PDA

View Full Version : Online Gaming?



unknown
15-01-2003, 05:54 AM
I was just wondering what are the best dial-up settings for online gaming with 56k modem.

agent
15-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Exactly the same as the ones you use to browse the internet :D

Don't change anything, because all the protocols you should need for online gaming should already be enabled.

unknown
15-01-2003, 06:58 PM
yeh i thought the same until recently i was going through my network setttings and i changed a couple of things decreasing and stabilizing my ping by 30 odd!

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 07:07 PM
When you say your network settings changed, is this because you changed them so you could do something like take part in a Lan Party or something? or because you were curious as to what they did?

Don't forget, that there's more to ping times then just your connection settings - distance to your nearest exchange, Telecom's line conditions, Line Interference, etc.

Also, in the unlikely event you plan on playing on a US Server, it'll depend on how busy the Pacific Cable or whatever it's called (the big Fibre optic cable linking NZ, AUS, and the US together, that's designed so there's 3 contingincy routes, should one fail) - however this is a minor problem considering it's mostly underused...


CyberChuck

tango
15-01-2003, 07:50 PM
> Also, in the unlikely event you plan on playing on a
> US Server, it'll depend on how busy the Pacific Cable
> or whatever it's called (the big Fibre optic cable
> linking NZ, AUS, and the US together, that's designed
> so there's 3 contingincy routes, should one fail)

there's a fiber optic cable linking NZ and Aussie?!???!

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Yup

Here's (http://www.ptc.org/library/proceedings/fiji/images/Image10.gif) a sorta piccy outlining the way it goes

The reason that there's the join in the middle, is so that if one part of it cuts out, the data can always take some other paths! - so there's your useless info for the day


CyberChuck

tango
16-01-2003, 08:50 PM
thats incredible...i can't believe i never knew about it. is there a site that has more info on it? i couldn't find anything at that PTC place.

unknown
17-01-2003, 03:03 AM
ok howd u find out bout this site?

cyberchuck
17-01-2003, 07:03 AM
PF1? - I found out about of that from PCWorld magazines
The cable between NZ, the US and Aus? - I found out about that by playing around with google.

Here's some more useless information if your interested:
The Southern Cross Cable is a 29,000 kilometre, high capacity fibre optic, submarine cable loop. It has the potential for up to 480 gigabits per second of capacity, from one side of the Pacific to the other. That's enough for 23 million simultaneous telephone calls or eight full-length motion pictures every second. Invensys Intergy product range has played an integral role in the realisation of this project. Costing in excess of $US1.2 billion, the cable will meet the growing demand for transmission of voice, data and video traffic in the Pacific Rim region. It is the first direct fiber optic link between Australasia and the USA

Just search on Google for "southern cross cable" without the quotation marks




CyberChuck