PDA

View Full Version : lan party - networking win98se with a 2000/xp network

pleasehelp
14-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Hi all

I recently went to a lan party with a 98se machine with everything setup to connect to the network, hardware, protocols etc. But i just could not connect, does anyone have any tips on getting 98se to network properly with a 2000/xp network with out shelling out nearly $200 for the new os?

Thanks

tweak\'e
14-01-2003, 10:46 PM
depends on what you are trying to set up and what protocols are used. have a look here (http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/basics.htm) and here (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/).

unfortunatly win9x/me was never really designed with networking in mine. it does work ok but when it dosn't it can be a nightmare.

one other tip- if you are useing tcp/ip then reset any modem tweaks back to defaults.

Kame
14-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Just to add to Tweak'e, you'll have to make sure the other Win2k/xp machines knows what user/password you'll be under... because they don't allow just any computer to connect to them. Security reasons.

tango
15-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Ata LAN parties I've been to, people have never seemed to have any trouble with Win98...at ours, we always enter in our own IP address, gateway and DNS etc, when you get there there is a piece of paper on the desk telling you what your IP is, do everything is organised. Do you do this? or just connect straight up?

Also sometimes certain machines don't show up in Network Neighborhood/Network Places. But if you go to Find Computer and search for one, it pops up. I have no idea why.

crozier
15-01-2003, 08:32 AM
How about trying the Network Setup Wizard on one of the XP machines then creating the setup disk for Win 98.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 09:01 AM
If you're gonna share files from the XP/2K machines ( as in from an update file server) then you'll need to add your 98 login the that machine...

I would suggest you take a look at this thread about our recent networking ideas:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30043

Stumped Badly
15-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I've found XP/95,98etc extremely easy to setup as long as the XP machine has been properly configured.
Did anyone else at the party have problems?
It may be your setup at fault.
Have you checked your NIC & cables. All lights green?
Check under hardware propeties to ensure your card is operating correctly & has the correct drivers.
Check all your protocols/sharing etc.
Hook yours up to another 9x machine & see if you can ping it, if you can't then I would do some troubleshooting on your own machine 1st.

toddbro
15-01-2003, 10:21 AM
With 98se and ME I have found that it helps to add netbuie as a protocol when you are required to share files with 2000 and XP otherwise you get the message that goes alittle like \\computername\IPC$ and asks for the password.

It is also important to set up the username and passwords on the other computers you are trying to get into.

tango
15-01-2003, 11:00 AM
but what if there are 50+ people at the party?

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 11:06 AM
> but what if there are 50+ people at the party?

Work Quickly ;)

agent
15-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Are you speaking about LAN3, or are you doing something yourself? :D

I'll say my from my experience with having lan parties with six people, it never took more than telling everyone what to do once and on average two restarts before everything was fine. Except the time we had to install a network card in a rather old computer, download the driver for it, put it on floppy (or was it CD?), and install the network card.

Of course, this ease might've had something to do with me having a server, so everyone could just get the server to specify an IP address (after me reading out the config on my comp).

Also in my experience: the very same network card was never removed from that computer (didn't matter too much), and the power cable for the monitor I supplied for that comp was taken too

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Id suggest DHCP - SO much easier for larger things like that and no IP conflicts.

For sharing.. You can set it up in 2K so that "Everybody" has permission.. Im sure you can make it a fully public folder somehow ?:|