PDA

View Full Version : Just asking 20 questions on many different topics



Kame
13-01-2003, 11:14 AM
1. Windows 2000 had an Advance Server which I think is for turning PC's into servers. Am I right about that?

2. Does WinXP have an Advance Server?

3. Is there anyway to setup my Linux's (RH8.0) mouse settings (acceleration, etc) so that it works just the same as my WinXP Pro.

4. What's good software for creating Flyers? Don't say Publisher XP or MS related. I find you have to do a lot of detailed work to get a good Flyer and I'm not that artistic and don't have the time to mess around.

5. A computer just over 1 and a half years old keeps blue screening at spontaneous times (usually when multitasking) with Hardware Malfunction and doesn't give detail about what the problem is. I'm thinking of replacing the memory at least and if that doesn't work it may work out cheaper replacing the whole machine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

6. I'm thinking of buying a GF4 but am uncertain about it working under Linux. Are there specific GF4 brands that definitely work under Linux?

7. Emailed Telecom last night (which they are yet to get back to me) asking how much it would cost to get my DSL disabled and enabled in a new area because of me moving. The place I'm moving to will have to have a technician in to do the wiring. Is this going to just be the same price as a new setup?

8. I'll have to think about what I should ask next.

9. What's the difference in WinXP Home and WinXP Pro? Was working on a clients computer yesterday running WinXP Home and all I could tell from it was that it has a smaller drivers database which meant getting a lot of drivers off the net on his speedy little 56ker.

10. In a recent PC World mag I saw some type of MTU or some type of program that tweaks your Internet Connection. What is the program? 11. and where can I get it? I don't know what month the magazine was but it is quite recent.

12. Do I ask a lot of questions?

13. Is that alright?

14. How good is WINE (Windows Emulator) on Linux?

15. Does anyone know which CD WINE's RPM is on in RH8.0?

16. When using Knoppix it found all my hard drives and made shortcuts to them on my desktop. How can I accomplish this in RH8.0?

17. I downloaded a trial version of MYOB Plus 4 which was good. I bought MYOB 10 and want to know how I can use my custom invoice and data because MYOB Plus 4 uses a different extension for it data file.

18. Is there anyway to turn USB or Parallel to Ethernet using some type of convertor?

19. On this Win 2k Pro computer it keeps picking up my already installed printer every time I log in. No matter what I've tried it just never stops picking it up. When it picks it up it goes off to try and install the printer and returns saying Error: Need Interactive Window or something like that. It's not the exact error but close to it. Any ways to make Windows ignore that hardware at least since it is installed and working fine?

20. Are you glad you got this far?

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 11:28 AM
> 1. Windows 2000 had an Advance Server which I think
> is for turning PC's into servers. Am I right about
> that?

Windows 2000 Advanced server is best for scaling multiple (up to 8) processors for load balancing. Windows 2000 Server only supports up to 4 processors. Advanced Server also has clustering capabilities.

> 2. Does WinXP have an Advance Server?

No. Windows XP is a PC OS, not really a server OS.

> 4. What's good software for creating Flyers? Don't
> say Publisher XP or MS related. I find you have to
> do a lot of detailed work to get a good Flyer and I'm
> not that artistic and don't have the time to mess
> around.

I use Photoshop, save as an image, insert picture into MS Word and convert to a PDF. Time consuming, but you have more control with Photoshop.

> 7. Emailed Telecom last night (which they are yet to
> get back to me) asking how much it would cost to get
> my DSL disabled and enabled in a new area because of
> me moving. The place I'm moving to will have to have
> a technician in to do the wiring. Is this going to
> just be the same price as a new setup?

Don't bother emailing them, call them or go and see them. You'll be waiting years for a response. I'm sure they don't bother to read 90% of the emails they get! Telecom are the best people to tell you what it will cost. I don't think anyone here works for Telecom???

> 8. I'll have to think about what I should ask next.

Go on then.

> 9. What's the difference in WinXP Home and WinXP
> Pro? Was working on a clients computer yesterday
> running WinXP Home and all I could tell from it was
> that it has a smaller drivers database which meant
> getting a lot of drivers off the net on his speedy
> little 56ker.


