PDA

View Full Version : OT: Remote/wireless door chimes

John H
15-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Sorry to post something off topic... Hope someone out there in cyberspace can point me in the right direction...

I am having an office built on the back section to free up the bedroom I have used for the past ten years. The patter of tiny grandfeet plus assorted in law additions to the family are making space a premium in the house.

I want to be able to install a door bell on the front door that will sound in the house and in the office when it is built. If it is wired, it would be good to co-ordinate installation of the line with the power and phone connections to reduce the number of trenches across the lawn/garden.

However, wireless would be even better, especially if it was battery powered - presumably I could install that myself and save the sparky costs... plus cables... Even if it was wired into the mains it may be cheaper than cabling.

Does anyone have:
a. anthing like this?
b. any advice about suppliers? (Yellow Pages no help thus far)
c. any ideas about the range for a wireless system?
d. any recommendations for brands.

Thanks for any guidance.

John

crozier
15-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Dick Smiths, http://www.dse.co.nz have a wireless, battery operated door bell.

John H
15-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Argghhh. Bangs head on keyboard.

I use DSE all the time, and never gave them a thought for this. Strewth. I have clearly eaten too much food out of aluminium pots over the years.

Thanks for putting my head on the right way round, crozier.

John

crozier
15-01-2003, 02:16 PM
>Argghhh. Bangs head on keyboard.

While you're there you might want to replace the keyboard you just broke ;)

Clueless
15-01-2003, 02:38 PM
When you bury your phone cable it will enevitably be 2 pair, You will have an additional cable pair free, unless you are running 2 phone lines the other one can be used for the door bell.

What i remember of your house from when Dyan and I visited, the wires are going in pretty much the same place.. wireless devices are fine till the neighbour gets the same one :)

.Clueless

John H
15-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks both. I went down to Tricky Dicky and bought one of the wireless jobbies (keyboard only metaphorically damaged...).

Sadly, even though it is supposed to have a longer range than the actual distance involved, it doesn't.

As you may remember from the house, Chris, the front door is kind of around the corner from the drive (if you get what I mean). The thing works all along the drive, but as soon as you turn the corner to the front door, nothing...

So your idea about using the spare pair on the tele cable may be the go. I am on ADSL, so everything ('puter, phone, and fax) operates through the one pair I guess. I assume you can just put a mulitple adapter plug in the wall outlet, and hang a filter off it for the phone and fax, and straight through for the adsl modem?

Thanks for the advice.

John

Clueless
15-01-2003, 04:19 PM
I didn't realise you were on ADSL, not that should make much difference though, so long as you keep your wiring very tidy, avoid unneed joins etc.
I am assuming that you will be able to run a cable underground from house to garage(sorry er.. rear office), and go directly to the office jackpoint which would be close to the start of the internal phone wiring, and then sneak a pair somehow off to the general direct of the doorpush.. We of course only saw the front of the house, so theres alot of assumption as to how easy this would be.

I'm going to shut up at this point and let the ADSL experts take over.. I'm on cable and have very little experiance with ADSL.
I suggest that unless you are 100% sure you are never going to have internet connected computers in other parts of the house, now is the perfect time to run cat 5 network cable between buildings.

.Clueless

John H
15-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Erk - thanks; I hadn't thought about that (the network cable).

I hope I will continue to only have a laptop and main pc - I passed my back up box to the kids at Aoraki when their PCDirect box (that cost them a dozen Monteiths!) packed a sad. Couldn't leave the kids isolated now they have developed a taste for extensive emailing, so it was a small sacrifice!

I won't replace it now I have the laptop - PC and laptop are automatically synchronised daily and I also cut CD backups for off site storage.

I was assuming that a wireless network would work between the laptop and PC for when I (or Her Indoors) want to use the laptop in the house... Still, cabling might be cheaper because I already have the switch and ADSL modem and the two are already networked successfully. It would only be the cost of laying the cable.

Thanks for the idea.

John

Clueless
15-01-2003, 05:20 PM
>(the network cable).
Data world (or some name like that) in Moorhouse Ave is the only place in CHCH that sells cat5 cable designed to be buried. Now that cat5 low 100meg transfer rate is sterting to be considered old hat, you might even be able to strike a deal on the 25ish metre roll thay've had in the back for over a year!

.Clueless

John H
15-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Wicked. I know where they are - where AID Computers used to be. Thanks

John