View Full Version : OT: Big Day Out 2003

agent
15-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Is anyone here going to Big Day Out?

Babe Ruth
15-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Agent,

Must be a typical Auckland thing.

We normally just have a day out anytime we like... :-)

Babe.

agent
15-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Indeed.

I for one have my ticket :D

tango
15-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Yeah I'm going!!!

(the bus ride up should be just as fun:P)

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Not me.. However I have friends going to the Parachute Festival (1 guess who), and some relatives and friends that will be working with St. Johns at the Big Day Out...

Concert's really don't interest me... although I wouldn't mind working backstage or doing something like that.. (even if it's only running messages)

CyberChuck

agent
15-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Rotorua, eh?

Be getting up somewhere between 6 and 7am, will you?

Elephant
15-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Every DAY I have a Big Day Out.

Well six days a week anyway.

I get up.... Go to work.... Then come home!!!

Any day I can do that is good.

Means I'm not dead yet. :-)

tango
15-01-2003, 09:41 PM
yeah agent, i'm one of those guys who goes to bed at 2am, gets up at 7. insane i know :P

katt
15-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Whats the big day out ??? ]:)

hehheheee ;)

katt :D

Clueless
15-01-2003, 09:59 PM
3(?)years back, the one with NIN, and some other bands was the last time i went to a BDO.

Na, concerts should be at night, besides, i see alot of bands these days, without actually going out just to see them

.... Clueless makes excuses for his devine apathy

.Clueless

Elephant
15-01-2003, 10:26 PM
I'd walk 500 Km over broken glass and hot coals if Shania Twain was there!!!!

honeylaser
16-01-2003, 08:48 AM
I was going to go, but taking the day off unpaid, and buying the ticket, plus extras like food... it turns out to be an expensive day. There aren't many bands this year that I would kill to see. PJ Harvey would be good, as would Wilco and Pacifier, and not forgetting Concord Dawn and Pitch Blakc. No point wandering around for ages trying to amuse myself in between decent bands, though.

Who's going to Vibes on a Summer Day at Western Springs? Should be good.

tango
16-01-2003, 09:44 AM
> No point
> wandering around for ages trying to amuse myself in
> between decent bands, though.

have you ever been? the atmosphere of the place is awesome. and you find out about loads of other bands you've maybe never even heard of before. there is also loads to do other than watch the bands, eg go on the rides, watch performers, skaters, break dancers etc, get all happy on nitrous oxide, get a body piercing...

honeylaser
16-01-2003, 09:48 AM
> > No point
> > wandering around for ages trying to amuse myself
> in
> > between decent bands, though.
>
>
> have you ever been? the atmosphere of the place is
> awesome. and you find out about loads of other bands
> you've maybe never even heard of before. there is
> also loads to do other than watch the bands, eg go on
> the rides, watch performers, skaters, break dancers
> etc, get all happy on nitrous oxide, get a body
> piercing...

Look, I'm trying to convince myself that its a good thing not to be going. Help me out here, will ya???

And there is something very not good about getting pierced at an event like that. Its on par with getting pierced by gypsy's. I would know. Baaaaad idea.

Clueless
16-01-2003, 09:51 AM
>>get all happy on nitrous oxide, get a body piercing...

Well seems i was in the boroing part, last time i went there was just plain masses of sprawling people and bands....

I liked the hotrod show ministry year, prefered ministry the night before though.

.Clueless

Ferroshus
16-01-2003, 12:48 PM
hey Clueless
Ministry The night b4 at the powerstaion Rocked!!!
Only seen one better
The Butthole Surfers!

Clueless
16-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey Ferroshus,
I'm seriously jealous cause i never saw the Butthole Surfers, but i so wish i had.

I was roadie for Loves Ugly Children who supported Ministry, so i got to see the gig, and the BDO free that year! Yay lucky me!