XP Pro is made for the business user, XP Home is made for the home user. Subtle differences. XP has more advanced networking capabilities, while Home focuses more on entertainment than business.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

> 12. Do I ask a lot of questions?

Yes.

> 13. Is that alright?

Perhaps make each question a new post next time, and spread them over a couple of days? Makes it easier to sort through.

> 20. Are you glad you got this far?

I'm proud of myself. Though I didn't answer all your questions :D

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 11:32 AM
> 1. Windows 2000 had an Advance Server which I think
> is for turning PC's into servers. Am I right about
> that?
>

Hmm.. Not too sure, you can upgrade I believe!

> 2. Does WinXP have an Advance Server?
>

Not that I know of, its not a server OS. Sign up to become a Beta of M$ .NET Server, now at RC2. Shaping up to be quite a good OS. I would already take it over XP!

> 3. Is there anyway to setup my Linux's (RH8.0) mouse
> settings (acceleration, etc) so that it works just
> the same as my WinXP Pro.
>

Im pretty sure you can change the setting for cursor looks, have a look under System Settings

> 4. What's good software for creating Flyers? Don't
> say Publisher XP or MS related. I find you have to
> do a lot of detailed work to get a good Flyer and I'm
> not that artistic and don't have the time to mess
> around.

There's a lot of free stuff with Linux, try installing KOffice or the other suite that comes with RedHat 8

>
> 5. A computer just over 1 and a half years old keeps
> blue screening at spontaneous times (usually when
> multitasking) with Hardware Malfunction and doesn't
> give detail about what the problem is. I'm thinking
> of replacing the memory at least and if that doesn't
> work it may work out cheaper replacing the whole
> machine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

A short diagnostic, if it happens when multi-tasking, then it could be part of the RAM. Otherwise, graphics card would be next on my list (Long story.. Its all Paul Stowers... Crazy guy.... Stupid machine...). It might be crashing when writing to a certain part of your RAM. SD-RAM is dead cheap, so why not buy 1 128MB chip and try it out for a few days, you can add more later if it solves it.

>
> 6. I'm thinking of buying a GF4 but am uncertain
> about it working under Linux. Are there specific GF4
> brands that definitely work under Linux?
>

All do, I've got one. It starts off with VESA drivers which can then be changed to nv (nVidia). Shouldnt be a problem, I too had RH8 with a GF4 :-)

> 7. Emailed Telecom last night (which they are yet to
> get back to me) asking how much it would cost to get
> my DSL disabled and enabled in a new area because of
> me moving. The place I'm moving to will have to have
> a technician in to do the wiring. Is this going to
> just be the same price as a new setup?

Dunno

>
> 8. I'll have to think about what I should ask next.
>

That's fine, I havent been able to answer the all so far ;)

> 9. What's the difference in WinXP Home and WinXP
> Pro? Was working on a clients computer yesterday
> running WinXP Home and all I could tell from it was
> that it has a smaller drivers database which meant
> getting a lot of drivers off the net on his speedy
> little 56ker.
>

I dunno about the driver database, shouldnt be! This website might help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.asp

> 10. In a recent PC World mag I saw some type of MTU
> or some type of program that tweaks your Internet
> Connection. What is the program? 11. and where can
> I get it? I don't know what month the magazine was
> but it is quite recent.

Easy MTU I think, but its not XP compatible from what I understand.
I would reccommend super rabbit magic set from superrsoft.com which lets you tweak network/cable/dial-up settings

>
> 12. Do I ask a lot of questions?

Yup

>
> 13. Is that alright?
>

Perfectly alright!

> 14. How good is WINE (Windows Emulator) on Linux?
>

Its good, but only to a certain extent. It doesnt come with RedHat 8 by default. It'll run some progs like Minesweeper and stuff, but try it out on Unreal Tournament and you'll get interesting results (It loaded, but only to the rolling intro, then nothing would let me continue).
There's WineX or something (As NZ_Liam - he knows the website) and it'll let you play MS games on Linux systems, with a theoritcal 300% performance boost on Q3 engine based games. Most things I've seend are slower in WINE than in native OS, as its emulating.

> 15. Does anyone know which CD WINE's RPM is on in
> RH8.0?

