PDA

View Full Version : digital pictures on tv

kings
12-01-2003, 10:53 PM
My friend got his new Sony digital camera yesterday it takes great pictures so clear and has nice colour.just a couple of questions he asked me why the slight flicker on the tv screen when displaying digital pictures from the camera I said it may be because the tv is a 50 htz tube if it was 100htz you may not notice it.(it is not bad and hardly a distraction)is this the right answer?and the second question is there a free software programme that is good for transferring digital pictures from the camera to the PC,and how do users find the software suppied with the sony camera?Thanks people.

crozier
13-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Yes, the flicker is caused by the poor picture quality of the TV.

I would have thought that Sony would have supplied software on an CD ROM with the camera like everyone else does. If not try Sony's website witht eh model number. Windows XP includes software for such jobs and I would expect Sony cameras to be compatable with XP.

If all else fails, RTFM

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 11:51 AM
I purchased a Sony CP31 (Cybershot) for hubby for Xmas - and it came with software, but only for organising digital images in albums.

With the Cybershots you need to connect the camera to the PC via the USB port. Once the device has been connected, it should be detected as a removable disk (because you are using the memory stick, I assume). I think it allocates it to a spare drive letter, such as G:, and you can browse to that drive and simply cut/paste the files to a folder on your local machine.

Make sure the camera is switched on when you connect it, otherwise it won't detect.

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Oh - you may need to load the drivers, they ship with all Sony cameras on CD with the imaging program. If you can tell me what model camera it is I can hunt them down for you. Also, are you running XP on the PC you want to transfer the images to?

godfather
13-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Tv's actually only display 25 complete frames per second (not 50)
Each frame is composed of either even or odd lines (of the total 625 lines in the display)
So effectively 1/2 the picture is updated 50 times a second. This reduces the "flicker" that would otherwise occur. Its called Interlacing.

It could be that the camera does not use interlacing in its video output.

Its certainly not my preferred way of viewing digital photos.

I use Nero, and burn them to a CD-RW in VCD format, then play them on a DVD player, as a slide show. Quality is excellent.

kings
13-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your answers people,very helpful,The PC is running XP windows and the camera model is the cybershot p71.We seemed to get thumbnail size pictures in the software supplied by Sony but could not get larger size pictures,but it is new software( to us) and like all software you have to learn how to use it.Thanks

honeylaser
13-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi Kings

So I take it you have installed the Pixela ImageMixer album software which came on with the camera, installed the USB driver, and are connecting the camera to your PC via USB?
You should be able to open up Explorer and find the memory stick/camera as a removable drive somewhere (mine shows up as G: drive).

I believe that the software which ships with the Cybershots is only to organise albums, and isn't really intended for getting photos off the memory stick (which may be why you can only view in thumbnail form). It isn't necessary either - it just helps organise your photos.

If the resolution on the camera is set reasonably high, the photos should be 800k odd in size, and fairly large.