.Clueless

tones_malones
16-01-2003, 06:14 PM
hmmmm it would be half decent this year aye, the Foo's would go off! did any aucklanders hear who won the Rock or Channel Zs "what you'd do for Foo's" competition!

if pearl jam were goin id be there in a shot, front row! *dreams* ooh eddie *ends dream*

tango
16-01-2003, 06:56 PM
http://www.bigdayout.com/cities_timetables.php

^^^timetables^^^

:)

cyberchuck
16-01-2003, 07:00 PM
> if pearl jam were goin id be there in a shot, front row!
> *dreams* ooh eddie *ends dream*

Well.. Whatever turns you on I guess ;)

Clueless
16-01-2003, 07:09 PM
>Whatever turns you on I guess,

Best live band ever: Toy Love
(I remember Chris Knox before he became a boring old has-been)

Best local live band ever: Toy Love
2nd: some people jamming at a party i went to once.

Best overseas live band ever: Dead Kennedys
2nd: Ministry

Biggest live disapointment ever: NIN@BDO

O well theres my preferances!
.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2003, 08:26 PM
> Look, I'm trying to convince myself that its a good
> thing not to be going. Help me out here, will ya???

The Cops have issued a warning that there is drug use there, and although they discourage it - it still is there....

I heard it was gonna be BIG this year.. But Im working...

Parachute 2003 HERE I COME though - Gonna be good with Toby Mac and Wash!!!

tango
16-01-2003, 08:35 PM
> The Cops have issued a warning that there is drug use
> there, and although they discourage it - it still is
> there....

hahaha yeah...in 2001 (rammstein, limp bizkit, carl cox etc) there was a pretty bad stench about the place. last year it wasn't as bad because it was a bit windier. but the "drug use situation" isn't as bad as it may seem. funniest thing i've ever seen: "No Smoking" sign in the boiler room :P

tones_malones
16-01-2003, 09:33 PM
oi!! cyberchuck!!!! i was referring to Pearl Jam's beautiful music, please REMOVE youd head from the gutter you dirty beast :P

TonesMalones

honeylaser
16-01-2003, 10:09 PM
> Best live band ever: Toy Love
> (I remember Chris Knox before he became a boring old
> has-been)

Oooh.. Chris Knox. He picked me up, hoisted me onto his hip and made me do an inpromptu duet of "Not Given Lightly" in Bar Bodega a few years ago. I prefer the Tall Dwarfs days :D

Baldy
16-01-2003, 11:19 PM
> >Whatever turns you on I guess,
>
> Best live band ever: Toy Love
> (I remember Chris Knox before he became a boring old
> has-been)
>
I was sitting at the pub table with Chris Knox when he devised his plan to form Toy Love. I could write a book about Chris' musical highjinks and most eccentric life style. They were brilliant (if somewhat hazy) days

Baldy
16-01-2003, 11:24 PM
> > No point
> > wandering around for ages trying to amuse myself
> in
> > between decent bands, though.
>
>
> have you ever been? the atmosphere of the place is
> awesome. and you find out about loads of other bands
> you've maybe never even heard of before. there is
> also loads to do other than watch the bands, eg go on
> the rides, watch performers, skaters, break dancers
> etc, get all happy on nitrous oxide, get a body
> piercing...

Them were the days...... Is nitrus anything like amyl nitrate?

Baldy
16-01-2003, 11:28 PM
> hey Clueless
> Ministry The night b4 at the powerstaion Rocked!!!
> Only seen one better
> The Butthole Surfers!

Butthole Surfers.......... strange name that. One of the best live bands I ever saw was Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food days) when there was only four members of the band

Clueless
16-01-2003, 11:31 PM
>Is nitrus anything like amyl nitrate?

Aparently so (so i'm told)

.Clueless

Dyan
17-01-2003, 01:17 AM
OK this was an interesting thread, until the mis/dis-information started regarding drug similarities this is a family site right? So how about conveying some fact amongst the fiction.