I just got it off the net from SourceForge. Its dead easy, search google for Download WINE Linux

>
> 16. When using Knoppix it found all my hard drives
> and made shortcuts to them on my desktop. How can I
> accomplish this in RH8.0?
>

Good question, I wanna know too! I am using Lycoris Desktop/LX at the moment which has a My Linux System icon that they're all kept in, similar to My Computer in doze

> 17. I downloaded a trial version of MYOB Plus 4
> which was good. I bought MYOB 10 and want to know
> how I can use my custom invoice and data because MYOB
> Plus 4 uses a different extension for it data file.
>

Umm.. I would only be able to help out with NZHO or NZPro, sorry.

> 18. Is there anyway to turn USB or Parallel to
> Ethernet using some type of convertor?
>

Yup, but its easier to install a PCI NIC, but it is possible :-) DSE have the stuff I think

> 19. On this Win 2k Pro computer it keeps picking up
> my already installed printer every time I log in. No
> matter what I've tried it just never stops picking it
> up. When it picks it up it goes off to try and
> install the printer and returns saying Error: Need
> Interactive Window or something like that. It's not
> the exact error but close to it. Any ways to make
> Windows ignore that hardware at least since it is
> installed and working fine?
>

Not a clue, but what printer type, what's it using (USB or parallel?) and an exact error message would be nice :)

> 20. Are you glad you got this far?

Yes, very, hope this helps!!!

Cheers


Chilling_Silence

*Wonders how many have answered while he writes up this?*

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 11:34 AM
> > 1. Windows 2000 had an Advance Server which I
> think
> > is for turning PC's into servers. Am I right
> about
> > that?
>
> Windows 2000 Advanced server is best for scaling
> multiple (up to 8) processors for load balancing.
> Windows 2000 Server only supports up to 4 processors.
> Advanced Server also has clustering capabilities.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. Windows 2000 comes in three flava's - Server, Advanced Server and Datacentre.

- Windows 2000 Server is the standard server OS, for 1- 4 processors, file/print, no heavy lifting etc.

- Windows 2000 Advanced Server is for many processors (1 - 8), and allows things such as clustering and SMP.

- Datacentre is the granddaddy of all MS server OS's with support for up to 32 processors, and supports enterprise 4-node clustering.

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to with your question, but Advanced Server's purpose is not to turn PC's in servers. Can you explain further?

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 11:35 AM
> > 12. Do I ask a lot of questions?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 13. Is that alright?
>
> Perhaps make each question a new post next time, and
> spread them over a couple of days? Makes it easier to
> sort through.
>

After just replying to it myself, I agree... Subject lines help a lot, knowing what task we will be facing :)

Then again, Ive asked more than one Q in one thread before, and I think its quite alright though :)

I like the smileys today :)

I think Im having a very smiley day :)

The weather is bad in CBD, but Im hoping it will clear :)

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 11:37 AM
>5. A computer just over 1 and a half years old keeps blue screening at spontaneous times (usually when multitasking) with Hardware Malfunction and doesn't give detail about what the problem is. I'm thinking of replacing the memory at least and if that doesn't work it may work out cheaper replacing the whole machine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

details dude details


>9. What's the difference in WinXP Home and WinXP Pro?

not a lot, mainly tools and some networking.

> Was working on a clients computer yesterday running WinXP Home and all I could tell from it was that it has a smaller drivers database which meant getting a lot of drivers off the net on his speedy little 56ker.

who cares;-) most drivers that come with OS's are out of date anyway. it always pays to check for updated ones.

>10. In a recent PC World mag I saw some type of MTU or some type of program that tweaks your Internet Connection. What is the program? 11. and where can I get it? I don't know what month the magazine was but it is quite recent.

what OS ??

>12. Do I ask a lot of questions?

yes

>13. Is that alright?

yes more the merrier ;-)

>18. Is there anyway to turn USB or Parallel to Ethernet using some type of convertor?

yes tho its a bit slow (depending on which ver of usb you are using)

>20. Are you glad you got this far?

<sigh>

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 11:39 AM
> After just replying to it myself, I agree... Subject
> lines help a lot, knowing what task we will be facing
> :)

It could become a very long thread.

