PDA

View Full Version : P2P, KaZaA Lite speed issues

Faydrian
13-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Can any one help me with a speed problem?
I'm trying to download a large file (avi) and am leaving my computer on over night (or should I say nights) to do this. But it appears that whilst any other surfing I do with IE is up there around 49 to 53 KBs, when I load up KaZaA Lite that seems to drop to the floor.
Any one know how to get things speeding again?
Cheers

unknown
13-01-2003, 02:27 AM
use Speed-up (Comes with kazaa) and try some internet speed up tools such as Throttle and EasyMTU it happened to me aswell until i encounted these programs!

johnboy
13-01-2003, 07:41 AM
have you tried kazaa hack 2.02
http://www.directdelux.com/file.php donno if it works though :d

Synchronised_Thoughts
13-01-2003, 08:41 AM
just been reading this post and I was wondering... does Throttle and EasyMTU run on XP Home??

If so, what are the sites??
thanx

Synchronsied_Thoughts

roofus
13-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Whos your ISP. Some of them like E3 cripple the port speeds that P2P software uses. Hence you get slow downloads

Lohsing
13-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Hehe... avi files, eh? ;)

Lo.

Baldy
13-01-2003, 10:36 AM
If you are on dial-up and you are trying to download a large file, its going to take forever and a day.

How big is the file you are trying to download?

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 10:45 AM
I can remember downloading a file a while back on Kazaa. It was a music Video, about 150 megs and it took a few long nights and one steady connection... And that was on a 28K modem.

I would make sure that you can resume, as I'd bet you'll be cut off before the download finishes, depending on the size!

My 2c worth :)

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 10:51 AM
easyMTU is win9x/me only. there are 2k/xp apps arround. sorry don't have the url's at the mo.

roofus
13-01-2003, 11:01 AM
MTU settings can also be changed without the need for a programme to do it also.

Chilling, have you never used Kazza? all files on there are auto resume, as long as someone is on that has the same file you want.

I'm betting its his ISP causing the slowness though. incorrect MTU settings might see you drop from 56K to lets say 4.5K. But it's been stated that it drops through the floor, i'm guessing he's getting around 1k

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Yup, I've used Kazaa... Just gotta make sure that more than one person has the file to resume from, otherwise if they go offline, thats it!

I know that Kazaa Lite comes with Speed Up which works with XP, not too sure how effective it is.

Super Rabbit Magic Set (http://www.superrsoft.com) is able to change those settings AFAIK, and its XP compatible too!

kiwibeat
13-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Personally find it easier to just swap with others for large file saves wasted time and bandwidth

-=JM=-
13-01-2003, 11:23 AM
So what sort of speeds do you get when you are using Kazaa?

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 11:40 AM
I personally use WinMX, but I can get a 5 Meg file in about 4 minutes at max! Usually it'll take a wee longer coz Im surfing though.

Faydrian
14-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Are you hacking my computer? :o Spot on! Down below 1k even most of the time.
I also have the 'autodial', 'auto resume', auto capuccino, auto pilot :^o and everthing else auto going.
And yes I have used KaZaA then KaZaA Lite but only for non copyrighted music and programs :D

Faydrian
14-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Done some more research roofus. I'm with Kwik Net. It seems they are in with the 'Speed Cap Patrol'. It seems fine if it's non copyrighted music or free music video ;\ but to leave it running more than, say a couple of hours, then slowness speeds its way in there!!
Is there any way around that at all?

Opps! Perhaps I should start another thread?

roofus
15-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Any software they have is unlikely to be able to tell the difference between legal and illegal music/progs etc.
What they do is slow down the bandwidith to the ports such as Kazza, winmx etc. There is no way you personally can get around it. Bar changing ISP's

InverseEight
15-01-2003, 12:03 PM
It all depends on how many people have the file, how good their connections are, and how many users you download off.

You cannot say any one service is faster than another. It's all about who's using it at the time. Although the one large difference between Kazaa and WinMX is that Kazaa relies on it's users to act as servers, while WinMX has it's own High-Bandwidth servers. But this is really insignificant, as it only affects the speed of searches (both of which are relatively fast).

If you get one connection to a fast user, then this is generally the best: download has less chance of getting invalid bytes (in Compressed Archive(ZIP/RAR/etc): certain files can't be extracted, in Movie: stupid little "flickies" appear), less speed wasted on keeping open connections to multiple hosts.

Although with JetStart ("JetStream at Home..pft"), these multiple connections can help 'cheat' the 128k cap. Because the connections are often changing, it is easy to get speeds (and maintain them for a while) of about 35.5k/s. ("A While" = Long enough to help a 6mb MP3 complete about 3x faster than a single connection).

But now WinMX supports multiple connections, so Kazaa and WinMX are almost identical in offers, except Kazaa (normal) likes to offer a few more ad's than most people like.

Faydrian
15-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Ta very muchly, one and all! I get the idea!
Don't try and download 650 MBs worth of MPEG. :_|
Worth a try at finding out tho! :D

Chears again, I'm stoping watching this one. Not sure if I have to do anything to stop the whole 'kit and caboodle' tho!?

Do I have to start another thread to ask that one? :^O

Cheers again, all.