Amyl/butyl nitrate (poppers) is a powerful drug that can give you an almighty burst of dizzy energy for a couple of minutes and was first produced in 1857 as a treatment for angina (still in use). The rush kicks in immediately, and for a few moments you'll feel like the bass drum has got inside your head, the lights have been turned up to a zillion watts and your heart is attempting a solo flight. Amyl nitrate evaporates at room temperature and the vapour released causes your veins and arteries to dilate (it's a vaso-dilator and a muscle relaxant) resulting in the blood flowing faster through the heart and the brain. The effect only lasts a few moments and the experiences include flushing of the face, decreased blood pressure, increased pulse, dizziness, relaxation of involuntary muscles especially the blood vessel walls and the anal sphincter. Researchers based at the US National Institute on Drug Abuse have suggested that use of amyl may cause 'sustained alterations to the human immune system', and may be connected to the development of cancers such as Karposi's Sarcoma. Some people react differently to amyl and suffer pounding headaches, dizziness and a flushed face, or feel like they're starring in 'Scanners'. There's more, so do some research or ask the right questions.

N2O, or Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a weak anaesthetic gas that has been in use since the late 18th century. Use has extended beyond the surgical to include recreational purposes. Most people have experienced nitrous in the context of dentistry. Nitrous is also used in the dairy industry as a mixing and foaming agent as it is non-flammable, bacteriostatic (stops bacteria from growing) and leaves no taste or odour. Nitrous is also used in auto racing to speed engines and in diving to prepare divers for nitrous-like effects. When inhaled, nitrous produces a variety of physical effects including disorientation, fixated vision, throbbing or pulsating auditory hallucinations, similarly pulsating visual hallucinations, increased pain threshold and deeper mental connections. Physiological effects last approximately a minute for a lungful of nitrous and then mainly dissipate. Some residual effects may last up to several minutes later. It can by psychologically addictive, is cheap and readily available at your favourite 'head' shop and interferes with the body's absorption of B12 when used excessively. Remember the little gas cylinders for cream 'bombs' - same thing. Tanks of the stuff are available for a good ol' sniff at 'nitrous' parties.

cyberchuck
17-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Wow...
I learnt more from Dyan then I did from Health in school.. then again I didn't go to health in school this year due to other commitments..

About 2 years ago in Health, I think all we learnt was that out lives are like a 4 legged chair - with each of the legs being something like emotions, spirituality, mentality and stuff like that, and if one part goes, then the whole thing soon crumbles... - and that's supposedly part of government curriculum.
Although mildly interesting, it still doesn't teach youths about the risks of drugs/etc that they face.

But still, if more people like Dyan were teaching Health in secondary schools then I'd have to say that there would be a whole lot more awareness of drugs and their possible effects in teenagers - probably wouldn't stop some of them, but the point it's more informative then what most teachers will give you.

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
17-01-2003, 07:41 AM
> oi!! cyberchuck!!!! i was referring to Pearl Jam's beautiful music,
> please REMOVE youd head from the gutter you dirty beast :p

*Phew* - Well atleast it brought out some interesting experiences from other members...
*tried to lift himself outta the gutter :D*

crozier
17-01-2003, 08:25 AM
There's a big event in Wellington this weekend. The Teddy Bears Picinic AFAIK the Cookie Bear and the Aunties with be there again. Lot's of kids getting high on sugar and up-chucking (sorry cyberchuck) after a go on the bouncy castle.

So we'll have to give the Lesser Day Out a miss :D :D :D :D :D

On a more serious note, it really must be remembered that ANY substance that alters your mind should be treated with extreme caution. That include whatever made the stench 2 years ago. Contrary to propaganda by cannibis enthusiasts, it's been proves to cause all sorts of physical and mental problems.

If you're going, enjoy yourself and stay safe!

Clueless
17-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Crozier,

Your point is valid. Hopefully it does not distract people from being aware what the 2 most damaging and lethal drugs in NZ are. No not crack or herion, but plain old alcohol and tabbaco...

These 2 provide 98% of the drug related deaths in our society, just cause they are legal does not stop them from being "drugs" and sadly they are viewed as being less dirty than all that nasty illegal stuff.

At the BDO they have tents set up for the specific purpose of dishing out the killer drug alcohol, which they sell as an expensive intoxicating drink called "beer" which is billed as a refreshing drink.

BTW... I haven't drunk alcohol for a few years now. My alcoholism got to the point where if i had one i would have 20 and make a real problem for myself and others. Alcohol is a dangerous and addictive drug too.

