PDA

View Full Version : Photo Editing

csinclair83
15-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi...
I'm dooing something weird here...
instead of scanning photos...i am taking photos of photos...due to having no scanner.,..and honestly it wouldnt do me good getitng one...only wish i had it every now and then which is prolly only once a month or 2...this is the first time i've really needed one for like 6-8 months...
Anyway...i taking photos of photos with my digital camera...and putting them on the computer...but...for some weird reason...it comes up slightly dark...i thought it was coz i doing it inside.....so i went outside and tried..,.and it was lile alot better :-D but...the weather here doesnt permit me to do it today...too windy and its gonna rain...ohh the joys of summer...
So is there a way of "adjusting" it on the computer? I am using winxphome and i have photoshop 6 installed...but i also have these other programs that came with the camera cd...havent used them yet...they are.....Ulead Photo express 4.0 Custom Edition, and Ulead Photo Explorer 6.0 and Ulead Cool 360 (i used this and its a program that makes paranoma ceiws like 360 veiws of stuff)
mmmm I hope someone can help :D
And b4 anyone asks..my cam doesnt adjust stuff like that...
Chris

agent
15-01-2003, 10:55 AM
From the top of my memory, the best you could do is turn the lights on inside while doing that, or adjusting the contrast level in one of your programs. I wouldn't recommend adjusting the gamma or brightness, as these make the picture whiter/blacker. Contrast makes the colours stand out more (I think?), but what it definitely does is make a dark photo look lighter (and better :D).

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah... The easiest way is if you've got MS Photo editor (Comes with MS office)

There's a feature in there to Lighten up the image.. Should be able to do it in paint though come to think of it...

Look for "Gamma correction" or something in the options in the software you've already got if you dont have MS Photo Editor :)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Biggles
15-01-2003, 11:38 AM
If you've got Photoshop 6 then you've got the best photo editor on the market - don't waste your time with anything else.

You can adjust the image several ways with Photoshop. Load your image and go to the Image menu, then Adjust. Lots of options here.

A quick way is right at the bottom of the list : Variations The variations function lets you make subtle or coarse adjustments to colours and lightness/darkness.

A better option is gGamma correction. Go to the Curves function. You can adjust the gamma values by puling the line on the graph all over the place. For simple lightening up of dark pics pulling the line up a bit in the middle to make a gentle curve works very well. Try it and see.

You can also use the Levels option, and of course the Brightness/Contrast option, all found from the Adjust menu.

If you want to get really complicated you can start using new layers and applying adjustments to a layer, then reducing it's opacity so that a lower layer shows through. Hours of fun. You can also create Adjustment Layers - these are special layers that "sit" on top of an image layer but do not permantly affect the layers below. So you can make any adjustments using the adjustment layers and the underlying image doesn't get mucked up. Highly recommend you investigate using layers - its a really powerful tool for image adjustment in Potoshop.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Dont forget they've got an update out.. 6.01 which has a lot of fixes for it AFAIK

csinclair83
15-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Update for photoshop 6? is it free..like i can update it for free :D and on the topic of photoshop...can i use like plug ins that have been made for photoshop 5? as i just got given a couple cds from a friend that came from january 2002 APC magazine...

csinclair83
15-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Update for photoshop 6? is it free..like i can update it for free :D and on the topic of photoshop...can i use like plug ins that have been made for photoshop 5? as i just got given a couple cds from a friend that came from january 2002 APC magazine...

and HOW can i do the plug ins..like how do i install them?

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes yes yes, Free from the Adobe.com site.

Its about 7 megs big if memory serves me correctly.

The plugins may work, but Im not 100% on that sorry...

csinclair83
15-01-2003, 02:06 PM
sorry that message came out twice...
mmm
7 megs..better start downloading now...on 56k and have 2 hours on the net :D

i'll check out that website as well to see if theres nefing about plug ins..

Also Bruce..thanks for the comments on how to brighten the picture...i used the curves..and it came out exactly the way the photo is :d perfect :D