PDA

View Full Version : Booting

jasezone
14-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi there,
I have just installed winXP onto a new FAT32 partition on my computer that is already running windows ME. When I boot up the computer, it asks me which OS I would like to run. Right now after 30 seconds, it autoboots XP. Is is possible to, after 5 seconds autoboot WinME.

If not I installed Boot-US which can do that, but after I start the computer and autoboot windows me, it comes up with the other boot manager above (that windows uses) is there any way to remove the 2nd boot manager so it just boots straight into windows me from Boot-US.

I hope you can make some sense of all of that! ?:|

Any help appreciated,
Jason

Babe Ruth
14-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Jasezone,

Boot into WinXP
Click START | RUN and in the Run box type MSCONFIG and click OK

In the Msconfig window click the BOOT.INI tab
In the boot.ini screen select (highlight) the WinME boot option {under the [Operating Systems] section and click the Set as default button

To change the TIMEOUT to some other value (e.g. 5 seconds) modify the Timeout box to the appropriate value.
Click on APPLY then CLOSE.
restart your PC

Babe.

rugila
14-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Jasezone

Just adding to Babe Ruth's advice.
If you want to boot directly into ME (instead of XP) as the default after say 5 seconds you will also need to change the default line in the boot.ini file. Do this either through Xp or ME.
The default line should be something like
default=C:\ or default=D:\ or wherever your ME normally boots from.
No need to add the drive(0)partition(1) or whatever stuff that XP uses, since ME doesn't boot this way. You only need that sort of syntax if you want to use XP as default.

rugila
14-01-2003, 10:55 AM
On re-reading Babe Ruth I see it was all there anyway. Sorry about that Babe.
My comments referred only if you need to manually edit the boot.ini file through ME if XP wasn't booting or otherwise wasn't working properly

InverseEight
14-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Or if you dont want to attack your boot.ini you can:

Right click My Comp > Properties > Advanced > Startup and recovery settings

Adjust as required.

rugila
14-01-2003, 04:48 PM
> My comments referred only if you need to manually edit the boot.ini file through ME if XP wasn't booting or otherwise wasn't working properly.

That actually should read " ... edit the boot.ini file though ME or DOS if XP wasn't..." in case neither XP nor ME is properly operational. Has happened on occasion.

jasezone
15-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks heaps everyone,
it is now working fine