PDA

View Full Version : Whats this noise?

Danger
16-01-2003, 09:59 PM
On starting up my P4 there is a wiring noise coming from the cpu it seems, not the hard drive. I'm not worried as it seems consistant everytime I start my computer and only lasts for about 30 seconds, just wondering what it is? Could it be some sort of clutch mechanism on the Pentium Chip fan that doesn't kick in for a little while to allow the chip to warm up quicker?

Rod J
16-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Most likely there is a little wear in the fan which creates a little noise when the PC is first started. After a little while the fan warms up and the noise disappears. If your PC is very new though it shouldn't be wear in the fan.

mikebartnz
16-01-2003, 10:11 PM
More likely the fan is about to **** it's self.

Danger
16-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Its all brand new! Like 3 weeks ago.

mikebartnz
16-01-2003, 10:59 PM
There could be a wire touching the fan and once it has reached full speed it holds it off just enough.

roofus
17-01-2003, 07:14 AM
I would go with the first post and say that the fan is very average in the lubrication department. As the fan warms up things expand and the noise disappears.
Open up the case to ensure nothing is around the fan. evaluate then take the fan back to your supplier and get it replaced.
My first computer i bought, the fan must have lasted a month, Sounded like a plane taking off when you started it, then after about 2 mins the sound would generally disappear.