PDA

View Full Version : Domain Networking Expertise Please

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Im running a Win2K System and trying to connect it to a domain.

It comes up with the following error:

The user could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occured:
The credentials supplied conflict with and existing set of credentials.

The user has been able to connect before.. The system has simply had a format (HDD crash) and is now back to normal - apart from the connection to the domain!

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

agent
15-01-2003, 01:48 PM
By "credentials" it might mean validation (was there a system to validate users logging on before aside from your password?), but I think it might be that your user privileges on the local computer (the one you're trying to log on to the domain from) don't match those specified for your user profile on the server. If that sounds right, either change your user privilege or contact the system administrator to change/find out your privilege level.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I am the system administrator and I've got admin privilages for this person right the way through :)

agent
15-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Reset these "credentials" on the domain server?

I'd imagine the credentials are the network-equivalent of an ID card to prove you are you.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 02:29 PM
errrr.. yep, tried with no luck!

deleted the user and made a new one...

Im gonna try a format...

agent
15-01-2003, 02:34 PM
And to think a format was what caused this... :D

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey

A few things:
1 - Microsoft Suport (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B197987) - great isn't it?
2 - Don't some Domain Servers get the Network Cards Adaptor address or something for reference (or something like that) - so when settings change with the NIC, or it get's reinstalled and somehow ends up with a new Adaptor Address it upsets the server?

CyberChuck

agent
15-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Bah, who needs a some smartarse technician blabbing on about how they discovered the problem when you can do it the classic NZ way - DIY!

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Not any smartarse technician... One that's on Bill Gates Payroll! :D - that's a rare privilage for most people....

Also [quoting from a PCWorld article]The Microsoft Parking Warden who developed the IIS Server[End Quote] - maybe it was the Janitor who developed the 2k server? - doesn't leave much hope for me and .NET then

CyberChuck

Marty2001
15-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Set the local administrator account to the same password as the Domain server. The join the domain and type in the administrator username and password to join.
If that doesn't work try removing the PC from the server in Active Directory to stop conflicts there if it is a domain controller.
You can also rename the PC trying to connect to the domain and try again.
Otherwise, create a new user and log in and try to join the domain logged on as that user and type in the domain administrator name and password when asked when joining.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys - None of it worked.. In the end, I had to format it.

Exactly the same as last time, only this time it worked first pop!

Weird?!

Thanks though :-)