> Then again, Ive asked more than one Q in one thread
> before, and I think its quite alright though :)

Keep on setting the standards high :D Hey! Three more posts to go and you hit the big 2-0-0-0! :p

> I like the smileys today :)

:D

> I think Im having a very smiley day :)

:D

> The weather is bad in CBD, but Im hoping it will
> clear :)

:D Sure it will!

Kiwitas
13-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Kame,

Answers 12 Yes

13 Yes

20 Yes


The rest;Don't know!Real helpful eh?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 11:43 AM
>
> >9. What's the difference in WinXP Home and WinXP
> Pro?
>
> not a lot, mainly tools and some networking.
> >

Yeah, Like Desktop Sharing and Remote Access stuff, can come in very handy at the worst of times!

Drivers, Im with Tweak'e, use the Ones off the CD-ROM that came with the hardware, or go online and get the latest.

its usually quite simple. For a SB!Live soundcard drivers for 2K (What I've done) I'd type:
driver download 2K SB Live Sound

And that's it :-) Sift through, Ive always been able to find drivers using that method.

Otherwise, Vendor homepage is always good:
Creative labs homepage

Cheers


Chilling_Silence

Kame
13-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The reason I didn't do them as seperate subjects is the time to keep creating a new post. Plus I consider it like spamming a forum because it's all questions coming from me.

The real real reason though is that I only thought of those questions one after the other and was on a roll that I thought I'd just do it all in the one post and change the subject to equal the amount of questions I asked even thought 8. isn't a question 21. now is it?

Kame
13-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply.

Kame
13-01-2003, 12:45 PM
What I mean by server is just a computer that hosts all the files and is used for storage so other computers can access it. Every computer will have to log into this server. So far I have only accomplished part of this using File Sharing and P2P networking.

Cheers

KK

Kame
13-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Details huh, OK PC Specs P4 1.5GHz, 256MB DDR, OS WinXP Pro, I believe it's multitasking but it can just go whenever it feels like it. Doesn't matter which programs you run it's going to BSOD ya soon. I currently added more memory to it and I'm not sure if it had the problem before adding or after adding it. I decided to take the added memory out and still I get that problem. Also switched it with the added memory only and still problems. 22. If it turns out to be the RAM does anyone in Auckland want possibly faulty RAM for nothing? But I will not be held reliable for any blah blah blah... you get what I mean.

I'm concerned that adding memory to the motherboard may result in the same thing. Possibly the motherboard is messing up my RAM now. 23. Anyway to check that the motherboard will not kill my RAM?

I will replace the Graphics card too now to see if that fixes the problem.

Kame
13-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Well you answered 3 of mine and 3 out of 20 is 15% answers answered.

I still need to go back over and find out which ones haven't been answered. Maybe individual posts would help but keeping track of where they all are seems like a mission.

Kame
13-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I know it's better using drivers that are recent but when you have say a monitor that is old but very well known and you know in WinXP Pro that XP Pro has the drivers but you go to a clients place running WinXP Home and he's got the exact same monitor but XP Home decides it'd use the default monitor driver and not the one it is because it didn't have it in it's database.

I had no clue that his monitor driver was default until he asked how to make the screen wider to get rid of the black border on the monitor. I went throught his monitor got to Horizontal Size and it was already maxed. That's how I came across his monitor settings and tried updating the drivers using XP Home's driver database and it wasn't listed.

crozier
13-01-2003, 01:24 PM
>The reason I didn't do them as seperate subjects is the time to keep creating a new post

Consider the people from whom you're asking for help. Make is easier for us and you'll likely get a better responce. It's tedious to wade through 20 questions in order to answer 1.

Also it would help people searching for similar help later on.

>Plus I consider it like spamming a forum because it's all questions coming from me.

Spamming isn't just mass posting or mailing. It is unwanted or unrequested off topic posting. 20 posts about 20 different problems is welcome, as long as they're relevant to this forum.

yang11
13-01-2003, 02:10 PM
1. w2000 got server version, advanced server and datacenter versions.

