PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know a source of quality 2nd hand laptops in AK?

Billy T
15-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi Team

Does anybody know of a source of ex-lease or other economically priced portables in Auckland? I need to get myself a laptop with some urgency to take overseas to do a PowerPoint presentation and for ongoing use on my return. My finances don't allow me to buy new and I have an aversion to finance.

My performance requirements are modest but it needs at least a 12 or 13" TFT screen, 128MB RAM, 10-20GB HDD, W98 or W2K OS, CD rom, lan & modem, all of which is pretty standard stuff and nothing special is needed in the way of sound. I'd prefer a Toshiba to keep my Libretto company but Compaq, IBM or other recognised and well supported brand would be acceptable. A travel bag is essential.

The only software needed is the OS but Word 2000 (including PowerPoint) would be nice to save me loading it.

I want to get something not much more than 12 months old and a good battery is essential. A flogged out corporate warrior cast-off would not feature very high on my short list.

Private sales are OK with me and it's a cash deal, but some sort of guarantee or support is necessary if the installation is a bit jaded as I have no experience in setting up or rejuvenating laptops and no time to learn. I need to be ready to go by mid-March but the sooner I get one the better as I have to learn PowerPoint as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 10:44 AM
I would suggest you pop into the Te Atatu Cyber Cafe (Tell them Joe sent ya).

I used to work there before IDG. They're a Compaq Factory shop and offer warranties on them all...

the Address is
546 Te Atatu Road
Te Atatu
Auckland

They're two ladies by the name of Glenda and Tina, both will me msot happy to help you out :)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 10:52 AM
BTW - They usually can get them for you in around a week :) Long time to learn powerpoint before March!

honeylaser
15-01-2003, 11:19 AM
TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz), of course.
Portables Plus Clearance Shop (http://www.ezybid.co.nz/default.cfm)
NZ Computer Sales (http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz), speak to Toko
Atlas (http://www.atlascomputing.co.nz/atlasexleaselap.htm)

Billy T
15-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Bump :D

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 01:38 PM
You can phone Xzact (546B Te Atatu Road) on 834 8087 :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Trade & Exchange might have something over there.

As you might know, the prices of many laptops are falling very fast at its current rate. You could easily get a good and "affordable" one nowdays for just over $2000. And you could always take the finance option with the shops. That way, you will get the assistance backed by the manufactures warranties etc.

Plus, if you're planning on using it on a long term, then don't spend too much on it, as you know the computer market is moving very very fast.

While I'm on the topic, does anyone have a site such as PriceSpy that compares notebooks/laptops. I thought of it some time ago, perhaps we should suggest this to the makers of PriceSpy!

Hope you find some treasures, :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Just quickly browsing over TE, I can see some quite good deals. Theres Dell, Hp, Acer, etc. I believe it really comes down to the point where you want to limit your spending to.

http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz/TEProject/jsp/viewad/ad_single.jsp?adID=926151 looks quite good!

Enjoy your hunt,

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Xzact offer Finance :)

Billy T
15-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Team

I think I have found something. I have an option on a Toshiba Portege 3490CT for $1800:

The specifications are:
Processor:Mobile Pentium-III 700 MHz
Memory:256 MB SDRAM Cache:256 k
HDD:20 GB, Ultra DMA Supported
Screen:11.3" Active Matrix, Video:16M @ 1024x768
Video Chip:S3 Savage IX 128 bit accelerator, VRAM, 8 MB
Ext.Monitor:16M @ 1024x768
CD-Rom:24x External CDROM, USB Floppy Drive

Pointer:Track Point, Modem:56k, Integrated,
PC Cards 2 Type II, Card Bus ready
I/O Ports:Ethernet 10/100, Serial, Parallel, Fast Infra Red, PS/2, USB

Software: Windows 2000 professional, Recovery CDs, Toshiba Utilities
Batteries provided:Two Li-Ion (Slim and Heavy)
Power Adapter, All Manuals, Carrybag

Ultraslim Dimensions:262x231x20 mm
Weight:1.5 kg

Do I jump or do I run?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

Billy T
15-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Bump again :D

I would appreciate some expert advice as to whether this is a good deal or not. My knowledge of laptops and pricing is lamentable. :8}

Thanks to all who offered their advice earlier in this thread. It started me off on the right track.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-01-2003, 08:56 PM
From my point of view, I can definately not recommend this. You could get much much more than this.

As a suggestion check out http://www.megacomputer.co.nz, this is definately not the cheapest but is something to look to.

godfather
15-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Billy, there are 2 rules when buying a laptop for travelling with.

Rule no 1- Weight (lack of)
Rule No 2 - See rule 1

I speak from experience, as I disregarded this advice and bought on price. There is a large price premium for lightness, and any comparison must take this into account. Its all very well co compare other features but they count for little when you lug it round the country or the world.

I pack mine into checked luggage internationally now, but it really is suffering for the treatment.

Airlines are enforcing the 5 kg hand luggage limit.

So when comparing prices only compare equivalent weights, see how that looks. The Portege is light. Very light.

Billy T
15-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks God

It was the light weight that attracted me, that and the fact that unwanted accessories like the FDD and the CDR could be left behind to keep travelling weight down. I used to carry a Compaq Contura Aero 4/33 8" sub-notebook around and although it only weighd 2.5kg it felt like ten times that at the end of a days travel.