So whatever your vices, whoever you are, and wherever you go, take care out there.

Those going to the BDO, I assume your main reason for going will be to enjoy the bands and the atmosphere. Enjoy

.Clueless

Susan B
17-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Very interesting stuff Dyan. :-)

I didn't know that Nitrous Oxide was used for recreational purposes. The stuff is a godsend for those later stages of labour when one is stuck on a plateau. My experience with it was "interesting" to say the least. :O :D
Shudders at the memories

Chilling_Silence
17-01-2003, 09:11 AM
/Me Agrees - Well said :)

cyberchuck
17-01-2003, 09:14 AM
> There's a big event in Wellington this weekend. The Teddy Bears Picinic
> AFAIK the Cookie Bear and the Aunties with be there again. Lot's of
> kids getting high on sugar and up-chucking (sorry cyberchuck) after
> ago on the bouncy castle.

Yeah! - on a trip to America, in knottsberry farm (which is actually an amusement park in San Diago or somewhere like that) anyway, because I was young and ignorant (now I'm just an ignorant teenager) I decided to have Icecream for breakfast (was really good), anyway my first ride was a roller-coaster! - yeah.. well as my 5 year old stomach didn't really mix ice-cream and defeating the forces of gravity too well, I ended up leaving a little mess on the ground! :D

CyberChuck

Clueless
17-01-2003, 09:19 AM
CC,
> I ended up leaving a little mess on the ground!

Well now that your a tad older, i see you remember the experiance!

I often wonder what makes people choose thier names

.Clueless

cyberchuck
17-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Clueless
I never thought that someone would associate my name with my experience almost 10 minutes ago! - although it does make sense (sorta)!

Anyway, my name was given to me by a friend around 2 years ago.. WoodChuck and CyberChuck - their cousin's dontchano!

CyberChuck

Dyan
17-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Ditto on the shudder, Susan B. You can suck on that stuff all you like at a time like that - takes the 'edge off slightly eh? My partner even had a suck on the ol' nitrous mask at the time and I recall having to wrench the mask out of his hand because I needed it more... good lawd!!

Chilling_Silence
17-01-2003, 11:53 AM
>
> I often wonder what makes people choose thier names
>
> .Clueless
>

I dont know Clueless... I honestly dont know ;-)

Remind me why you changed your Pf1 user name at your first 1K mark again?! ;-)

crozier
17-01-2003, 11:59 AM
>Anyway, my name was given to me by a friend around 2 years ago.. WoodChuck and CyberChuck - their cousin's dontchano!

Sort of like: H ow much cyber could a cyberchuck chuck chuck if a cyberchuck could chuck cyber? sortafing?

Dylan
17-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Went to the big day out last year.

They had good bands then, Drowning Pool, System of a Down (got pi$$ed off and left after there second song), Prodigy, Basement Jaxx, Blind Spott.

Im going to save my money this year round.

crozier
17-01-2003, 12:14 PM
>They had good bands then, Drowning Pool, System of a Down (got pi$$ed off and left after there second song), Prodigy, Basement Jaxx, Blind Spott.

Ya know Dylan, you could have said disgruntled, bored, fedup, disenchanted, dissatisfied, disillusioned or any one of dozens of words to get your point across.

Clueless
17-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Dyan.. I see your posting at 1:30am.. Welcome to the PF1 insomnia club.
Pity you weren't over here so we could be insomniacs together!

Anyway, just incase anyone puts 2+2 together and gets 5 I'd just like to point out that I was not the "your partner" who grabbed the nitrous mask. That was well before my time!

*Watching this thead disapear into the "what topic" dept

.Clueless

Baldy
17-01-2003, 01:34 PM
> Very interesting stuff Dyan. :-)
>
> I didn't know that Nitrous Oxide was used for
> recreational purposes. The stuff is a godsend for
> those later stages of labour when one is stuck on a
> plateau. My experience with it was "interesting" to
> say the least. :O :D
> Shudders at the memories

My ex thought the epidural was the greatest medical innovation during her childbirth Susan

Clueless
17-01-2003, 06:34 PM
>Remind me why you changed your Pf1 user name at your first 1K mark again?!

