PDA

View Full Version : OT: MPAA pushing for locking controls

agent
16-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Read this article (http://www.msnbc.com/news/859079.asp?cp1=1), then state your opinion about the MPAA wanting built-in locking control on devices, such as DVD recorders and handheld music players.

Personally, I'm against it, because I think they are being punitive and want to have a tight grip of control on anything they don't like. I'm also rather satisfied that Hollywood and Silicon Valley have come to an agreement.

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Im sure - Like pretty much everything else - that they'l have a work around for it within a month or so if that's what ends up happening :)

There are simply too many people out there with too much time on their hands.. so they devote themselves to things like DeCSS or whatever...

BTW - Is it true that there are patches (I know they'd be illegal... Im not wanting one.. just curious) that can avoid the XP Product Activation altogether? I thought it was supposedly "impossible"!?!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

agent
16-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Well, I can tell you this, within hours (something like less than two hours) of Windows XP being released in 2001, there was a path circulation (originated somewhere in Asia) that disabled the Product Activation. It was quickly stomped out I believe, but if you do a thourough search on Google for something like "Windows XP Product Activation crack" your bound to find something, though I'm not sure if they'd work (you know the quality of illegal stuff...).

The crack might've even come out a few hours before Windows XP was released, I can't remember the article.

CYaBro
16-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Hey CS, there is a program for doing just that. It is called Reset5 from memory.

I used it once and it works! I have a PC with no internet connection on it and no phone either (at the beach house) so there was no way to activate it. So instead of bringing the PC home to do it I found this program on the internet.

The copy of Windows XP is an OEM version purchased legally so I didn't see any problem with doing this.

cyberchuck
16-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Hey

It seems like everyone wants to control our lives these days! - Microsoft with it's Pallidium Chip, the MPAA with it's media restriction. Wouldn't/Couldn't that be seen as a violation of rights or something? - your not allowed to market a product unless it's been given the government's approved copy restriction...? - then again, probably not as you can't really fight the government considering they make the rules.

Still - even if that MPAA thing does go ahead, then they can't stop people from using their old DVD and MP3 players, and like Chilling_Silence said - people with spare time on their hands will be developing counter measures like DeCSS...

Yes - that's right - your new XBox 2 from Microsoft not only has the Pallidium abilty - but, it's been certified by the American government too!

CyberChuck

segfault
16-01-2003, 01:53 PM
> Read
> this article (http://www.msnbc.com/news/859079.asp?cp1=1), then state your opinion about the
> MPAA wanting built-in locking control on devices,
> such as DVD recorders and handheld music players.

Thats funny, the RIAA have just backed down on their crusade to implement DRM in digital devices.

I don't think it would do much good anyway, as someone would crack it pretty quickly.