PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Direct X

Scott Bartley
13-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a friend without internet access who'd like to know which was the last version of Direct X that could be uninstalled. (not removed manually....uninstalled)

I've had a quick google and haven't turned up anything yet...so I thought I'd try you lot :)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Im sure there's a way of removing DX8.1, not too sure about the latest DX9 though.

There is a special tool needed to do this, a free downloadable proggy, and it is risky from what I understand.

Why remove it anyway?

Scott Bartley
13-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Yeah I know you can remove later versions but this guy wants to know the last version to include an option to uninstall it...like through "Add/Remove Programs".

I'm not sure why he wants to do this but I know he does run some old systems. I think he's tinkering :)

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 10:53 AM
DirectX is not uninstallable. however you can get third party uninstallers which work with varing degrees of success. i found you had to reinstall windows to get everything to work but your milage may vary.

unless he/she is having magor problems then don't try to uninstall it.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 10:57 AM
I am going to agree,
I have heard that most will take DX back to the version that came with the OS, but not much else on removing it altogether.

If it doesnt need to be removed for some out-of-it reason, I'd leave it, or, try installing the latest DX 9 if your friend is having troubles :-)

If he's tinkering, I'd suggest he tinkers with something else :)