Well Chill, 2 reasons. One is that there was someone using a variant of my name, and no, i didn't like that. The other was that i just got my SuSE box, it was a brave new world, and i felt 100% clueless, so the Linux posts started coming under that name. When C.W. got the first K i decided to just use the one name.... and Clueless is kinda fun.

.Clueless

Lemony
17-01-2003, 07:02 PM
If a woodchuck is a groundhog, then what is a cyberchuck?

Clueless
17-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Well i just got a call from the BDO..
(isn't technology wonderful)
And it sounds like a fun time is to be had for those who could be bothered to go.

yay fun times!!

.Clueless

Susan B
17-01-2003, 09:12 PM
> You can suck on that stuff all you like at a time like that

Well that's what I thought... until they took the hose off the gas bottles when I wouldn't hand the mask back. :D

> My ex thought the epidural was the greatest medical innovation during her childbirth Susan

It sure is, especially after 22 hours and no progress. Only needed gas for No. 2 as he wasn't as stubborn as his sister. :p

Thinks: how did this get so wildly off topic? :O

Clueless
17-01-2003, 09:36 PM
>Thinks: how did this get so wildly off topic?

Thinks it was you and Dyan that took the topic into N2O/childbirth experiances....

Baldy
17-01-2003, 09:42 PM
> > You can suck on that stuff all you like at a time
> like that
>
> Well that's what I thought... until they took the
> hose off the gas bottles when I wouldn't hand the
> mask back. :D
>
>
> > My ex thought the epidural was the greatest medical
> innovation during her childbirth Susan
>
> It sure is, especially after 22 hours and no
> progress. Only needed gas for No. 2 as he wasn't as
> stubborn as his sister. :p
>
> Thinks: how did this get so wildly off topic?
> :O

Yes, I've seen it all now. Talking about childbirth on PressF1. The most OT of the OT subjects so far LOL

Clueless
17-01-2003, 09:43 PM
mind you ... who needs fixed topic on a OT post?

.Clueless

agent
18-01-2003, 02:58 PM
While I turn my back on computers and the internet for 24 hours to get sleep and go to BDO, you guys start talking about drugs and childbirth! Isn't PF1 a wonderful source of education? :D

Anyhow, might as well say this while we're so far off any topic:
If it was legal, I probably would've killed those goddamn Durex promotional people dressed up like the people from their TV ad during the soccer World Cup... :P but I ended up glaring harshly at them instead :D

And then there were the silly people who were having photos taken with the promotional people, who were holding signs reading "Please Come Again".

And the total stranger who said to me "some chics probably gonna slap you coz she thinks she's got nuts" in remark to the back of my shirt which read "Evolve Some Balls". Fortunately, no such thing occured.

And of course, the probably circuit overload during QOTSA playing, which ended with them playing again at 11pm, and the whole sound system being set up for the Foo Fighters performance (which was the best one of course), which made Pacifier sound not-so good :(

Clueless
18-01-2003, 03:08 PM
>and the whole sound system being set up for the Foo Fighters performance (which was the best one of course), which made Pacifier sound not-so good

Did they try that excuse or did you make that up?

Sad fact: Many artists artistic life if much shorter than their commercail one.
Shithard/Pacifier sucked in CHCH too, not that i worked on that one, but none of the crew had much possitive to say. The time for them to bow out gracefully has long since been.

.Clueless

agent
18-01-2003, 03:22 PM
I meant that the sound system had been fine tuned (during the sound checks before BDO started) so that Foo Fighters sounded excellent... of course, this meant that Pacifier didn't sound that good, because the sound system wasn't fine tuned for their performance.

They didn't tell us this, but my dad guessed it rather, which is probably true.

And the reason that a circuit breaker was tripped during the QOTSA performance was because they'd been continuously turning the volume up with each new band, which ended with QOTSA songs being cut quiet half the time, swearing from the band when it came back on, and an announcement that they would play again.

