PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions For Faster Internet



unknown
13-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Im wanting to know if there are any alternative solutions to getting a faster connection when i connect to my isp?

crozier
13-01-2003, 07:18 AM
What do you mean by faster? What speed are you getting now.

There is a limiting factor of the maximum speed that your modem will allow, 56k. Not many people get that much, if you're getting close to 50k you're doing OK. If you're getting quite a bit lower than that it could be that you're using an extension cord or that your telcos wires are not up to it

If you live out of town and not getting anywhere near 50k a 'rural modem' as produced by Dynalink may help.

I would suggest an ADSL connection if speed is important to you.

Kame
13-01-2003, 12:29 PM
location location location. Well partially true. Depending on where you are from Gold candy covered to Wop wops you'll get varying speeds. Also not all modems are that great so maybe a new modem is required. If it ain't broken, tweak it :P Find programs that you can help tweak your system for internet.

There's probably more but I have to go now.

KK

Clueless
13-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Cable is nice

Of course you have to live in a priviledged area.

.Clueless

Kame
13-01-2003, 04:02 PM
:( Cable should be available in Auckland. Why do people care about huge black thick eye sore cables hanging overhead when they could have better internet... I think statistics points to more of the older generation disagreeing with it.

I wouldn't mind something like cable or at least 512Kb DSL for a good price but I'm dreaming here.

unknown
14-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Well at the moment i connect at around 40,000bps but i used to connect at 49,000 i dont live in the country and the phone line in my house is 56k compatiblie.

Clueless
14-01-2003, 05:43 PM
>and the phone line in my house is 56k compatiblie.

Sorry, but that is a contridiction of terms unless you live right nextdoor to the telephone exchange

Every metre of cable, every join, every damaged peice of insulation, every signal induced on your cable pair by something beside it will ensure that the 56k connection is just an theatretical max.

40 is a fairly respectible speed for dial up.. enjoy it while you got it!

.Clueless

unknown
14-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks anyway im back to my regular 49,000bps i just grabbed some new drivers and i forgot i haddent changed my country select after a recent fromat thanks anyway!

Clueless
14-01-2003, 06:29 PM
49!!!!!!

cor blimey... thats excellant

.Clueless

unknown
14-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah it was my usual and it stays usually so i can keep connected for bout 7 days is my record!

segfault
14-01-2003, 06:33 PM
> :( Cable should be available in Auckland. Why do
> people care about huge black thick eye sore cables
> hanging overhead when they could have better
> internet... I think statistics points to more of the
> older generation disagreeing with it.
>
> I wouldn't mind something like cable or at least
> 512Kb DSL for a good price but I'm dreaming here.

I would love to have cable here too (I'm in West Auckland). Although, I probably wouldn't be able to get it as all the phone and power cables are in the ground here. For other areas, I would much rather have cables hanging between poles than having driveways (and lawns presumably - you need to get the cable into your house) dug up all over the place.

I think wireless is probably going to be the best solution here. No wires :D

Clueless
14-01-2003, 06:37 PM
>I would much rather have cables hanging between poles than having driveways (and lawns presumably - you need to get the cable into your house) dug up all over the place.

mine came in underground, and one of the main cable routes went past my gate... it was effertless...

unknown
14-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Nah i wouldnt know about Aucklands cable im in perth and used to have it unti lwe moved X-(

sc0ut
14-01-2003, 08:23 PM
i hate ADSL i have it at home and i'm finding it slow when i down load i do it at work

i do all my downloading at my work GBs at a time

if you have a 100Mbps network card you must get a 100Mbps internet connection (and DAP, Download Accelerator Plus Software)

if you have a spare $10-$20 Gs a month (by Gs i mean Grand) i'd opt for FIBER

i'm luck i don't pay the bill
_ _
$ $
/
__/

crozier
14-01-2003, 09:55 PM
>i hate ADSL i have it at home and i'm finding it slow when i down load i do it at work

Do the word spoied mean anything to you? Our connection at work peaks at about 20 times my ADSL connection - but I'mhappy :)

sc0ut
14-01-2003, 10:58 PM
yes but if i play games at work :-) i get a Ping of 5-10 if there are no laggers
at home i get 90 if there are no laggers
remember LAN ping in 5

and i work hard for my money, ........... kina

Steve_L
15-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Just a note about 'connection speeds'... Many people measure this by looking at the Windows 'ISP Connection' box that is associated with those two tiny computer screen window icons that blink in the System Tray. Well, that just indicates the speed to the telephone exchange, or maybe just out from your house. This is my understanding - correct me if it is wrong.

