PDA

View Full Version : Detonator 40 drivers and Windows shutdown screen.

Buck
13-01-2003, 10:08 AM
I have just installed the Nvidia Detonator drivers for my vid card, and now Win 98SE does not show the 'It's OK to turn off your computer' screen at shutdown. It has shut down properly (no disk scan occurs on starting again), but just goes to a black screen. I have checked the Win 98 shutdown problems in MS knowledge base, but they don't seem tp apply. I have also tried Nvidia's site and the card manufacturer's sute without luck.

Miami Steve
13-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Buck, I dont know what experiences other people have had with the 40.xx drivers, but personally I have had to avoid them. I currently use the 30.82 drivers (Riva TNT2 on Win 2K Pro). Any detonator drivers since the 30.82 drivers (including the WHQL ones) have caused problems with software I run - specifically a screen flicker so bad it makes the screen unreadable when running "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". It may be that my card is not a true TNT2 (it's in a Gateway PC) because, other than the 30.82 and some earlier drivers, I have had trouble with the drivers seeing the card and have had to force the update.

That probably doesn't answer your question, but you may want to ask whether there is any tangible benefit to upgrading the drivers. I know I don't bother anymore.

Cheers
Miami

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 10:23 AM
I would agree, If they're working fine and there's no bug fix appicable to you or no new program, then I wouldnt bother.

Find a version (Its on the nVidia.com site) back at about 30.81, it seems to be the most stable/work with most PC's!

Again, its not really the answer to your question, but it'll fix the problem :)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 10:57 AM
>and now Win 98SE does not show the 'It's OK to turn off your computer' screen at shutdown.

is this a problem??

i usually disable that shutdown screen to help speed up the shutdown. i would leave it as it is as the pc will stil shutdown correctly and be a little quicker.