as a normal computer...
> u'd make megabucks for that since alot of people have
> either xbox and pc or ps2 and pc...

That's sort of already been done, at techtv.com (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3381725,00.html). :-)

XP-dition
19-01-2003, 10:31 AM
My video card is a PixelView GeForce4 MX440. I am guessing it does have a video in because when I downloaded the WDM Video Capture drivers from nVidia it recognised new hardware. It installed the following drivers: nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar, nVidia WDM TV Audio Crossbar, nVidia WDM TV Tuner, and nVidia WDM Video apture (universal). I will try CapTV and see if it will work :). Any more suggestions?
-Jordan

XP-dition
19-01-2003, 10:43 AM
I have looked in the manual that came with my card @ all the differant adapter configurations - I am pretty sure that my cards config is 'VGA - With TV Out', this has the following inputs: Monitor (15pin) and Video In/Out or 3d Glesses. I had a look @ all the other adapter configs as well just in case mine wasnt the 'VGA - With TV Out', and all the other configs had the Video In/Out or 3d Glesses plug.

craig_b
19-01-2003, 10:44 AM
I was going to say the same as valientz, is your card video-in?

Here is a really simple way to check - how many connectors are on the back of the card?

If there is one for the PC monitor, and one other that has a bit of cable with an RCA plug on the end and that is all, check the display properties (right click desktop, properties, advanced) look around for something like twinView, or nView or something. If you have the option for two displays, then your card is TV-out, not video in, and as such what you are trying won't work.

If there are more connectors on the card, then it should be possible.

Craig.

godfather
19-01-2003, 10:53 AM
I am not at all sure your card actually has Video in.
I have a GF4 MX460 ViVo (Video in Video out) VGA and DVI
The 440 I looked at did not have Video in, only TV Out (Video Out) VGA and DVI

Mine has a special video plug, which accepts a special lead that came with the card, which breaks out to RCA in, RCA out SVHS in SVHS out.

XP-dition
19-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Yeah mine came with a special cable too s-video to RCA i think it is. yeah maybe i dont have video in/out :S

godfather
19-01-2003, 11:01 AM
The manuals can be confusing as they cover all variants.

If your lead has plugs for both in and out they will be different colours, I would expect to see 4 plugs on it. Or two RCA at minimum, coloured differently.

godfather
19-01-2003, 11:02 AM
But apart from everything else, you were on the right track, and what you were trying to do would work, and was a good solution.

godfather
19-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Just looked at my manual again, and it shows a single plug lead for TV out.

It only refers to cards with ViVo feature for Video in ability, and shows the 4 plug lead.

Lohsing
19-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Why don't you just download a Playstation emulator?? Bleem comes to mind... A search on google (http://directory.google.com/Top/Games/Video_Games/Emulation/Sony/PlayStation/?tc=1) comes up with some good places to look for it.

Lo.

XP-dition
19-01-2003, 11:26 AM
I have scanned the cable onto my crap page :P My Crappy Page (http://www.geocities.com/playstationthrucompmonitor/crap_diagram.html)

craig_b
19-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Ok, if that is the only end on the cable from the graphics card - as the pic suggests (its kind o dim tho) then it is a tv-out card only, and what you are trying simply can't work with your hardware - :( - was a nice idea tho.

<rant>
and to Loshing - please please please don't reiterate what has already been said by many people. It is so unneccessary.
</rant>

Lohsing
19-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Apologies if it has been said before! Didn't bother to read the other replies... just went through the first page...

Figured that if something could carry on for that many replies, then such a simple solution can't have been thought of already! :D

Lo.

TiMę:*)
19-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Did you know you can play ps games on your computer? just get an playstation emulator for free. i got "ePSXe" to play ps games on my computer and its free and it works. just search for ePSXe on google

Tim

Susan B
19-01-2003, 03:24 PM
I've enjoyed this thread. :D The imagination and ingenuity of teenagers (assuming XP-dition IS a teenager of course) fascinates (and amuses) me and it's a bit disappointing that there hasn't been a happy ending so far.

I wonder what would be cheaper - a 14" TV to put in your room, or a new graphics card? You can always sell the one you've got....

XP-dition
19-01-2003, 03:54 PM
:):) I am now going to admit defeat :_| - The problem must be that I only have a TV Out card :| - oh well, a bit more slave labour should earn me a bit of cash :) and then i think i might just by a telly :). Thanks everyone so much for your help and suggestions :D (ps. susan b - yeah i am a teenager :P).
Until the next post,
-Jordan:)

godfather
19-01-2003, 04:03 PM
The cable looks like TV out only. There are 4 separate sockets on the ViVo cable, not just one.

Bummer. It would have worked. 10/10 for ingenuity anyway

craig_b
19-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Before you admit total defeat - It seems to be possible to use the playstation video out, and with a slight modification to a commercially available cable, connect the playstation straight to a monitor.

http://www.absolute-playstation.com/api_faqs/faq11.htm

This article demonstates how, but they use an old amiga monitor instead. It MAY (or may not) be possible to adapt their method to a standard PC monitor.

Have a look anyway.
Craig.

craig_b
20-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Hah, can that idea: don't bother with it unless you have an amiga monitor - i found this info:

http://www.absolute-playstation.com/api_faqs/faq15.htm

Looks like it can't be done easily. I did find this tho, which is a commercially available box that dows the same thing - but it costs so take your pick.

http://sp2.reserve.co.uk/reviews/info.php?code=GG4207

Susan B
20-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Until you have done enough slave labour to be able to afford a TV an emulator might be a good idea after all..... :p

maky_halimo
29-12-2005, 06:39 AM
hey .. i can't download the program .. plz anybody help me ....

Haze
29-12-2005, 07:43 AM
The link was almost 3 years old, you shouldn't have expected it to work.

chiefnz
29-12-2005, 09:20 AM
What you want to achieve is very possible and quite easy but only if you have graphics card that has video in or a video capture card.

I had my X-box hooked up to my PC at one stage through my Winfast TV tuner card. It worked great. Basically all I had to do was choose the appropriate source from the Winfast PVR software and boom there it was X-box on my 15 inch LCD.

So if you're still keen on doing this then you would have to get a TV card or a video capture card... basically you need a video in somewhere to see the PS picture.

Hope that helps a bit.

cheers

chiefnz

Haze
29-12-2005, 09:57 AM
My MSI TV@Anywhere Master video capture card works fine w/ my N64 + PSX.

chiefnz
01-01-2006, 10:12 AM
I have a Winfast TV tuner card with video in. How much can you afford to pay for it. If you're interested, you can e-mail me...

chiefnz[at]quicksilver[dot]net[dot]nz

cheers

chiefnz

The_End_Of_Reality
01-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a Winfast TV tuner card with video in. How much can you afford to pay for it. If you're interested, you can e-mail me... Just struck an interest what model and year is your Winfast TV Tuner? We MIGHT be E-Mailing :thumbs:

chiefnz
01-01-2006, 02:49 PM
The card is a WinFast TV2000 XP. Have a look here (http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia/winfast_tv2000xp_deluxe_1.html)

It's about 3 years old I think, I probably used it for about 1 year after purchase, its in good nick and works fine.

cheers

chiefnz