But the true speed must be measured by other means. I use a freebie program called "Internet Connection Performance", and there is at least one web site that will do this for you (from your place to their site, and back). In ALL cases, your 40 or 49k speed will not be valid. In my opinion, if a dial up modem user gets even 3 or 4kps, they are doing OK. Sometimes I get as high as 4 or 5Kps and downloading a Mb or more is no problem.

Why not tweak your settings? The best freebie program that I have come across is XTEQ, found at CNET.COM / Downloads (and many other places), or try www.xteq.com

crozier
15-01-2003, 07:17 AM
>Yeah it was my usual and it stays usually so i can keep connected for bout 7 days is my record!

Just a thought here. If you're connecting for that amount of time I'm guessing that you're using a second phone line? Do you realise the cost of a Jetstream line is just $30, about the same as the second line.

Clueless
15-01-2003, 07:30 AM
>>>>Do you realise the cost of a Jetstream line is just $30, about the same as the second line

Same applies to anything like that... Thats one of the reasons i'm on cable, It is cheaper than a third phone line with dial-up

.Clueless

Clueless
15-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Steve L,
>>Well, that just indicates the speed to the telephone exchange, or maybe just out from your house.

Very true, but what else can we measure? Anything that goes further is measuring the state of everything between you and some server in the states.

Personally i like measuring the ping times between me and a local mail server, another cable user or such like, i expect a result either side of 10ms.. I see no point in including anything in the states or further as i know that that will add another 200+ms to the responce time.. interesting to note is that there are a few ISPs whose servers are connected via something very long or overloaded, as every now and then i find something "local" with a response time of 50ms

.Clueless

godfather
15-01-2003, 08:14 AM
> In ALL cases, your 40 or 49k speed will
> not be valid. In my opinion, if a dial up modem user
> gets even 3 or 4kps, they are doing OK. Sometimes I
> get as high as 4 or 5Kps and downloading a Mb or more
> is no problem.

A connect speed of 40 Kilo bits per second (kb/s) is a data speed of around 5 Kilo Bytes per second (kB/s). There are 8 bits to a Byte. Note the terminology b and B. They are not the same thing.

There is some communication overhead which will make it slower than 1/8th of the connect speed, but compression of data by can also increase the effective data throughput speed.

So the connect speed IS quite often valid, its just that it is expressed in a different method to the data transfer speed.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2003, 08:33 AM
>
> Why not tweak your settings? The best freebie program
> that I have come across is XTEQ, found at CNET.COM /
> Downloads (and many other places), or try
> www.xteq.com

X-Teq make it - Its called X-Setup and I agree!!!

It is excellent, but you need to be careful what you play with, and it can be VERY easy to kill a whole lot of stuff... But I think that the advantages far out-weigh the bads of using it.

Godfather> Can you explain to me about Network Transfer Speeds then.

If I've got 1Gigabyte - How long would that take to transfer at what speeds and stuff?

I've never really clicked on the bits/Bytes and what the difference is??

Thanks :)

tweak\'e
15-01-2003, 10:07 AM
> Many people measure this by looking at the Windows 'ISP Connection' box that is associated with those two tiny computer screen window icons that blink in the System Tray. Well, that just indicates the speed to the telephone exchange, or maybe just out from your house. This is my understanding - correct me if it is wrong.

thats just the reported logon speed. it does not always indicate actual data transfer speed. eg my logon is 44kb/s (4.4kB/s tranfer speed in theory) but i never get more than 2.8kB/s data transfer speed. however logon speed does give you an idea of speed, ie if its always 44k then drops to 33k then you know something has changed.

agent
15-01-2003, 10:19 AM
I find on my Win98 comp, it generally connects at 52,000 bps :D, sometimes going down to 48,000. On Win2000, it has only ever connected at 44 Kbps. Given factors like modem quality, phone line quality, and system bottlenecks, it shouldn't be this far apart, should it? I've never used tweaking tools on either of the computers. Perhaps now would be a good time to try on 2000...

unknown
15-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeh the second phone line does cost more but cable or adsl doesnt run trough my new area

Clueless
15-01-2003, 04:15 PM
:(

Psychonaut
15-01-2003, 09:23 PM
I'd recommend these two programs.

http://www.geocities.com/gcriaco/

and

http://www.proxomitron.org/

Once configured both will speed up your surfing

Steve_L
15-01-2003, 10:18 PM
<<A connect speed of 40 Kilo bits per second (kb/s) is a data speed of around 5 Kilo Bytes per second (kB/s). >>

Ahhhhhh...! ;) Yes, now I remember. Thanks for this very useful tidbit...!