PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Networking

Young Whiz Kid
18-01-2003, 11:11 AM
I have just bought a brand new pentium 4 computer with Windows XP (SP1) installed :)

I also have two old windows 95 machines, and I wish to network them together. I have all the cables installed and connected to a switch, and I have an advanced knowledge of networking Windows 95 & 98 machines.

But because I am a newbie to Windows XP, I don't know how to network them together. I tried using Windows XP networking Wizard, and then tried to run the install program on the Windows 95 machines, but it says that it doesn't support Windows 95. How can I get around this problem?

Big John
18-01-2003, 11:38 AM
If you have "Advanced knowledge" of networking Windows 95&98 then you should be able to network Windows XP without any help at all. Just do the same things you did with 98 and ignore the Wizard altogeather.

Marty2001
18-01-2003, 06:45 PM
There are also the FAQs
The main thing is that you have to create users with the same username/password for all users of the workgroup that want to see/share the XP PC

Susan B
18-01-2003, 07:05 PM
If you have run the Win XP networking wizard on the XP machine it would have set that one up so just go into the other two machines' Network properties and configure them, if they need it.

If you need to reconfigure the XP settings just open Win Explorer, click on My Network places > View Network Settings and configure the adaptors in there. It's not a lot different from the other versions of Windows and you have a big head start if you have an advanced knowledge of networking.