2. winxp is desktop os. if u are looking at the next generation from the Gates, there is a windows 2003 .net server RC2. its a free timed beta version, u can download from microsoft.com. however someone said future .net server will not support games(i.e. no-gl, no quake, not sure about directx).

5. look at the logs to see if it gives u a clue. bsod is due to software or hardware. make sure ur not overclock your machine and cpu not too hot.
if under someone's warranty, take it back......

Graham L
13-01-2003, 03:24 PM
5. If it's crashing when multitasking, it's using more memory then. I'd suspect a memory fault.

6. Video cards --- I think NVidia is pretty well supoprted by the manufacturer. Try "nvidia linux" to google.

7. Making shortcuts for disks. RH8 doesn't do it. RH8 (and any other distribution) doesn't have a desktop. :D They have GUIs and window managers which use X-Window. The common GUIs are Gnome and KDE. I think that both put icons on the desktop for all disks. Gnome does, anyway, when I use it.

15. RPMs ... On RedHat CDs (and probably most others) the RPMs are in the RPMS directory (usually on the first CD). The source code packages are in the SRPMS directory.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Gnome might, but KDE doesnt when used out of the box with redhat 8

*Chilling_Silence jsut gota Pf1 error*

Graham L
13-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Well KDE will have a way to do it. Click on the K wheel, and look for control centre.

Kame
13-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Yes I am running KDE too. I remember when running RH7 that I tested out Gnome and KDE and liked KDE for some strange reason but yes I do remember seeing in Gnome that it had detected most of the drives like CDROMs, ZIP and HARD DRIVES but it didn't find NTFS drives because apparently I have to compile the kernel for RH7 to support it.

But it's all good now. I have NTFS support in RH8 by using an RPM I found. I will see if I can figure out how the Desktop/GUI creates those icons. I thought I could like snoop around Knoppix and discover something there. Can't snoop around yet till I get back home but thanks.

duckyduck
13-01-2003, 06:07 PM
In regards to the Telecom Question, my parents shifted to a new house and I ended up paying telecom I think 248 for connecting jetstart to that house which did not include additional wiring and wall sockets, that was in Chch and only going back to December.

It is my understanding that the alternative to the above fee is to pay Telecom $99 for the connection and paper work and supply and install at your own expense filters.

wotz
13-01-2003, 06:31 PM
17. MYOB

Unless you need to have time costing or networked MYOB then go with MYOB12. It is the same as Plus4 but without the 2 things above. To upgrade there are 2 options - 1. contact MYOB and buy and upgrade 2. contact MYOB and go on a subscription plan (1 yr minimum) $29.95 + GST per month. From memory, in your MYOB10 folder there will be a forms folder that contains your forms. They should copy over, but I don't have any here to check. The CD WITH myob12 will have a program to convert your data from 10 to 12.

Kame
14-01-2003, 11:32 PM
I just got word back from Telecom for question 7.

Apparently it's going to cost me $250 which is way more than what they charge for getting DSL enabled and wiring done. It's pathetic in my case. What are they going to do?

Nice one Telecom. Why not just wire my enabled DSL from this location to the location I want. Probably cost the same?

Kame
14-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Why would you pay $248 if connection and wiring costs $199 although I haven't seen the price of it yet and it could have increased over the year but to my understanding it's a rip off. There's no special deal for already being a DSL user and having it switched to another location. They offer deals on transferring phone numbers over don't they?

yang11
15-01-2003, 04:24 PM
I might have quoted someone wrong that windows 2003 wont support games.
I just tested glqwcl on RC1, look like its still working....

everything is in beta, so anything may happen...

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Windows 2003 (.NET Server) does support games.

Unreal Tournament ran mint when I tried it with default drivers.

I would have tested Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast, only NO sound drivers worked for my SB!Live or my onboard AC '97.
Im guessing they dont expect server computers to have surround sound :D

If I can get my laptop working again, I'll try it on a rather low-spec machine and see how it handles :-)

aries1973
16-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I had the same thing with Telecom last month re moving house. In the end I told them I didnt want it transferred (at a cost of $250) and instead told them to cut it off at the old house and restart it at the new house which means it was a new connection and only cost $99. The only problem was a change of email address. But that wasnt too bad cause I dont have many friends :D