PDA

View Full Version : Online games

J ZEP
18-01-2003, 07:44 PM
I have got my godson staying and we have got quite a few games as my partner enjoys games, however he has never tried playing online. My godson asked if he could try playing online, so i was just wondering if it would be any good as we only have a dial up connection? can he still play online with this or would it just be a waste of time as it would be too slow??? The game he would probably want to play online would be Renegade i think. And if it is possible with a dial-up are there any configuration tips for setting it up i would need???

cyberchuck
18-01-2003, 09:59 PM
> So i was just wondering if it would be any good as we only have a dial
> up connection?
depending on what servers/who's server he uses and the ping times for the Servers depends on the quality of the game. Most games reccomend a minimum of a 28.8k connection for Online Gaming

> can he still play online with this or would it just be a waste of time as it
> would be too slow???
JetStreamGames (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz) is free acceess for both ADSL and Dialup users, however Dialup users may experience lag as the service is really designed for ADSL users.

> The game he would probably want to play online would be Renegade i
> think. And if it is possible with a dial-up are there any configuration tips
> for setting it up i would need???
Dialup Config. Tips = none - the settings you use to browse the internet are exactly the same settings you want for online gaming. However I would reccomend making sure that there's no other porgrams that will want to access the internet while he is playing as this will cripple his connection/ping speeds

CyberChuck

Greg S
18-01-2003, 11:51 PM
If you can find online gamers that run via an NZ or Aus server you should be ok on dial-up. Also modem to modem games in the same city are fine too. In all cases the player will normally only be competitive if he/she has a ping time less than around 150ms.

There are in fact specific tweaks that can be made for online gaming that differ from browsing - such as giving a new command to your modem. Many hints and tips can be found by doing a Google search, such as "online gaming tweaks" etc. www.dynalink.co.nz has a support page that gives some modem tweaks for it's range of modems - if yours is not Dynalink, I am sure there are sites that can offer further help. Just be prepared to put in a little bit of work, and a lot of caution, such as backing up Windows etc.

J ZEP
19-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks for that imfo, most appreciated :-)