Lemony
18-01-2003, 03:32 PM
And to take the topic away from the topic away from the topic - Don't forget Vibes on a Summers Day at Western Springs on Waitangi Day - (with that very classy Mr Scruff) a big line up for house, hip-hop, jazz funk, reggae, lounge, dub and dance enthusiasts, and with less hype than BDO but a better one-day gig, but that's just my opinion.

Clueless
18-01-2003, 03:35 PM
BDO having power problems again... well what else is new, i thought they would have worked out that one by now...

>of course, this meant that Pacifier didn't sound that good, because the sound system wasn't fine tuned for their performance.

Na... a poor excuse, sorry but in the sound checks you make sure that things sound good, without any "problems", of course as soon as you introduce the crowd the room accoustix even in open air change dramaticly. Any sound engineer worth his/her salt can work around that, just as the foofighters sound people obviously could.

Ya just EQ the monitors for the flatest possible responce to avoid feedback, the front to sound right (see above) and mix what you got accordingly. A good engineer can walk in to a well setup system, and work wonders for there band and walk away (I Do)

.Clueless

agent
18-01-2003, 03:40 PM
According to http://www.vibes.net.au, it's an 18+ event, so I'll put that down to alochol being sold. If it's nudity, there was some at the Lilypad at BDO. There was also alcohol sold at BDO, but you had to show you were above 18 with ID, get a wristband, and then get alcohol. Swearing? I hear it at school, and it was at BDO too.

Baldy
18-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Excellent point Chris.

Probably in the old days it was a legit excuse, but sound technologies have come a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way since then.

agent
18-01-2003, 03:43 PM
It took these engineers a few minutes to figure out what went wrong before someone realised they'd overloaded the circuit... and then it happened two more times :^O

Clueless
18-01-2003, 03:59 PM
But thats the sparkies fault...

>It took these engineers a few minutes to figure out what went wrong before someone realised they'd overloaded the circuit... and then it happened two more times

No seriously, either the sound companies failed to work out just what their gear could pull, or the sparkies failed to provide the enough (usualy 32amp 3 phase) circuits to run the shows sound system(s). There are times when budget limitations leave us running the entire PA AND lites of a single 3phase plug, (yes i've done it) and crossing our fingers, but at the scale of the BDO there should be no excuse for that sort of carry on.

.Clueless

Susan B
18-01-2003, 06:04 PM
> Yes, I've seen it all now. Talking about childbirth on PressF1. The most OT of the OT subjects so far LOL

There's always a first time... and I like setting trends. :p

> While I turn my back on computers and the internet for 24 hours to get sleep and go to BDO, you guys start talking about drugs and childbirth! Isn't PF1 a wonderful source of education?

It sure is!! :D

So Agent, did you enjoy yourself or not?? It sounds like it was "interesting". :p :D

Elephant
18-01-2003, 06:36 PM
>Ya know Dylan, you could have said disgruntled, bored, fedup, >disenchanted, dissatisfied, disillusioned or any one of dozens of words >to get your point across.

So if I said, "I was gruntled." What you think!! :-)

agent
18-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Enjoy myself? Hell yes! :D

And on the other hand, if my dad and sister hadn't been there (yes, that's right! I only managed to go because I had a parent with me - I'm too young to go by myself by a month {remembers sister complaining about that so much before she found out she could go}), I would've been down in that 'D' area (basically, a D shaped mosh pit area) moshing away - providing that your definition of moshing does not involve being on the giving or receiving end of a good trampling and only means "jumping up and down screaming words out in a hoarse voice that will only get worse as the day goes on ]:) ;\

Next year (if the line up is good) I might go of course

And ain't I lucky - both my parents have suffered minor hearing damage from listening to loud music either from concerts or through headphones, and I didn't notice anything at all from yesterday :D

Ferroshus
21-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey Clueless,
Iwas at Ministry both nights as well!
I used to roadie for the Picasso's so we've probably met. lol

Clueless
21-01-2003, 02:36 PM
>so we've probably met. lol

Ferroshus, we probably have... these 2 lumps of small rock we live make life like that

:D
.Clueless