Do I deduce from your response that the quality and weight are OK but the price is nothing special? I haven't looked at it yet but the impression I get is that it has had little if any use.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Steve_L
16-01-2003, 07:35 AM
Hello Billy,

My wife needed a laptop for university and business use, and we debated and fretted about what to do, just last month. After posting here on PF1, we went for a new laptop that was only a few hundred more than decent second hand ones. And a decent warranty that 2nd hand ones will not have. In fact, we saved around$800 off the Noel Lemming price, on a Compaq Presario 901, AMD 1500XP, 256 RAM, and even a $50 worth of vouchers - found this bargain at Aquila Technology in Lower Hutt (never went there, ordered over phone and got it the next day). They are at: http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/index2.htm

Anyway, it is best to do a thorough search on the Net to compare prices. I used the back adverts in PC World to get started.

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2003, 08:54 AM
What about JDI?
JDI.co.nz should be their online addy :)

-=JM=-
16-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Have a look at http://www.computerdisposals.co.nz and http://www.megabytestores.co.nz

Billy T
16-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Hi Team

I have found and purchased my preferred solution, a Toshiba Portege as specified earlier in this thread which met my features, performance and price criteria. Nett cost to me was $1600 (I get the GST back) and it even came with a spare US power cord for my trip to the States. Condition is good and it is running a clean instal of W2K. A PIII 700 is plenty fast enough for my work (remember, Old Faithful is a P166 and she is still comfortably meeting my needs for everything except larger graphics files!)

Thanks to all who offered advice, and to those who suggested finance options, sorry but if I can't buy something with cash up front then I don't buy at all. IMHO credit on computers is an especially slippery slope as interest inflates the price while the march of technology depreciates the value. You end up still paying for the old clunker when you need to upgrade or replace.

New price is astronomical and I could never have considered spending that much. I wanted to stay under $2000 and above PIII550 & 10GB so I met my criteria quire well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Shuts office door and sits down to play with new toy :D

godfather
16-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Thats a good purchase Billy, and you have chosen OK and for all the right reasons.

The speed as you say is immaterial. More speed=more heat=bigger unit=heavier.

If I chose again it would be for a similar solution.

Happy flying. Get an aircraft adapter, and use it while you travel. (You ARE going business class aren't you?)

If you see a man named Jack on board the plane, DONT SPEAK TO HIM!

< Hi Jack?>

Billy T
16-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Business Class? In my dreams:( I'm going to the West Coast and that's nearly $10,000 business class (I did ask). You can buy a brand new Portege plus a Dell as a backup for that kind of money:D

I've been invited to give a technical address to a conference (hence the laptop & PowerPoint) but have to pay my own travel & incidental expenses. I guess I'm doing it for the glory (sought after International speaker donchaknow) so unless Lotto comes up trumps on Saturday I'm travelling steerage. Actually there's a chance that it will bring some consultancy commissions in the US so the expenditure should be considered seed capital I guess.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Scurries back to the Portege, should work out how to
switch it on soon then I can get serious. Bit of an explosion
when the wife got home and found that I had added yet another
computer to the household but she was soon won over by the
style and light weight. Funny things women, entirely different
value sets but good blokes all the same. :8}

godfather
16-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Have chaired international conferences, so know what you mean. Looks good on the CV? Ends up costing a lot though, travel and accommodation.

I use airpoints to upgrade, earn lots travelling internally and use them on international flights.

Susan B
16-01-2003, 06:23 PM
> Bit of an explosion when the wife got home and found that I had added yet another computer to the household but she was soon won over by the style and light weight. Funny things women, entirely different value sets but good blokes all the same.

Shoulda married me Billy, I woulda let ya havit! :x :D

umm..... oh yeah.... bruvvers can't marry their sistas can they? :8}

Goes green with envy at Billy T's new laptop and Billy T's SWMBO having a laptop
to play with when Billy T isn't looking...
Good one Billy, hope you have a great trip. :-)

Baldy
16-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Bit of an
> explosion
> when the wife got home and found that I had added
> yet another
> computer to the household but she was soon won over
> by the
> style and light weight. Funny things women,
> entirely different
> value sets but good blokes all the same.
> :8}[/b][/pre]
>

Naughty naughty Mr Billy... Someone duidn't get prior permission LOL

Billy T
16-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Nobody but NOBODY in our house would dare to play with any of my toys Susan. They have their own computers, considerably faster and better equipped than Old Faithful and my SWMBO (whatever that stands for, but I daren't appear ignorant) wouldn't touch a computer with a barge pole. She spent years at a data terminal when computers were kept in separate rooms and looked after by ubergeeks and that was quite enough for her.

There is a slight technophobia present, hence the need to break the news of new additions to the computing whanau with some delicacy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

SWMBO - She who must be obeyed I guess.
Looks kinda logical.

rayonline
16-01-2003, 10:43 PM
some airlines allow wireless email and a bit of surfing i think. think its Lufthansa. and of course the personal entertainment system u have.

depends on airlines thou.... AirNZ seems to be the pricier one, lesser facilities.

Rayonline.

pluto
16-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know how long backlights last on laptops?
I read somewhere that older models fail approaching somewhat 10000hrs.

Does Toshiba Tecra 8001 (PIII 550Mhz) fall into that category?

Thankx

Billy T
17-01-2003, 11:01 AM
You'd be better to post this as a new thread Pluto. It may not get an answer buried at the bottom of this thread.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
17-01-2003, 11:11 AM
They all tend to be similar technology, so on that basis the backlight would be in the 10,000 - 15,000 hours.

Sometimes they just get dimmer, others will fail totally.

Its the same for desktop LCD screens as well.

pluto
17-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Thankxx GF,

So assuming a laptop is tunrned on 12hrs/day (Exagg figure) it may last for 2 1/2 years 3 1/5 years.

well i just wanted to know cause my mate bought Toshiba Tecra 8001 from Silicon Tree Comp and was trying to estimate its useful life.

Cheers