PDA

View Full Version : Linux display driver troubles

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Im not sure how this is possible, but I'll explain it in the hope that somebody else might know!

I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for Lycoris Desktop/LX (The ones specified in the online KB Article) and installed them. All good and no errors.

Now, my XF86config-4 file is a little modified and there is no reference to 640x480 in there, I replaced them all with 1024x768 (Bearing in mind this has happened before I tried that).

I hit Ctrl + Alt + F4 and went into su mode and used vi to edit the config file (After making a backup of it in a subfolder) I changed where is had a refernce to the driver "vesa" to "nv" and saved the file and quit.
I hit Alt + F5 to return to the GUI (Did anybody notice its using KDE 2.2.2.X?! KDE 3 has been out a while now!). I logged out (as you do to reload the XF86config, and my resolution became 640x480 and was in rainbow colors and all! It was disgusting. I however decided to take a screenshot using the program aptly named "Take a Screenshot" (You gotta wonder where they get their inspiration from aye!?). I saved it, went back into the CLI and used vi on the XF86config-4 file, and removed all traces of all color modes except for 16 and 32 bit!
I used Alt + F5 again and got back into the GUI and proceeded to log out and thereby restarting the X-Server. Still same problems!
I restored the earlier file and all was peachy at 1024x768 res, in 32 or 16 Bit color (I dunno which?!) using the vesa driver!

Now, here's where it is weird:
I loaded up the screenshot and it looked perfectly normal! at a resolution of 640x480, in 16 or 32 bit color (Maybe 24, I still cant tell the difference ;)

What do you guys think is up here?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
14-01-2003, 03:14 PM
The reference to "nv" might be the problem. I think that calls the generic driver; not the one you have just installed. Have you read all the "README" etc files which came with the driver.?

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I believe so...

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Ahhh... So you're thinking I need something different from "nv" in there.. I'll go check the website again!

Graham L
14-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Try "nvidia linux" on google. There are a number of quite thorough descriptions of what is involved. There is a specific forum at NV News (http://www.nvnews.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=57).

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Right again!

I found this in the readme:

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

I must have read something else instructing me to switch it to "nv", possibly here...

I'll be off home and try it out tonight!

Chilling_Silence

BTW, The nv news is very helpful :D

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Apparently I had the wrong driver file, I fully screwed my XF86config-4 file and so I had to format - No Fear! It was all back up and running with a fresh samba setup in just under 30 mins!