PDA

View Full Version : Windows .NET Server 2003 Standard

agent
15-01-2003, 02:30 PM
When it comes out, is there anyone who has "contacts" and could get Cyberchuck this at reduced price?

Also, the Agreement in the Customer Preview Program says that you can install the OS up to ten times, and the trial lasts for 360 days. Does anyone know if this allows you to install it on the same computer ten times (and thereby get 3600 days of use from the one trial)?

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Yup, That's what I figured.. There's only one way to find out :-)

Join the Beta Team (If you havent already tried out this 'Excellent to be' server OS) and try it out.

It doesnt need a super speedy machine, anything 200Mhz with 128MB RAM upwards should be sweet!

honeylaser
15-01-2003, 02:46 PM
> When it comes out, is there anyone who has "contacts"
> and could get Cyberchuck this at reduced price?

I can, if you like. No pricing as yet though, of course - but feel free to contact me close to the release date. PF1 username at hot mail dot com.

> Also, the Agreement in the Customer Preview Program
> says that you can install the OS up to ten times, and
> the trial lasts for 360 days. Does anyone know if
> this allows you to install it on the same computer
> ten times (and thereby get 3600 days of use from the
> one trial)?

I'd say you could install it on the same machine 10 times. Isn't that normally the story with CPP's? Lets you load it, then trash it... Load it, then trash it. Could be wrong though. Why not call MSS?

P.S I believe they dropped the .Net, so it's just Windows Server 2003

agent
15-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Righto, thanks guys :D

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Jeez...
I spend a day having a fun programming experience only to find out I've been signed up for MS .NET Server 2003 Standard! - hey Honeylaser - do you think you could get me Academic Pricing for that?? - I know that MS haven't yet done Student Discounts for their Server family, but there's never been a better time to start right?

Also, Don't expect too much agent. I have to save my pennie's first.. (already got enough for an ATX case, and 1/2 of what I need for a reasonable motherboard and processor)

CyberChuck

agent
15-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Woopdeedo.

You could always consult Microsoft on giving it to you at extremely reduced price. Ask them if they'd be willing to sell it to you cheaply on some conditions like
a) It is only used on your server (kind of obvious)
b) The website advertises it is hosted on Microsoft .Net Server
c) They can withdraw it at any time (might satisfy them)

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Yippee

Well as enticing as that sounds - giving Microsoft the possibility to take my server software off me (which will leave me where I started) doesn't really seem to appeal that much.
Also, the prospect of "consulting" Microsoft doesn't really appeal to me either.
While I'm at it why not include .NET Exchange Server and IIS 6 - there you go - a stand-alone internet server. While I'm at it, why not get another copy and throw that on another machine to use a redundant/backup server should the first ever go hay-wire or get a BSOD?

CyberChuck

agent
15-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Note: XP and later, as far as I know, cannot get blue screens. I think they took those out and replaced them with error reporting?

Now onto something so blindingly obvious you'll be kicking yourself:

Server versions of Windows don't need IIS to be installed separately - it's included.
And why bother getting Exchange Server when a freeware mail server can do the same job. And one of the versions of .NET Server comes with a mail server anyway, I think.

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 05:45 PM
It'll be the Advanced or DataCenter .NET Server that has Exchange installed.. I very much doubt MS will include Exchange with their standard version (at my academic pricing :p)

XP and later have the ability to do error reporting - the last thing I want is for me to leave the servers overnight, come back in the morning and find that they want to phone home saying how badly I treat them. You can even get the machines to reset when they undergo BSOD's - which is why most people get annoyed at their machine constantly resetting.. - another thing why a redundant server would be good - if one goes down, the other can continue the job.. that's unless the router goes down

Don't forget 50% of some country (England or something) couldn't tell the difference between a BSOD and a virus

CyberChuck

Marty2001
15-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Windows 2003 RC2 has 360 days OR when it is commercially released which is supposed to be April 2003.
They wouldn't tell you if there are any built in bombs, but windows update and service packs usually do not load once it is commercially released - so you're stuck with an unpatched server.
There should be no academic market as it is intended for business use.
If you like reformatting after 360 days then you'll love it

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Either that or Ghost it?
I wonder what would happen if you went to windowsupdate with the .NET Server - whether it would say that you don't have a MS Windows Product, and here's how you buy them, or if MS would say "Sorry - we do not offer support for our Beta Testing Products" - that's something to think about!

CyberChuck

kiwistag
20-01-2003, 08:35 PM
I've had a quick play with the .NET Server beta (4 or so) and it is very nice but a PIII and at LEAST 256MB RAM would be best.

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Sorry.. Only RC2 is out... And yes, I love it, SOO FAST!

Im currently running it on a 300Mhz P2 with 256MB RAM and it runs like a dream!

I've also run it on a P233Mhz with 128MB RAM and it still manbages to cope with a ton of browser windows, WinAmp 2.81, Outlook Express and a few Explorer windows!!

Cant wait for the Desktop-End OS!

Big John
20-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Tried out for the beta but like anything from MS I was ignored. Wanted to beta Office 11 as well but nothing

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2003, 09:34 PM
I had a friend who just got authorized to do beta for .NET - having signed up about 5-6 weeks ago, he just got permissions!

.NET Is worth it.. Provided you dont mind the large download times ;-)

sc0ut
20-01-2003, 09:46 PM
my work has had it for 3-4 weeks now

its pritty cool but we can't stuff around on it too much cos EVERYTHING is recorded to Microsoft (or someone)

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2003, 10:02 PM
It is?!

Dont think mine is....

cyberchuck
21-01-2003, 07:39 AM
I'd reccomend using Windows .NET Server due to the fact that Microsoft's next OS will most likely require it's Pallidium chip - there's something to think about :D