PDA

View Full Version : IDE configuration

danrivera204
14-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Ok, pay attention i think this may get complicated. I just got a new hard drive and a cdrw. Heres how i got it setup:
Pri. Master - 40gb hd
Pri. Slave - 20gb hd
Sec. Master - Cd-rom
Sec. Slave - Cd-rw
Heres The problem... When all four are connected neither hd is detected. If both Cd drives are disconnected both the hard drives are detected. And if i remove the 20gb hard drive everything else is detected. I want all four working at the same time. Please Help! Thanx in advanced

CYaBro
14-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Have you checked to make sure that, on each IDE cable, one drive is set to master and one to slave?

The CD drives should be pretty straight forward to set but HDD's can have quite a few pins sometimes so double check those. You may even have to go to the Manufacturers web site and look at the installation guides.

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Setting the to CS (Cable Select) is a good option, as this is changeable when you shift the drives around.

You've probably got three sets of pins, one for slave, one for master, and one for cs. I'd use cs on them all and try it out. Mind you, some drives can be picky about where they go.

My DVD-ROM wont work on secondary IDE, and no matter what on the primary one, its always the master!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

danrivera204
14-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Where exactly is this located at?

roofus
14-01-2003, 10:32 AM
At the back of the drives. Next to the Hard-drive cable that connects it to your motherboard. You will generally see MA for master and SL for slave and CS for Cable Select

roofus
14-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Forgot to mention, they are like Dip switches' There will be three rows of pins, and you need to move the little black cap (dunno its proper name) to the selection you want

danrivera204
14-01-2003, 10:52 AM
there are no such switches on the back of either of my hds

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 10:59 AM
> little black cap (dunno its proper name)

I think its called a bridge, but Im not an electircal component expert... :(

danrivera204
14-01-2003, 11:11 AM
i understand now, and will hopefully be posting back in a few with good news

Robin S_
14-01-2003, 11:34 AM
The Master/Slave/ Cable Select setting device is usually called a jumper switch and normally comprises 3 pairs of pins which can be connected by the little black blocks called jumpers. The switches are sometimes located on the back end of the drive and sometimes underneath it. A switch is set ON when the pair of pins is connected by a jumper and OFF when they are not. A jumper that is not in use is parked by pushing it on one pin only (so it doesn't get lost). Always park unused jumpers, don't discard them because they may be required later for a different configuration. The specific configuration of the jumpers varies widely between different makes and models of drive, but most have a sticker on them with a diagramme or table showing the config settings. If there is no sticker go to the drive manufacturer's website where you should be able to find configuration information. Note that in some models a master with attached slave requires a different setting from a master with no slave.

kiwistag
20-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Another possibility is that to check in the BIOS under Advanced that both PIO and UDMA mode is set to automatic, sometimes UDMA is Disabled and reducing performance. UDMA is sort of outgrowing PIO as it is faster (I.E UDMA133) PIO seems more fore ZIP drives & some CD-ROM/RW Drives. Most seem to be able to support UDMA fine, this is also an option in Windows Device manager. Try to enable Block mode in the BIOS too, or try another IDE cable.

tweak\'e
20-01-2003, 08:53 PM
>Try to enable Block mode in the BIOS too

be carefull, changing the block mode can corupt the data on the disk. if you change it you may require a fresh install.