PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of things from the right click menu?

unknown
14-01-2003, 06:21 PM
it annoys me everytime i install an application and i go to right click on some later on to find out the list has filled up my screen. Is there anyway of getting rid of things from that menu?

agent
14-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Two ways:
1. Open the application that has offended you this way, check the settings for something called "Shell Extensions", and disable/untick them.

2. Open the Run dialog, type "regedit", and open the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT". This contains a list of every file extension. Locate the file extension that has a Shell Extension you don't want, click the + sign next to it, and look for a 'folder' called "ShellEx" or "ShellNew", and delete it.

Go with option 1, it is far more sensible, and option 2 I am unsure about, but I know that's where shell extensions are stored. If you're gonna go about it by editing the registry, create a backup first and make sure you have a way of safely restoring it if everything goes wrong.

unknown
14-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks ive already tried the application approach but some didnt have options and it still filled up my screen ill do it through the registery instead.

Susan B
14-01-2003, 07:30 PM
What version of Windows are you using? If you've got TweakUI installed I *think* you can use that to choose what items you want on the right-click list. Haven't got it installed myself at the mo so I can't confirm for sure right now.

unknown
14-01-2003, 07:33 PM
I was originally usuin xp but got sick of it (too many conflicts) so ive gone back too win98SE yeh i have tweak ui but i cant find anything bout it i found the new menus in it but that was all>

agent
14-01-2003, 07:40 PM
I think what you're thinking of Susan is that in Tweak UI you can choose what things to go in the 'Rightclick - New' menu. Don't know why MS hasn't allowed you to add new files to it, only untick current ones.

unknown
14-01-2003, 09:14 PM
I couldnt find it in the registery and tweak ui doesnt do it either are there any applications avaibile to do it

agent
14-01-2003, 09:37 PM
An option in the installation possibly, but I doubt it.