PDA

View Full Version : Crackling, popping, and hissing sound

InverseEight
14-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Hello,

Im having some troubles with my Vibra128. At random intervals, for about 15seconds, the sound starts popping and hissing. I've never had trouble before, and it only started happening when I upgraded to XP SP1. I read the Creative KB, but it only says to lower things in the BIOS, and turn of UDMA, which I don't really want to do, because it was working fine before. So, Im just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has found a fix, or if anyone can suggest anything that may be causing it that could be adjusted (other than turning down performance options). I've downloaded the latest drivers, and even a "popping" fix from the creative website but nothing has helped, and I haven't found any help topics with people with the same conditions (OS, or soundcard). This even occurs when there is very little hdd/cpu activity.

Any help or suggestions appreciated,
Thanks,

Matt

agent
14-01-2003, 04:40 PM
How old is the soundcard? I've got a soundcard (far from brand-spanking new), and when I upgraded my mobo, it suddenly produced noise (the term used to describe hissing and crackling) permanently. Upgrading my OS to XP only got rid of the noise, as the soundcard still doesn't work.

I think you might have a situation similar (but not exactly like) to mine. The problem might be conflicts or BIOS settings. Open Windows Help and Support Centre and search for "conflict list". I remember that there is a feature in the Help and Support Centre that lists conflicts your system has. See if your soundcard is in there somewhere.

Apart from that, I don't know much more about what could be causing it.

godfather
14-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Have a look on Google.
You are not alone trying to get this to work consistently (or at all) on XP.

Problem seems to be that the card doesnt always identify itself correctly as regards drivers, so you might "think" you have the right ones but?

Go to this link (http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/) and work your way through starting with the link on the right "how do I identify my Vibra 128..."

It will involve you removing the card to identify it by the look of it.

Also saw another user had to change the latency settings in BIOS to get it to go.

godfather
14-01-2003, 05:19 PM
This was still in my cache, so may as well put it here.

Response from 1 similarly affected person. Use at your own peril, but the IRQ info may be what you want?

Strange!...... Anyway, once you have identified the name/model of your card you can easily download the appropriate driver for your OS and install them (if they are available). I have also noticed that most people have been complaining about the sound quality problems with this card (fuzzy, distorted, jumpy). Well there is a very simple solution to solve this problem/issue. My PC is built on an ASUS A7V266 with Win XP Pro as the OS and it seems like this MB (and for all other ASUS MB’s) is a bit too fast for the sound card (in fact you’ll have similar problems with any Creative Sound card, so please be a bit patient and don’t go rushing out to by a more expensive sound card).

The fix to this problem is within the BIOS. Depending on your motherboard, you should have a setting called “PCI Latency Timer” and this would generally be found in the ADVANCE section of your BIOS. By default ASUS set theirs to 32 and Creative recommends you set it to 0. I tried this setting but unfortunately the sound card stopped giving out any sound – a bit pointless and I therefore set my timer value to 128 (recommended by someone in sound card forum). GUESS WHAT? Crystal clear sound and all my problems solved………

I also found out that SB PC128 has a limitation when it comes to sharing IRQ’s. (If you have a MB with 5 PCI slots, I would strongly recommend you install it on either PCI 2, 3 or 4 (1& 5 a generally shared)

InverseEight
15-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks Agent,

The computer and card is less than a year old, so I'm not expecting any age probs from it.

Thanks godfather,

I think I know what the problem is now, recently my computer has started sucking, and it's now underclocked by about 500MHz just so it won't get STOP error on startup, and I noticed this changed the Bus speeds as well, so now Ram thinks it's PC1600, with 133MHz FSB, I just these would be high enough for things to still work fine.

crozier
15-01-2003, 02:14 PM
>recently my computer has started sucking, and it's now underclocked by about 500MHz just so it won't get STOP error on startup, and I noticed this changed the Bus speeds as well, so now Ram thinks it's PC1600, with 133MHz FSB, I just these would be high enough for things to still work fine.

I thinks that's the cause of your sound card problem, you're undercloking just about everything on the motherboard including PCI. You should be investigating why the PC is "sucking"